Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So just about done.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 52 Guests

So just about done.

This thread currently has 3,378 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
August 2, 2012, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from moosey_club

10 times stronger?

Well probably a bit of an exaggeration but we have much better strength in depth and our first eleven also looks much stronger. We had Ridley and Kempson starting games this time last season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
Billybigbollox
August 2, 2012, 10:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +3
A good start will make all the difference and should help us make the play offs ...........we are stronger this season for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
tonyfordsmicrofro
August 2, 2012, 10:26pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
I've only been to one pre season which was at Gainsborough and I don't know if it was because I was watching them more as they were new signings but I was impressed with Cook, Thomas, Niven, Hatton and Colbeck. It's difficult to judge for me at the minute as I can really only go on what people say on here and what I read/hear elsewhere but I do think we will be a better side than we were last season. Whether we will be a side that is strong enough to push for promotion remains to be seen but from what I have seen, read and heard about the new look Town, I'm 87.463% certain that we will start the first quarter of this season better than the last (not difficult I know) hopefully instilling some confidence early on. I think Mr Viv's opening post makes some very good points and as always at the start of the season, I'm optimistic that this could just be our year................. Fingers crossed!!

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
petethemariner
August 2, 2012, 10:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Personally, ability wise i think we have a squad better than all or at least most of any team  in this division, my only reservation is that even now S & H aren't seem  a bit undecided on the  formation that most suits our players, i would have been much happier if they had come out and said we are playing 442 or 433 etc, they seem , from their comments very unsure  about it at the moment, of course you have to adjust tactics to  suit the opposition, but my main worry when we play 433 is the amount of goals we have  conceded, certainly   in pre-season games, perhaps it would be best to stick to a rigid 442, definitely in away games and make a decision on who the 2 up front will be.
Having said that, they know better than me, so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
August 2, 2012, 10:46pm
Guest User
I think we'll be promoted by December.

:?
Reply: 14 - 36
80sglory
August 2, 2012, 11:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91
We need another winger cause we have three at the minute and that is including Artus.

Agree we ideally need an addition on the left side.
Frankie can do a job but a back up left back/left mid would be nice (maybe Morrell can do a job too but it's asking a lot).

Apart from that think the squad has got some good additions and plenty of competition so generally happy.
That said, dDo we know what the best team is ?

Time will tell whether we're good enough collectively - think central midfield could again be key.

Reply: 15 - 36
tonyfordsmicrofro
August 3, 2012, 12:09am

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
Like Petethemariner said though, I'm not sure if the managers are decided on their preferred formation yet. If they go 433 do we really need a left winger? Going on what I saw at Gainborough, Aswad Thomas could be enough to put the shits up opposition on the left side and it was pretty evident in that game, particularly the first half that the managers were asking the midfield to cover the back four whilst the full backs were going forward. I suppose what I'm getting at is, are there really any real left sided, out and out true wingers that can play in a wingers role at Conference level? I'm sceptical if I'm honest.

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
TAGG
August 3, 2012, 1:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from mr viv
So what do we all think then? Were just about done,our squad is very nearly complete. Myself i am very happy and confident with the business SnH have done. They have broight in experience but experience that is still at a good age as in Niven Colbeck Pearson and Ford. Youth that has done well as in Cook Hatton and Thomas. Combine these with the signings made late on last season as in Soares and Miller the shape of the squad is excellent. Soares having seen five pre season games is imo going to take the league by storm and is a clear talent. The five strikers all have the ability to find the net without question and of course with there being five of them if you aint scoring you aint in the team!! Ford will without doubt keep Pearson and Miller on their toes and his experience imo will prove vital. We have three quality full backs scrapping for two berths and four central mids scrapping for two berths. Every player who will be on the bench for the Southport game whoever that will be? could be in the starting 11 at any time and indeed could come on and change or win us a game. That is always something that indicates the strength and depth of your squad and its something we havent had in our starting 11 never mind on the bench in years.........x.UTMx

Just a quick question. Have you seen him play?

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
mr viv
August 3, 2012, 6:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Have i seen him play? Well as i stated i have seen 5 pre season games so yes i have. So obviously you dont ratw him then? His a different player to last season by miles and lets not forget he smashed in 18 goals last season before he arrived.Obviously i might be wrong but the way he is starting to glide confidently past players he certainly looks the part to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
TAGG
August 3, 2012, 7:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from mr viv
Have i seen him play? Well as i stated i have seen 5 pre season games so yes i have. So obviously you dont ratw him then? His a different player to last season by miles and lets not forget he smashed in 18 goals last season before he arrived.Obviously i might be wrong but the way he is starting to glide confidently past players he certainly looks the part to me

No I dont rate him from watching him last season. I will take your word that he's been a lot better but I will reserve judgement until I see him when I get home some time in September. I hope your right and I'm wrong about him  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So just about done.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.