This thread currently has 2,654 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Devonmatt
August 1, 2012, 2:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
First of all a great following of fans not quite matched by the performance on the pitch.

Had all the ball but not ruthless enough.  Should have been three up at half time but that probably wouldn't have been enough.  Took the foot of the gas with twenty to go.

However, take it for what it is, another game under the belt, get used to not playing well and winning (grinding it out) and plenty of areas to work on.

All the 1st team lads not involved tonight (Lincoln) including those who came off the bench will be involved tomorrow night (North Ferriby) including Hearn (if he has no reaction to training).

No first team place is at this stage secured.  Everything is still up for grabs.

A very calm and balanced interview, I thought, from Mr Scott.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
August 1, 2012, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,985
Gold Stars: 365
It's easy to be calm and balanced after a win in a relatively insignificant match. Personal challenge for Rob Scott this season is to rid himself of the petulance and try to keep calm and lucid post match, whatever the outcome. There were a few frankly cringeworthy, peevish moments last year that didn't show him in a very good light (eg, the pointless and childish spat with Tondeur from RH). I hope we see a slightly different Rob Scott post match this season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Youngy
August 1, 2012, 6:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,690
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from chaos33
It's easy to be calm and balanced after a win in a relatively insignificant match. Personal challenge for Rob Scott this season is to rid himself of the petulance and try to keep calm and lucid post match, whatever the outcome. There were a few frankly cringeworthy, peevish moments last year that didn't show him in a very good light (eg, the pointless and childish spat with Tondeur from RH). I hope we see a slightly different Rob Scott post match this season.

Scott became a Dad for the first time this summer, maybe being a Dad will calm Rob down a tad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Super Clive
August 1, 2012, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Doubt it and why should it? He is what he is, that's the beauty of having management duo ones a kunt the other is quietly spoken, but mainly they both talk a good game.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
RoboCod
August 1, 2012, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I like the bit "Scott was more impressed with Town's 812 travelling fans than his players."

Whereas Holdsworth probably thought the opposite at his end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Rick12
August 1, 2012, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Devonmatt

No first team place is at this stage secured.  Everything is still up for grabs.

UTM
nice to see there is no hierarchy at the club if he stands by what he says (players are being judged on performances alone and not on past reputations which I think is good)

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
80sglory
August 2, 2012, 2:33am
Guest User
Slightly concerned about the interview tbh.

If the plan is to "grind out" wins I've got this horrible feeling of deja vu.
Maybe it's just bad history/memories and it's gonna work this time round but never convinced by a defensive minded approach (especially when it hasn't worked at the club for so long)

When he talks about Thanoj & co needing to realise their potential I wonder how good he thinks we really are going forward and whether that's the underlying reason for a more pragmatic mindset.
If so suppose I can understand it but genuinely think ability and confidence of attacking players is only likely to increase once we show more bravery to attack and realise it's rewards (instead of always defending 1 goal leads).

Accept his Chelsea example but think it's the more the black swan exception than the rule.

Funny I thought the general consensus was we needed a good start but now I'm concerned it's more about avoiding a bad one.

End of the day keeping it tight is only a lower risk strategy IF you keep a clean sheet but whatever you do there's always risks involved.
If you DO concede you've suddenly got to switch your tactics to attack and deliver anyway.
And assuming that works then it begs the question "So why weren't we doing it to start off with ?..."
If relegation is any benchmark I doubt a shed load of 0-0's will do much good long term either.
Don't get me wrong not saying we don't or won't attack from the off, just wish we'd KEEP attacking and not keep reverting to type.
Maybe Scott feels the same but I'm becoming more unconvinced. (especially after his comment about going to places playing 4-3-3?)

Hopefully we'll be up there chasing the playoffs but my hope of us reaching for the stars has all but disappeared.  

When are we gonna start to seize the opportunity and get those valuable 2 goal cushions that allow the players more freedom to express their ability, boost confidence all over and help run up cricket scores to get us on a roll of confidence ?
No co-incidence the confidence to express ourselves was there right at the VERY end(i.e. when we knew victory was in the bag) vs Scunny !

Can't we try to bust a gut to finish teams off at 1-0 instead of taking our foot off the gas all the time to defend and play with fire ?  
I've heard Scott say before there are times when you need to defend and certainly agree, but don't think it's wise to make a conscious decision to do it regularly. (or is it just a subconsious habit we can't get out of ?...)
See we got pegged back again to 1-1 tonight so I'll go for the same result at Southport - Town dominating and scoring but then conceding in the final minute when trying to shut up shop. (fingers crossed we'll scrape a 1-0 though).

Sorry for the "negativity", just concerned we're not learning our lessons and that we won't gain the same momentum we showed last season until we're practically forced to come out of our shell to do it. (like when I said beating Lincoln away last season could lead to a great run and you'll notice there was no comfort blanket of victory via penalites that day !)

Cue someone quoting my entire post with a derogatory 1 line reply...   
Reply: 6 - 17
MingMingMariner
August 2, 2012, 5:00am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from 1600

Maybe it's just bad history/memories and it's gonna work this time round but never convinced by a defensive minded approach (especially when it hasn't worked at the club for so long)

When he talks about Thanoj & co needing to realise their potential I wonder how good he thinks we really are going forward and whether that's the underlying reason for a more pragmatic mindset.
If so suppose I can understand it but genuinely think ability and confidence of attacking players is only likely to increase once we show more bravery to attack and realise it's rewards (instead of always defending 1 goal leads).

Accept his Chelsea example but think it's the more the black swan exception than the rule.

Funny I thought the general consensus was we needed a good start but now I'm concerned it's more about avoiding a bad one.

End of the day keeping it tight is only a lower risk strategy IF you keep a clean sheet but whatever you do there's always risks involved.
If you DO concede you've suddenly got to switch your tactics to attack and deliver anyway.
And assuming that works then it begs the question "So why weren't we doing it to start off with ?..."
If relegation is any benchmark I doubt a shed load of 0-0's will do much good long term either.
Don't get me wrong not saying we don't or won't attack from the off, just wish we'd KEEP attacking and not keep reverting to type.
Maybe Scott feels the same but I'm becoming more unconvinced. (especially after his comment about going to places playing 4-3-3?)

Hopefully we'll be up there chasing the playoffs but my hope of us reaching for the stars has all but disappeared.  

When are we gonna start to seize the opportunity and get those valuable 2 goal cushions that allow the players more freedom to express their ability, boost confidence all over and help run up cricket scores to get us on a roll of confidence ?
No co-incidence the confidence to express ourselves was there right at the VERY end(i.e. when we knew victory was in the bag) vs Scunny !

Can't we try to bust a gut to finish teams off at 1-0 instead of taking our foot off the gas all the time to defend and play with fire ?  
I've heard Scott say before there are times when you need to defend and certainly agree, but don't think it's wise to make a conscious decision to do it regularly. (or is it just a subconsious habit we can't get out of ?...)
See we got pegged back again to 1-1 tonight so I'll go for the same result at Southport - Town dominating and scoring but then conceding in the final minute when trying to shut up shop. (fingers crossed we'll scrape a 1-0 though).

Sorry for the "negativity", just concerned we're not learning our lessons and that we won't gain the same momentum we showed last season until we're practically forced to come out of our shell to do it. (like when I said beating Lincoln away last season could lead to a great run and you'll notice there was no comfort blanket of victory via penalites that day !)

I think he says in the interview that we need to be more ruthless so I dont think he's gonna be going to shut up shop early doors. We created plenty of chances in the lincoln game on another day the score could of been 5-1. Saying that it does concern me a little that sometimes we sit too deep and invite pressure. Im sure Scott and Hurst are aware of this thou and it will be worked on. It is only pre-season after all. The real test starts on the 11th and im sure we will start well. Pre-season's about working out strengths and weakness in the team then getting it right for the season. Im sure they will do just that. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
GodHelpUs
August 2, 2012, 5:40am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600

The point is 80s that you don't have to write a dissertation to get your point across every time you post!  You really do take these interviews far too seriously and disect them to the nth degree. What is said in interviews is for public consumption only, what goes on behind the dressing room door is quite a different matter.

Lighten up for pity's sake!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Biccys
August 2, 2012, 9:54am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 1600

TL;DR.....  

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rob Scott - Post Match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.