Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 18, 2012, 10:35am
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wSddCRFvAUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Surely the best group ever to come out of Grimsby? This recording of their debut disc, Rich Man, Poor Man, contrasts greatly with their current soul act. It's heavily influenced by psychedelia by the sound of it, and quite why it never reached a wider audience I don't know, but listen to it and make your own mind up. I think it's real quality.
Posted by: Teesknees, April 18, 2012, 5:25pm; Reply: 1
I couldn't get it to work, says it's unavailable?

It's maybe me though!

I used to know, very slightly, a guy called Carl, who was maybe there bass player? He was a plasterer!

That was maybe 1976?!

Don't know if he's still in the band or dead!
Or maybe he's dead and still in the band!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 18, 2012, 5:35pm; Reply: 2
Agree John i have seen them many times, Can not see the clip at the moment due to being at work, Another good band was Starving Sid, Do not know if they are still about though.
Posted by: barralad, April 18, 2012, 8:50pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jock dock tower
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wSddCRFvAUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Surely the best group ever to come out of Grimsby? This recording of their debut disc, Rich Man, Poor Man, contrasts greatly with their current soul act. It's heavily influenced by psychedelia by the sound of it, and quite why it never reached a wider audience I don't know, but listen to it and make your own mind up. I think it's real quality.

Just asbout everybody in the music scene locally has played in the Rumble Band at some point. A Quiz League mate of mine Frank Singleton played with them as long ago as the 60's.
Posted by: tonyfordsmicrofro, April 18, 2012, 9:37pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Teesknees
I used to know, very slightly, a guy called Carl, who was maybe there bass player? He was a plasterer!

That was maybe 1976?!

Don't know if he's still in the band or dead!
Or maybe he's dead and still in the band!

I think you may be thinking of the Carl that was the bass player in The Brothers Band, another band that did the rounds in the mid 70's. Some members of the Brothers Band later went on to form the Dangerous Brothers. Carl later went on to play in The Piggies, The Moggies and a few others but was never in The Rumble Band. I can assure you that Carl is alive and well Teesknees........ he's my Dad!  :)

Posted by: nickmariners, April 18, 2012, 9:49pm; Reply: 5
My God -- the Brothers Band.... Hospital Carnival, Peoples' Park.   Them woz the days.

----------------------
Bang a gonk?
Posted by: Teesknees, April 18, 2012, 10:36pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro

I think you may be thinking of the Carl that was the bass player in The Brothers Band, another band that did the rounds in the mid 70's. Some members of the Brothers Band later went on to form the Dangerous Brothers. Carl later went on to play in The Piggies, The Moggies and a few others but was never in The Rumble Band. I can assure you that Carl is alive and well Teesknees........ he's my Dad!  :)

The brothers Band! Yes that's right.. my memories shocking! It's all coming back now,.....well not all of it! He worked for Pigson and Baumber.. maybe? And they were working in Keelby at the time!

I remember him because my brother did the rounds in a few bands at the same time and was in a band with Rod Templeton before he made it big! Can't remember the bands name though!

Posted by: aldi_01, April 19, 2012, 6:07pm; Reply: 7
Seen the rumble band a couple of times. A good group of musicians although I wonder if their time is running out. They're expensive and have quite high demands by all accounts if you want to book them...

Still, have to praise them for their longevity and consistency...
Posted by: tonyfordsmicrofro, April 19, 2012, 8:52pm; Reply: 8
I could be wrong but I think that this may be the track that JDT is talking about.

[youtube]wSddCRFvAUw[/youtube]

I'm 33 so I never saw the Rumble Band in the 70's but I remember seeing them as a kid at Hewitts Circus before Tesco was even thought of, a field at the time and I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Being a musician now, albeit with a "proper job", I look back on that gig and I'm proud of Grimsby bands like The Rumble Band for being an inspiration and making me think "I want to do that". One of my first gigs as a 14 year old was supporting The Rumble Band at the Gardens, we were crap but looking back now, I think it was great that a well respected Grimsby band were giving new blood a go........... So, maximum respect to them on my part.

*edit* Oh and for Chris' info. I'm not sure if Starvin' Sid are still doing the rounds but I saw a great band at the Spiders called 'The House Shakers' a few months ago that are doing some good Bluesy stuff. I think they may do an acoustic night from time to time in Mucky Muldoons in Meggies. Well worth keeping your eyes peeled for.
Posted by: winghams, April 29, 2012, 3:21pm; Reply: 9
The Rumble bass player on that was Steve Currie - around 1970/71 - he went on to join T Rex - plenty of clips on YouTube - he live down Fairfield Road - worked at the Customs House before they went pro.  Killed in a car crash in Portugal. Great guy.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 2, 2012, 11:38pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro
I could be wrong but I think that this may be the track that JDT is talking about.

[youtube]wSddCRFvAUw[/youtube]

Echo's of the Beatles Paperback Writer in that to my ear.

Had some great nights at the Gardens early 90's watching the Rumble Band,  one occassion "supported" by the Dangerous Brothers and another by a similar soul/blues band from York who were fantastic, cannot remember for my life their name but have a feeling they had "brothers" in the name.
Posted by: tonyfordsmicrofro, May 3, 2012, 7:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moosey_club

Had some great nights at the Gardens early 90's watching the Rumble Band,  one occassion "supported" by the Dangerous Brothers and another by a similar soul/blues band from York who were fantastic, cannot remember for my life their name but have a feeling they had "brothers" in the name.

If it's the same band from York I think we played on the same bill as them at some point and shared a dressing room with them. They turned up late and one of the guys from the band said "flipping hell, I hate playing in Grimsby, it stinks of flipping fish, smelly illegitimates" to which our guitarist replied "where are you from, York? Could be worse, we could smell of excrement" which I thought was quite a good come back for a 14 year old kid. He pilfered most of their beer as well. GOOD LAD!!  ;D

Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 8:52am