2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
April 24, 2012, 12:35am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,845
Gold Stars: 26
Many have pointed out the improvement in midfield since Cummins, Leary et al, but that we're still losing battles there. What's missing? A Coldicott type who will sit there, do the ugly work and let the likes of Thanoj play? Or a box to box player like Charley Oatway who will drive the team forward and make a nuisance of himself all over the park - but occasionally leave that gap open. I don't know if anyone will pick the neither option, possibly because they expect Church to come good next year.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
80sglory
April 24, 2012, 1:01am
Guest User
What's missing ?

Keeping the ball and controlling games is easier than having to win any battles.

Disley's done enough over the season to suggest we're ok regards tackling.
It's up to Thanoj to work hard and get a foot in like Artus has done in recent games.

I'd like to see players support the front men more but IMO you need a bit of everything.

Ideally I'd like someone pacy, built like a brick privvy who can tackle and get box to box, but realistically I'm voting that I'm content...
Reply: 1 - 19
cleefish
April 24, 2012, 8:09am
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
In my mind I would like to see a yard dog like Coldicott some body why will not let any pass  because that is imho our main problem the ball come back to quick as we have no player fit enough To stop the flow and get the ball to the frontmen UTMM.+
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Mighty_Mariner
April 24, 2012, 8:20am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from cleefish
In my mind I would like to see a yard dog like Coldicott some body why will not let any pass  because that is imho our main problem the ball come back to quick as we have no player fit enough To stop the flow and get the ball to the frontmen UTMM.+

Someone like panther? I know a few people on here don't rate him but he does the dirty work. As Newcastle have proved this season in the Premier League you need a cohesive TEAM rather than star players!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
BIGChris
April 24, 2012, 8:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
The main problem for me is when teams play 3 central midfielders against our two and we dont adapt quickly enough or counter by getting the ball wide consistently
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
ticker_1610
April 24, 2012, 8:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
That's why Kluckowski impressed he played the yard dog n worked his socks off but also covered box to box. A very impressive display from him any of our midfielders would slot in right alongside, and if we have any serious pretensions it's this type of player we need to be bringing in or resigning ourselves for non league footy until we get the players in to do the job and frustratingly we arnt far off doing that with the majority of the present squad, just that extra yard to go if we've the ambition within the club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
pontoonlew
April 24, 2012, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I think we need two, I think as we improved as a side Disley stayed the same and if anything declined. His finishing was dreadful and he's not the most convincing defensively either. Even his best asset, his passing was poor after December time.

I'd like to see Panther back for starters, how people can slate him is truely beyond me really and shows them up to know very little about analysing a football match. He basically built a wall infront of our back four and did a terrific job, he couldn't do much else granted but Claude Makelele made a bloody world class career out of that!

We also need a central midfielder who can really get forward, like a genuine 10-15 goal player. We haven't had that in years and with Panther in there to do his dirty work, a young strong Pacey midfielder would thrive in this side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
I believe in Cod
April 24, 2012, 1:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +14 / -3
I'd love to see a Scott Kerr type, just sits and supports, he doesnt do anything fancy but hes a brilliant asset at this level.

And I'm a massive fan of Paddy McGlaughlin, scored into double figures this season from midfield.

Alan Power would be great too

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3, if we did, I actually think Frankie may be able to adapt to playing the Scott Kerr role, hes got a brilliant range of passing, and hes very comfortable on the ball, he would quite easily be able to support a more combative midfield infront of him, I could imagine him really bossing games in this role. that way you could play disley to let him do what he does, and then have Church in there for the bigger games against tougher opponents to work hard and close down, (he was excellent at Fleetwood) whereas other games thanoj can come in and be a more advanced midfielder and play it about and create stuff. I could really see us being a threat and controlling games like this. With the pace up front of Soares, KHM and Hearn, we'd be very dangerous. Thoughts?

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
fiveallive
April 24, 2012, 1:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I think where missing a Palu Bolland type, from midfield a bob to box midfielder who can score goals and run all day for the team its quite suprising looking back how we got him for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
fiveallive
April 24, 2012, 1:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I think where missing a Paul Bolland type, from midfield a bob to box midfielder who can score goals and run all day for the team its quite suprising looking back how we got him for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Central midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.