2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
April 24, 2012, 12:35am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,844
Gold Stars: 26
Many have pointed out the improvement in midfield since Cummins, Leary et al, but that we're still losing battles there. What's missing? A Coldicott type who will sit there, do the ugly work and let the likes of Thanoj play? Or a box to box player like Charley Oatway who will drive the team forward and make a nuisance of himself all over the park - but occasionally leave that gap open. I don't know if anyone will pick the neither option, possibly because they expect Church to come good next year.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
80sglory
April 24, 2012, 1:01am
Guest User
What's missing ?

Keeping the ball and controlling games is easier than having to win any battles.

Disley's done enough over the season to suggest we're ok regards tackling.
It's up to Thanoj to work hard and get a foot in like Artus has done in recent games.

I'd like to see players support the front men more but IMO you need a bit of everything.

Ideally I'd like someone pacy, built like a brick privvy who can tackle and get box to box, but realistically I'm voting that I'm content...
Reply: 1 - 19
cleefish
April 24, 2012, 8:09am
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
In my mind I would like to see a yard dog like Coldicott some body why will not let any pass  because that is imho our main problem the ball come back to quick as we have no player fit enough To stop the flow and get the ball to the frontmen UTMM.+
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Mighty_Mariner
April 24, 2012, 8:20am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from cleefish
In my mind I would like to see a yard dog like Coldicott some body why will not let any pass  because that is imho our main problem the ball come back to quick as we have no player fit enough To stop the flow and get the ball to the frontmen UTMM.+

Someone like panther? I know a few people on here don't rate him but he does the dirty work. As Newcastle have proved this season in the Premier League you need a cohesive TEAM rather than star players!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
BIGChris
April 24, 2012, 8:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
The main problem for me is when teams play 3 central midfielders against our two and we dont adapt quickly enough or counter by getting the ball wide consistently
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
ticker_1610
April 24, 2012, 8:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
That's why Kluckowski impressed he played the yard dog n worked his socks off but also covered box to box. A very impressive display from him any of our midfielders would slot in right alongside, and if we have any serious pretensions it's this type of player we need to be bringing in or resigning ourselves for non league footy until we get the players in to do the job and frustratingly we arnt far off doing that with the majority of the present squad, just that extra yard to go if we've the ambition within the club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
pontoonlew
April 24, 2012, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I think we need two, I think as we improved as a side Disley stayed the same and if anything declined. His finishing was dreadful and he's not the most convincing defensively either. Even his best asset, his passing was poor after December time.

I'd like to see Panther back for starters, how people can slate him is truely beyond me really and shows them up to know very little about analysing a football match. He basically built a wall infront of our back four and did a terrific job, he couldn't do much else granted but Claude Makelele made a bloody world class career out of that!

We also need a central midfielder who can really get forward, like a genuine 10-15 goal player. We haven't had that in years and with Panther in there to do his dirty work, a young strong Pacey midfielder would thrive in this side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
I believe in Cod
April 24, 2012, 1:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +14 / -3
I'd love to see a Scott Kerr type, just sits and supports, he doesnt do anything fancy but hes a brilliant asset at this level.

And I'm a massive fan of Paddy McGlaughlin, scored into double figures this season from midfield.

Alan Power would be great too

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3, if we did, I actually think Frankie may be able to adapt to playing the Scott Kerr role, hes got a brilliant range of passing, and hes very comfortable on the ball, he would quite easily be able to support a more combative midfield infront of him, I could imagine him really bossing games in this role. that way you could play disley to let him do what he does, and then have Church in there for the bigger games against tougher opponents to work hard and close down, (he was excellent at Fleetwood) whereas other games thanoj can come in and be a more advanced midfielder and play it about and create stuff. I could really see us being a threat and controlling games like this. With the pace up front of Soares, KHM and Hearn, we'd be very dangerous. Thoughts?

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
fiveallive
April 24, 2012, 1:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I think where missing a Palu Bolland type, from midfield a bob to box midfielder who can score goals and run all day for the team its quite suprising looking back how we got him for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
fiveallive
April 24, 2012, 1:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I think where missing a Paul Bolland type, from midfield a bob to box midfielder who can score goals and run all day for the team its quite suprising looking back how we got him for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
fiveallive
April 24, 2012, 1:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
We could also do with a Manny Panther style in the midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
brad_gtfc
April 24, 2012, 1:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Can't we get Grovesy out of retirement?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
80sglory
April 24, 2012, 4:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from I believe in Cod
I'd love to see a Scott Kerr type, just sits and supports, he doesnt do anything fancy but hes a brilliant asset at this level.

And I'm a massive fan of Paddy McGlaughlin, scored into double figures this season from midfield.

Alan Power would be great too

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3, if we did, I actually think Frankie may be able to adapt to playing the Scott Kerr role, hes got a brilliant range of passing, and hes very comfortable on the ball, he would quite easily be able to support a more combative midfield infront of him, I could imagine him really bossing games in this role. that way you could play disley to let him do what he does, and then have Church in there for the bigger games against tougher opponents to work hard and close down, (he was excellent at Fleetwood) whereas other games thanoj can come in and be a more advanced midfielder and play it about and create stuff. I could really see us being a threat and controlling games like this. With the pace up front of Soares, KHM and Hearn, we'd be very dangerous. Thoughts?

Interesting !

Not sure if I'd want a playmaker to sit or play further forward - not sure.
If it's 4-3-3 would we see Artus spraying many balls out wide ?
I do like Disley and Thanoj in more advanced roles though !

Quoted from BIGChris
The main problem for me is when teams play 3 central midfielders against our two and we dont adapt quickly enough or counter by getting the ball wide consistently

Think this is a very good point and would argue pace in midfield has hurt us this season too.

Personally I'd argue getting the ball out wide has been a consistent problem(or we haven't done it as much as we should) regardless of formation.

It's not unreasonable to think wide players would tuck in when required when up against a 4-3-3 but presumably this needs work on the training pitch ?
i.e. do your wide players stay there as an outlet or come across to help ?

Also think it works both ways - if you can get the ball out wide, the opposition have got to cover you.
Perhaps some extent it depends whether you're focused on the opposition or whether you're more concerned on making them focus on you ?
Swings and roundabouts and ultimately tricky to suggest what's best cos so much comes down to ball control, skill, teamwork etc.

Can we e.g. play passing teams like York at their own game in e.g. a 4-3-3 ?
We might have the players but do S&H favour that style ? Can they deliver ? Possibly (there are some signs of good passing football there)

Still think we (or S&H) need to put thinking caps on and decide which style is best for next season.
On the one hand direct ball has worked better but you might argue Thanoj, Artus and Disley are more suited to a passing game.

Thoughts ?
Reply: 12 - 19
realityman
April 24, 2012, 5:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +9 / -69
Approval: +1
quality mid field playmaker,  burnett type player!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
rancido
April 24, 2012, 5:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1600

Interesting !

Not sure if I'd want a playmaker to sit or play further forward - not sure.
If it's 4-3-3 would we see Artus spraying many balls out wide ?
I do like Disley and Thanoj in more advanced roles though !

Think this is a very good point and would argue pace in midfield has hurt us this season too.

Personally I'd argue getting the ball out wide has been a consistent problem(or we haven't done it as much as we should) regardless of formation.

It's not unreasonable to think wide players would tuck in when required when up against a 4-3-3 but presumably this needs work on the training pitch ?
i.e. do your wide players stay there as an outlet or come across to help ?

Also think it works both ways - if you can get the ball out wide, the opposition have got to cover you.
Perhaps some extent it depends whether you're focused on the opposition or whether you're more concerned on making them focus on you ?
Swings and roundabouts and ultimately tricky to suggest what's best cos so much comes down to ball control, skill, teamwork etc.

Can we e.g. play passing teams like York at their own game in e.g. a 4-3-3 ?
We might have the players but do S&H favour that style ? Can they deliver ? Possibly (there are some signs of good passing football there)

Still think we (or S&H) need to put thinking caps on and decide which style is best for next season.
On the one hand direct ball has worked better but you might argue Thanoj, Artus and Disley are more suited to a passing game.

Thoughts ?

Some good points there but the part I've highlighted deserves some debate. As a team do we need to be adaptable or enforce our formation on the opposition regardless? We could always play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but what happens when this isn't working ? Do we try to make it work during a game or change the formation to counteract the opposition ? AB Mk1 and 2 was always a strict 4-4-2 man but this made us less effective against some teams.When AB Mk3 came along he was more flexible in his team formations. A formation might work based around 1 key player but when that player is not available his replacement might not be so effective. I ,personally, think you have to be more flexible and set up the formation with regards to who you have available AND how the opposition are set up.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
kevikov
April 24, 2012, 9:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +850
Gold Stars: 13
I'm not convinced about thanoj or disley further up the field, not sure either of them have 10 - 15 goals in them or between them.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
80sglory
April 25, 2012, 1:26am
Guest User
Quoted from kevikov
I'm not convinced about thanoj or disley further up the field, not sure either of them have 10 - 15 goals in them or between them.

See what you mean - I was thinking like IBICod i.e. they'll be able to play it around + throughballs etc.

But yeah, where are the goals from midfield coming from ?
Thanoj has shown a hint of capability, not sure about Disley!? Artus ?

How about 4-3-1-2 passing style with KHM or Soares as the attacking midfielder just behind the front men ?
That'll free up the budget with no widemen !  
So might saying b0llocks to signing any full backs and playing a 3-5-2  (brave !  )

Anyway we need to sign a strong tackling midfielder with pace who can get box to box, pass and score goals.  
How hard can it be ?  

Quoted from rancido
Some good points there but the part I've highlighted deserves some debate. As a team do we need to be adaptable or enforce our formation on the opposition regardless? We could always play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but what happens when this isn't working ? Do we try to make it work during a game or change the formation to counteract the opposition ? AB Mk1 and 2 was always a strict 4-4-2 man but this made us less effective against some teams.When AB Mk3 came along he was more flexible in his team formations. A formation might work based around 1 key player but when that player is not available his replacement might not be so effective. I ,personally, think you have to be more flexible and set up the formation with regards to who you have available AND how the opposition are set up.

Good points there too rancido.
Think you're right, you've always you've got to be flexible.
And think tbf S&H have proved they are - at least they seem to know what the dangers and pros and cons are.
Few more plan B's would be great but I've enough confidence they can make the right tactical changes.

Personally don't think you ALWAYS need to set up for the opposition at all and certainly wouldn't like us to set up for the opposition any more than we already are.  
Take Luton away - we played a 4-5-1 ? OK we soaked up pressure and stayed in the game but we lost anyway...  
Depends on your philosophy but do think we're somtimes far too keen to nullify the opposition when we should be expressing ourselves as an attacking force showing less fear. (easier said than done but what's the goal here ?)
Simply cos there's 3 points(and ultimate promotion) at stake and keeping things tight trying to nick one hasn't really seemed to work - least not yet.

So I'd like to see a slightly more positive philosophy.
Sure you won't win them all and you'll get the odd stuffing but we can handle that and you'll probably get more wins & less draws !

At the end of the day, can promotion ultimately be achieved focusing more on defence than attack ?
Yes but I'm not convinced it's the best policy.

I see trying to achieve success as simply as this...
Who's gonna be the daddy next season ? Is it gonna be US or them ?...
Are we gonna prat about worrying, "keeping it tight", protecting things etc or have faith, show no fear and stand up and be counted as the dogs b0llocks because we're Grimsby Town ?...

I say let's think positive, start well, get on a roll and hit the illegitimates hard !  
UTM.
Reply: 16 - 19
shaunieboy
April 25, 2012, 8:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / -3
WE ACTUALLY DREW AT LUTON 1-1 KHM IN LAST 10
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
80sglory
April 25, 2012, 1:22pm
Guest User
Oh yeah.  
Well in a way it proves my point.
Just think what could have happened had we got going a lot sooner, not just at 0-1....
Reply: 18 - 19
kevikov
April 25, 2012, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +850
Gold Stars: 13
I went box to box type, hopefully one who can score. We need more goals from midfield next season.

I'd keep thanoj and artus, youth and utility.

I'd release church and possibly disley, i know i'll get slated for disley but i think we should demand better. On song he's done well but too many times i've been left feeling like we have no energy in midfield, maybe its something else i don't know but i want energy in there and someone to take control. Maybe thats it, even a captain i don't think disley controls the game or the team. And i am definately not slagging him off, just think the key to next season is improvemment, if a position can be improved it should be.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Central midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.