2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
July 20, 2012, 11:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Scanned the board quickly and haven't seen one of these so I thought I'd start one myself.

Have come away tonight feeling rather optimistic, although it was only a pre-season game I felt we matched Hull and it was a pretty even game.

Everyone did well tonight but stand-out performers for me were Colbeck, Wood and the centre backs - they were excellent IMO. I also like the look of Thomas, Niven and Cook. One thing that struck me is that we seem to be strong in depth and have different options available.

Good to see Hull bringing a decent number of fans aswell.

Any other thoughts?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
July 21, 2012, 12:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,217
Gold Stars: 220
Yeah, I've had a thought - why do women always pour big drinks and then never finish them before they go to bed?

Only kidding Seems like Colbeck has impressed a few of us... Cook seems to be a good addition (better than Duffy?) and Soares has shown some form. Wonder which strike partnership the managers will go with next - maybe back to 4-3-3?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
chipsandgravy
July 21, 2012, 12:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,648
Gold Stars: 38
Centre backs were outstanding IMO and Wood had a great game. I don't think Niven would be happy with his half in all honesty as he gave the ball away far to often. Should not try the long pass he can't do it. Other than that a very optimistic performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
80sglory
July 21, 2012, 1:23am
Guest User
Everyone did their job really well in every department. (especially at the back)

Add some good glimpses of attacking and (patient) passing play and you can't ask for a lot more than that !  

1st half

............Mckeown
Wood....,Pearson...Miller...Thomas
Colbeck...Niven....Thanoj...Artus
.........Cook......G.Pearson

It wasn't all one way traffic - we had our moments threatening pushing them back too.
Perhaps Hull weren't that great(relatively) but we made it difficult for them and helped make them look ordinary.

Towards the end of the half they were starting to look more dangerous "in the hole" but organisationally and positionally we were fantastic tonight and defended really well as a team.

2nd half (generally)

............McKeown
Hatton...Pearson....Miller...Wood
Colbeck..Disley.....Thanoj...Soares
.........Southwell..Elding

More of a defensive performance but still lots to admire.
Worried as we fell deeper and deeper but whilst Hull could have nicked it, so could we and they ultimately failed to break us down.
If anything I was disappointed we didn't have more of a go at them in the last 10 mins but it's totally understandable at 0-0.
Equally not suprised 4-3-3 failed to materialise as we held on for a deserved draw.

So we've done a fantastic job defensively + in many aspects of our outfield play showing a great attitude.
Can we go to the lext level and become a really creative and attacking force ?...
Foundations are there and judging by last season's goals I wouldn't bet against it !
We're also doing the basics very well and seem to be realising that the fundamentals like e.g keeping the ball and then playing it simple to the man in space is often a great leveller.

But for me it's definitely "keep feet firmly on the ground" time because it's up to us to also show a creative attacking side home AND away(which is never a piece of cake)

It's also up to the players to treasure the same great attitude, concentration and application and apply it over the entrie season.
Perhaps the last thing they should do is to relax and forget what has got them their rewards and put them in such a good light over the last 2 games.

But whilst the signs are very encouraging, let's not get too overexcited just yet ?
We've done eveything we've wanted to do very well so far, but creativity, goals and attacking play ultimately win you things (not saying we can't or won't though !)

Anyway a bloody big well done to everyone !
UTM.

MY RATINGS....

Fleming 8 - Competent saves and did what he had to. Good handling & distribution and commanded his area well.

Thomas 7.5 - One risked tackle backfired but a good overall performance. Likeable long passes which seem to go to the man more often than not (are we working on this in general ? )  
Got forward too but for an attacking fullback I'd like to see him run into acres of open space more at times.

Miller 8.5 - Slow to accelerate and almost got caught wrong side of his man again but really good performance, commanding in the air, shouting to push out & a couple of crucial blocks !

Pearson 8 - Not the quickest but wasn't skinned for pace against the flyers and sticks to his task and man like glue ! Won't ever be the greatest ball player from the back but if he made a mistake I didn't see it.

Wood 9(MOM) - Looked sharp and up for it from the off. Put in a typically hardworking performance topped off with some intelligent (and also creative) passing as well as some good crossing and attacking intent. Was slightly concerned about his positioning so close to the centre back but he covered everywhere relentlessly.
Competetion at right back looks up for grabs !

Artus 7.5 - Worked hard and broke play up very well early with some good challenges.  Didn't make a lot happen going forward but was a bit isloated out wide. Probably better in the centre but covered and did his job well tonight.

Thanoj 7.5 - Patrolled the centre well and grew ino the game the more it went on, spreading play. Not always the quickest to move after picking up the ball but show glimpses of athleticism and attacking intent running forward. Technically very promising and no reason why he won't be effective but just how much remains to be seen.

Niven 6 - Got his foot in and did his job well but had a crisis of confidence in the passing dept that seemed to snowball. Looked jaded to me like he was feeling the effects of his Donny performance and no suprise (and good decision) when he was withdrawn at H/T.
Perhaps not the greatest ballplayer but that's not why he's here. So not too worried about this performance which we can probably write off.

Colbeck - 8.5 Loved how he took the game to the opposition with his pace and forward runs into space. Combative, direct and just a really good all round perfomance.

Cook 8 - Proved a handful physically for Hull tonight. Once again was good in the air, held it up well and showed good feet.  

G Pearson 7 - Looked to me like the defence were trying to pick him out with his twisty runs but we couldn't really get him in behind. Obviously nippy he shows a touch of class when he's on the ball and I think he'll probably do well once we can get him involved in the game more.

Subs

Hatton 7 - Can't knock him and did well going forward again but I just sense he's not rock solid when defending against attackers taking him on (though there's nothing I can specifically point to tonight). Thought it was a good idea by S&H to put him at left back for a while cos he can play anywhere across the back 4.

Disley 7 - Looked sharper tonight and did a good job showing vision to move the ball quickly. Maybe unfair I just wonder if he's as defensively aware as other players. Doesn't look overly convincing or quick running back. Think we need to try him in this more attacking midfield role again.

Soares 7.5 - Not involved a lot this time but again showed exciting flashes with his Cruyff turn on the left and cutting through the middle, Time will tell if the end product is always gonna be there but you can't argue there isn't something of genuine promise to offer.

Southwell 7.5 - Showed some good bits of skill again. How much game time he gets is up for debate but a promosing player who shouldn't be overlooked cos if we can get him into the right areas he could well deliver.

Elding 7 - Couldn't really get into it. Some good passes and some shorter hospital ones. Not a lot learnt here.

Josh Morrell(YT) - Only on for 5 mins. Didn't see the ball but got into acres of space on the left and slightly disappointed no-one spotted him.

Essay over (Thank god ! Don't think I'll do this every game...  )
Reply: 3 - 18
80sglory
July 21, 2012, 1:24am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
Scanned the board quickly and haven't seen one of these so I thought I'd start one myself.

Have come away tonight feeling rather optimistic, although it was only a pre-season game I felt we matched Hull and it was a pretty even game.

Everyone did well tonight but stand-out performers for me were Colbeck, Wood and the centre backs - they were excellent IMO. I also like the look of Thomas, Niven and Cook. One thing that struck me is that we seem to be strong in depth and have different options available.

Good to see Hull bringing a decent number of fans aswell.

Any other thoughts?

That's the shortened version for anyone who can't be @rsed to read mine !  
Reply: 4 - 18
pleasegoup
July 21, 2012, 1:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
the goalkeeper was fleming not mckeown.

we some really nice neat football and as far as im concerned we were the best team for the first hour at least.

the really impressive thing for me though, was the school of excellence players at half time. some of them had a better touch and composure on the ball than some pros ive seen.

really really exciting for the future if they keep progressing and we keep hold of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
80sglory
July 21, 2012, 2:09am
Guest User
I put Fleming too.
Must have put McKeown out of habit when writing formations.
Thanks for pointing that out.    
Reply: 6 - 18
aaron rattray
July 21, 2012, 8:04am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I thought we passed very well at times and we broke up play excellently, i liked it how everytime hull had a shot there was always somebody jumping in the way in an attempt to block it, lets hope this happens every game, a bit concerned with decision  making when players are clean through but they don't run into the empty space they just pass it, artus Thomas and colbeck did it a few times, but we look intelligent, and i liked when hull had a lot of possession we didn't panic and start flying into daft tackles and leave gaps, we kept calm and we stuck to our job very very well and for the first time in like 4 or 5 years i actually felt confident when defending that we wouldn't concede a goal, we showed some very promising signs, and everybody and i mean everybody without exception put in a shift full of flair style and commitment

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Jarmo.Is.God
July 21, 2012, 9:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
G.Pearson for me is the best signing, won't score much goals, but at holding the ball up, and with it at his feet, he is top draw, brilliant player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
TownSNAFU5
July 21, 2012, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,935
Gold Stars: 42
Thanks for all the reviews - especially valued for the new players.   We do seem to have more quality options this seasons to challenge for places and cover injuries etc.

We have the quality and desire to do well at home. The key to success this season might be working really hard away from home on a consistent basis. We have more character and fighting qualities in the team to dig in and fight when we have to. Niven has a key role to play here, as do the 2 (excellent) CBs.

Seems Elding could not get into the game last night from the reports.  With greater competition up front this season (numbers and quality), I sense that he will play more of a squad role this season, possibly coming on for the last 20 mins of games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.