This thread currently has 1,505 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
DocTower
April 25, 2012, 2:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Due to amount of rain and the possibility of a waterlogged pitch , will the game go ahead anyway seeing as there's nothing to play for ?

Was going to get my tickets today but one of my party lives away and doesn't really want to make a friutless 280 mile round trip for nothing .
Logged Offline
Private Message
wigworld
April 25, 2012, 2:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I can't remember a game being called off due to waterlogging in the last few years. The fact that there's nothing to play for wouldn't be a good enough reason to cancel a match.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 11
wigworld
April 25, 2012, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Having said that, it is postponed according to the BBC web site.  
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/conference/fixtures
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 11
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2012, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from wigworld
Having said that, it is postponed according to the BBC web site.  
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/conference/fixtures

Nearly got me there!

Then I remembered I've seen that on the BBC for a few weeks now....I guess us playing twice on the same day doesn't make sense really so we'll just have the Southport game then eh?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 11
marinerian
April 25, 2012, 7:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Rochdale away I have seen a Town game abandoned and postponed and also Chester away.

Also Bradford at Home on New Years Day either 02/03 season, walked it from bloody Bentley Street to arrive and be told it was off   so went to The pub instead  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
TownSNAFU5
April 25, 2012, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
Was it Sunderland (?) at home a few years ago?  Game abandoned after about 8 mins due to continuing heavy rain.  Live on TV and we did not get our TV money.  (All from memory).

Remember game at Sheff Wed many years ago (early 80s) being called off due to waterlogged pitch.  Got to ground as not heard and travelling outside of RH broadcasting area.  Remember thinking that there had not been much rain and surprised that the game was off. (Boo big grounds).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
TWAreaTownSupporter
April 25, 2012, 11:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Was it Sunderland (?) at home a few years ago?  Game abandoned after about 8 mins due to continuing heavy rain.  Live on TV and we did not get our TV money.  (All from memory).

Remember game at Sheff Wed many years ago (early 80s) being called off due to waterlogged pitch.  Got to ground as not heard and travelling outside of RH broadcasting area.  Remember thinking that there had not been much rain and surprised that the game was off. (Boo big grounds).

Yes, but more than a few years ago. Early/mid-90s?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
psgmariner
April 26, 2012, 12:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Yes, but more than a few years ago. Early/mid-90s?

It ws snowing wasn't it? Had a French chap visiting us from near Saint Tropez and he had never seen anything like it! The weather I mean not Grimsby Road.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
FishOutOfWater
April 26, 2012, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

That was more boo Sheffield Wednesday...

From memory it was 1981, George Kerr was our manager at the time and we were on a roll with a chance of going up and would have pasted them but it was called off late on....lots had travelled there but I was lucky in that I had to leave GY late on and by chance heard the game was off before I got out of town. George was not amused as I recall as he thought they'd pulled the plug on it for their own reasons somehow

By the time we did play them it was nearly the end of the season...we did win but it was too late as our chances of promotion had disappeard as we went in to the April

Sounds a bit familiar actually!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 11
NorthLeedsMariner
April 26, 2012, 1:03pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +11
Forecast is 40 days and 40 nights of rain. I am preparing the ark. Anyone fancy joining me?

<*))))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Weather

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.