Shrinking playing squad

This thread currently has 2,462 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
STB
May 4, 2012, 10:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Surely we could use Trust members as volunteer players to further reduce the wage bill.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Les Brechin
May 4, 2012, 10:56am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 1054
I find it ridiculous that some folk on here are getting excited by who scitt and hurst are gonna bring in for silk, i'anson, coulson etc

All that is happening is more penny pinching saving on playets wsges throughout yhe summer months!  Typical short termism from fenty

The end i fear, is nigh. . .

We'll be bottom half next season!

You've not heard the news that The Conference is to become a 5-a-side league next season then?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
oldun
May 4, 2012, 11:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I can understand some of the concern about the shrinking squad, rest assured S & H will have all bases covered. Using their network of contacts, internet intelligence and from watching many games themselves they have built up a comprehensive database of potential new players to bring to GTFC based on the allocated playing budget and the style of play they believe will achieve success. Tha database covers all positions in the team based on a squad of 20 or so players. This will be made up of first choice first team squad (16 players) plus 4 or 5 players for cover and who have potential to develop further. For each position they have identified their top preferred target together with a second choice if they are unable to sign the first choice. There is also a back up list to be considered if neither of the first 2 are available/want to come here. If not needed the back up list will be watched further as the season develops with a view to possible loan signings and/or attempts to sign in January depending upon which positions they feel need to be strenthened. They have already identified targets should any of the existing contracted players be transferred out of the club, for example if the club accepts an offer for Liam Hearn and he agrees to move. So you can see with careful planning and an oversupply of players looking for clubs we have no need to have concerns about the shrinking squad. A clear strategy, forward planning and skillful negotiating skills are all in place to ensure 2012/13 is THE season. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
STB
May 4, 2012, 11:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from oldun
I can understand some of the concern about the shrinking squad, rest assured S & H will have all bases covered. Using their network of contacts, internet intelligence and from watching many games themselves they have built up a comprehensive database of potential nplayers to bring to GTFC based on the allocated playing budget and the style of play they believe will achieve success. Tha database covers all positions in the team based on a squad of 20 or so players. This will be made up of first choice first team squad (16 players) plus 4 or 5 players for cover and who have potential to develop further. For each position they have identified their top preferred target together with a second choice if they are unable to sign the first choice. There is also a back up list to be considered if neither of the first 2 are available/want to come here. If not needed the back up list will be watched further as the season develops with a view to possible loan signings and/or attempts to sign in January depending upon which positions they feel need to be strenthened. They have already identified targets should any of the existing contracted players be transferred out of the club, for example if the club accepts an offer for Liam Hearn and he agrees to move. So you can see with careful planning and an oversupply of players looking for clubs we have no need to have concerns about the shrinking squad. A clear strategy, forward planning and skillful negotiating skills are all in place to ensure 2012/13 is THE season. UTM

I knew they could use ceefax.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
grimsbyreaper
May 4, 2012, 11:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Quoted from STB

I knew they could use ceefax.  

We are definitely copulated then. Ceefax to be switched off by Oct 24th 2012

I thought I had seen the end of the world. Desolation, Isolation, Destruction, Mutants and the end of Civilisation.
Turns out bloody Tom Tom had directed me through Scunthorpe City Centre.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 27
mariner91
May 4, 2012, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from grimsbyreaper

We are definitely copulated then. Ceefax to be switched off by Oct 24th 2012

Its fine, the transfer window will have shut by then, don't worry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2012, 1:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
I see the usual naysayers have come out of the woodwork.

Normal squad turnover that happens at every club in the land at this time of the year is being used as a stick to beat S&H.

The same people who complain at our finishing league position are now complaining that the players who achieved this feat are being released.

No one knows who is coming in and whether they will be better than those they are replacing. Think i'll wait and see before i pass judgement on the outgoings.

Absolutely right. Which of the released players was likely to suddenly become our star turn next season? The managers have secured most of the core of the side - GK CB(2) CM(2+) CF(2+) and are obviously looking for players who are better than the ones released. At least let's wait & see.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
rancido
May 4, 2012, 2:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,609
Gold Stars: 96

Absolutely right. Which of the released players was likely to suddenly become our star turn next season? The managers have secured most of the core of the side - GK CB(2) CM(2+) CF(2+) and are obviously looking for players who are better than the ones released. At least let's wait & see.

Spot on observation. As has been previously mentioned none of the players released have really shone this season with the exception of Coulson and he IMO was very hit and miss with his performances.We have retained the " spine " of the team and I'm fairly confident that The Mighty Duo will have had potential replacements in their plans prior to deciding to release players. They may have been set back by I'Anson rejecting the offer ( as indicated in GET Friday )but I'm sure they will have allowed for this. Some of the players signed last summer were on 1 year contracts which to me is indicative that these players were never intended to be part of any long term plans ( unless of course they really impressed ). Too often under the last three previous managers players were signed on long contracts with the result that when they didn't perform as well as expected it became a costly exercise to get rid. If nothing else The Dynamic Duo have proved to be ruthless when it comes to removing under-achieving players. They are used to working with tight budgets in the non-league scene and know what wages get you what kind of player.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
TheCurlyMariner12
May 4, 2012, 3:04pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from rancido

They are used to working with tight budgets in the non-league scene and know what wages get you what kind of player.

Exactly, there not stupid, they would'nt of let them players go unless they'd already lined up replacements, like Hurst said they've had targets since January, i fully trust them to go and make the right signings.

UTM !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
cod.gtfc
May 4, 2012, 3:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from rancido

Spot on observation. As has been previously mentioned none of the players released have really shone this season with the exception of Coulson and he IMO was very hit and miss with his performances.We have retained the " spine " of the team and I'm fairly confident that The Mighty Duo will have had potential replacements in their plans prior to deciding to release players. They may have been set back by I'Anson rejecting the offer ( as indicated in GET Friday )but I'm sure they will have allowed for this. Some of the players signed last summer were on 1 year contracts which to me is indicative that these players were never intended to be part of any long term plans ( unless of course they really impressed ). Too often under the last three previous managers players were signed on long contracts with the result that when they didn't perform as well as expected it became a costly exercise to get rid. If nothing else The Dynamic Duo have proved to be ruthless when it comes to removing under-achieving players. They are used to working with tight budgets in the non-league scene and know what wages get you what kind of player.

Exactly, the only player they signed on for longer than 2 years?

player of the season!! suggests they know what they are doing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrinking playing squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.