Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Starting 11?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 92 Guests

Starting 11?

This thread currently has 3,241 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
July 16, 2012, 6:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
I've been thinking about the lack of defensive cover and my expectation is that we may only see two more signings - Gk cover and central defense cover.

My observation from last season is that S&H place a lot of value on a settled back 5, maybe even back 6 inc Niven.  They want quick attacking full backs and centre backs who will give their all.  Whilst Garner and I'Anson may have had more footballing ability I think S&H felt they weren't quite made of the right stuff.  The first aim next season will be to be organised in defence and keep clean sheets and for that you want a settled side.  Wood will be a utility man on the bench and there'll some places in the squad for one or two reserve team bodies who will be mainly there to make up numbers.  If there is a long term injury or loss of form, they'll look to the loan market rather than tie up budget all season.

In midfield and upfront, it's different as they'll want to adjust tactics both home and away and for footballing sides and cloggers.  So it's worth having a few strong options in the squad to allow 442, 433 and to bring on quality from the bench.  This is why we seem to have a top heavy squad.

I may be wrong and next week we'll probably sign two class central defenders but this is my theory for now!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
MeanwoodMariner
July 16, 2012, 7:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
The 442 line up being suggested by most seems to make a lot more sense to me. There were things that could be improved on from last season but I never thought we were crying out for a change of formation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
Ollie
July 16, 2012, 11:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
                   McKeown

Hatton     Miller         Pearson   Thomas

Niven
            Thanoj          Artus

Pearson           Cook           Hearn
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
80sglory
July 17, 2012, 12:17am
Guest User
Don't know yet but I'd start like this (to experiment) vs Donny.

....................McKeown
Hatton.....Miller.....Pearson...Thomas
..............Niven.....Thanoj
Colbeck........Disley...........Soares
...................Cook

4-5-1/4-4-1-1.
Reply: 23 - 46
Southwark Mariner
July 17, 2012, 12:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
wow....no hearn! That's bold

looks a good team though when you can afford to have Hearn on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
80sglory
July 17, 2012, 12:24am
Guest User
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
wow....no hearn! That's bold

That's me mate !  

Reply: 25 - 46
TonySmith
July 17, 2012, 3:04am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +977
Gold Stars: 11

Quoted Text
McKeown

Niven
            Thanoj          Artus

That looks like a pretty decent team to me, especially with Colbeck, Disley,Soares, and Elding waiting in the wings. Any of them could end up as starters and I would have no problem. And Bradley Wood is on the bench as cover for several positions. We definitely need a third recognized center half quickly though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
TAGG
July 17, 2012, 3:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Ino we've got a few more people to come in, but what does everyone think it will be or hope it will be?

I'd think it will be..

McKeown

Niven
             Disley          Artus

What is it with people on here. What is the obsession with playing Hearn out wide???? These people cant have seen him wasted in that position at the back end of last season.
He scored all his goals playing up top and was our best player last season because he was in that position.
Before any one brings up his playing days at other clubs just fook off because it is irrelevant that's in the past, the point is what he has done and will continue to do in a Town shirt.
Play Hearn wide and it will end in tears.
As for 80s who has left him out of his starting 11           get a grip man.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
biggles9999
July 17, 2012, 7:19am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from TAGG

What is it with people on here. What is the obsession with playing Hearn out wide???? These people cant have seen him wasted in that position at the back end of last season.
He scored all his goals playing up top and was our best player last season because he was in that position.
Before any one brings up his playing days at other clubs just fook off because it is irrelevant that's in the past, the point is what he has done and will continue to do in a Town shirt.

If he hadnt scored shed loads of goals from the wing forward position at his PAST clubs then he probably wouldnt be playing for Town now, so i'd hazard a guess that the past is still pretty relevant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
ginnywings
July 17, 2012, 7:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TAGG

The problem last year though was that when we put Hearn at the left of a front three (not out wide as some people are saying) it left us short in the middle. In effect, we needed Hearn centrally because Elding, Duffy and Coulson were nowhere near prolific enough. We have far better options up front now and will maybe not need as many goals from Hearn to carry the team. He is just as capable of beating the full back and whipping over a cross for someone else to score as he is cutting inside and scoring himself. When he played left for Alfreton, they were successful and got promoted with that system.

I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility with the players we have now. I also expect (hope for) more goals from midfield this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Starting 11?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.