This thread currently has 6,157 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
April 18, 2012, 10:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wSddCRFvAUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Surely the best group ever to come out of Grimsby? This recording of their debut disc, Rich Man, Poor Man, contrasts greatly with their current soul act. It's heavily influenced by psychedelia by the sound of it, and quite why it never reached a wider audience I don't know, but listen to it and make your own mind up. I think it's real quality.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Teesknees
April 18, 2012, 5:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
I couldn't get it to work, says it's unavailable?

It's maybe me though!

I used to know, very slightly, a guy called Carl, who was maybe there bass player? He was a plasterer!

That was maybe 1976?!

Don't know if he's still in the band or dead!
Or maybe he's dead and still in the band!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
cmackenzie4
April 18, 2012, 5:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Agree John i have seen them many times, Can not see the clip at the moment due to being at work, Another good band was Starving Sid, Do not know if they are still about though.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
barralad
April 18, 2012, 8:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from jock dock tower
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wSddCRFvAUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Surely the best group ever to come out of Grimsby? This recording of their debut disc, Rich Man, Poor Man, contrasts greatly with their current soul act. It's heavily influenced by psychedelia by the sound of it, and quite why it never reached a wider audience I don't know, but listen to it and make your own mind up. I think it's real quality.

Just asbout everybody in the music scene locally has played in the Rumble Band at some point. A Quiz League mate of mine Frank Singleton played with them as long ago as the 60's.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
tonyfordsmicrofro
April 18, 2012, 9:37pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
Quoted from Teesknees
I used to know, very slightly, a guy called Carl, who was maybe there bass player? He was a plasterer!

That was maybe 1976?!

Don't know if he's still in the band or dead!
Or maybe he's dead and still in the band!

I think you may be thinking of the Carl that was the bass player in The Brothers Band, another band that did the rounds in the mid 70's. Some members of the Brothers Band later went on to form the Dangerous Brothers. Carl later went on to play in The Piggies, The Moggies and a few others but was never in The Rumble Band. I can assure you that Carl is alive and well Teesknees........ he's my Dad!  

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
nickmariners
April 18, 2012, 9:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
My God -- the Brothers Band.... Hospital Carnival, Peoples' Park.   Them woz the days.

----------------------
Bang a gonk?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Teesknees
April 18, 2012, 10:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro

I think you may be thinking of the Carl that was the bass player in The Brothers Band, another band that did the rounds in the mid 70's. Some members of the Brothers Band later went on to form the Dangerous Brothers. Carl later went on to play in The Piggies, The Moggies and a few others but was never in The Rumble Band. I can assure you that Carl is alive and well Teesknees........ he's my Dad!  

The brothers Band! Yes that's right.. my memories shocking! It's all coming back now,.....well not all of it! He worked for Pigson and Baumber.. maybe? And they were working in Keelby at the time!

I remember him because my brother did the rounds in a few bands at the same time and was in a band with Rod Templeton before he made it big! Can't remember the bands name though!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
aldi_01
April 19, 2012, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Seen the rumble band a couple of times. A good group of musicians although I wonder if their time is running out. They're expensive and have quite high demands by all accounts if you want to book them...

Still, have to praise them for their longevity and consistency...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
tonyfordsmicrofro
April 19, 2012, 8:52pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
I could be wrong but I think that this may be the track that JDT is talking about.

[youtube]wSddCRFvAUw[/youtube]

I'm 33 so I never saw the Rumble Band in the 70's but I remember seeing them as a kid at Hewitts Circus before Tesco was even thought of, a field at the time and I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Being a musician now, albeit with a "proper job", I look back on that gig and I'm proud of Grimsby bands like The Rumble Band for being an inspiration and making me think "I want to do that". One of my first gigs as a 14 year old was supporting The Rumble Band at the Gardens, we were crap but looking back now, I think it was great that a well respected Grimsby band were giving new blood a go........... So, maximum respect to them on my part.

*edit* Oh and for Chris' info. I'm not sure if Starvin' Sid are still doing the rounds but I saw a great band at the Spiders called 'The House Shakers' a few months ago that are doing some good Bluesy stuff. I think they may do an acoustic night from time to time in Mucky Muldoons in Meggies. Well worth keeping your eyes peeled for.

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
winghams
April 29, 2012, 3:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 1
The Rumble bass player on that was Steve Currie - around 1970/71 - he went on to join T Rex - plenty of clips on YouTube - he live down Fairfield Road - worked at the Customs House before they went pro.  Killed in a car crash in Portugal. Great guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Rumble Band

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.