Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which England Strikers?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 93 Guests

Which England Strikers?

This thread currently has 2,981 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
May 15, 2012, 12:49pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from biggles9999
I know its a strikers thread but was bored so thought I would go the whole hog!

GK: Hart, Green Carson
Def: Johnson, Richards, Baines, Cole, Jones, Ferdinand, Cahill (if fit), Lescott
Mid: Barry, Parker (again if fit), Carrick, Lampard, Young, Johnson, Milner, Walcott
Fwd: Carroll, Bent (see Parker and Cahill), Wellbeck, Crouch. Obviously Rooney will go mind so from that bunch I would drop Bent.

Would then play a 451 of Johnson, Ferdinand, Lescott and Cole at the back. Barry and Parker shielding. Walcott, Young and Adam Johnson off the front man - Carroll. You can then bring Rooney to play behind a striker after the first 2.

I would only take 2 keepers. I've never seen the point in 3 - it's rare that two get used. Use the extra place for an outfield player

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 53
Corkyefes
May 15, 2012, 12:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
I would find it hard to look past Rooney, Holt, Defoe and Sturridge.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
mariner91
May 15, 2012, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,785
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

He'd be the first striker I'd pick after Rooney. Of course he's worth nothing like £35 million but he's in form, is decent technically and will give other teams problems. We're nowhere near good enough to pass it through teams so I'd play proper wide men like Adam Johnson, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, get it wide and get in the box quickly. We'll cause better teams than us more problems doing that than we will trying to play through them.

My thinking too. We aren't as technically good as most the teams. Lets bully them with pace and strength and you don't get much stronger than Carroll. There is a case for Holt in there but I think Carroll has more about him and has just hit form. He hasn't been great for Liverpool but was immense for Newcastle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
jimgtfc
May 15, 2012, 12:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,113
Gold Stars: 46
I think roy will go with, Rooney, Welbeck and Bent. With Walcott and Sturridge who can play in a few positions, also in the squad.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
biggles9999
May 15, 2012, 1:19pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I would only take 2 keepers. I've never seen the point in 3 - it's rare that two get used. Use the extra place for an outfield player

Its a ruling that there has to be 3 keepers in a squad I believe. I cant find the article at the moment but an international team attempted to only name 2 keepers and an extra striker. Were told they couldnt and the ensuing problems led to them being fined.

Edit:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/26/world-cup-2010-three-goalkeepers

http://www.worldcupblog.org/wo.....ns-the-hard-way.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
marinerian
May 15, 2012, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Defoe is awful imo. Holt and Crouch deserve to go imo and Sturridge can play uptop or further wide.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
prestonmariner
May 15, 2012, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Fishfinger
I don't know why so many think Carroll will get picked. Up until only very recently, he has had a shocking season!! Holt/Crouch definitely deserve a place instead of him along with Welbeck and Rooney IMO

This is so true, Carroll has had an awful season, and if he gets put in ahead of Crouch (who has a decent international scoring record), it would be a massive injustice.

As forwards go, i would take Rooney, Crouch, Defoe & Welbeck. But i think Sturridge will go as a winger.

I can see why people think Holt should get a chance as well, but not in the Euro's, when he's never played international before. He could flop big time.

But only time will tell what Roy thinks. And G.Nev of course.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
mariner91
May 15, 2012, 1:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,785
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from prestonmariner

This is so true, Carroll has had an awful season, and if he gets put in ahead of Crouch (who has a decent international scoring record), it would be a massive injustice.

Because when he plays well he is unstoppable. The same cannot be said about Crouch. And he only scores against the crap international teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
prestonmariner
May 15, 2012, 2:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mariner91

Because when he plays well he is unstoppable. The same cannot be said about Crouch. And he only scores against the crap international teams.

But can we risk taking Carroll if he's going to play shocking like he does 75% of the time. I know this can be said about any player we might take, but i just think we should go for players who have had all-round better seasons. And for me, Crouch has just had a great season.
I was in the Bolton end on sunday away at Stoke, and his control of the ball and ability to bring other players into the game is phenomenal,

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
Maringer
May 15, 2012, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,690
Gold Stars: 189
Carroll is a carthorse. He'll be penalised left, right and centre by the referees in international football. Holt is less of a carthorse but will still be penalised by the refs for strong challenges and, I think, also lacks the pace for international football.

I'm not really a fan, but I suppose Defoe has scored here and there at international level so I'd have him in the squad in the hope that he gets on a goalscoring run. I think Welbeck will go for his mobility and work rate. Sturridge has a good bit of ability but has not been in good form of late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which England Strikers?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.