Abdul19
April 12, 2012, 7:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,586
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 1054

I loathe Murdoch with a passion. . . I cant really see al jazeera buying it, espn barely have a presence in the uk. . . maybe someone woylf snap it up but i cant imagine any being able to match the sums sky have put in!

I would love to see a big club go to the wall. . . Liverpool would be funny as fu(k. . . dont they owe millions to their chairman?

Very true, but the Premier League would give them that. What was Sky before 1992?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 84
roundballovalhole
April 12, 2012, 7:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19

Very true, but the Premier League would give them that. What was Sky before 1992?

It was part of the biggest media empire that britain and the world had ever seen. . . as it continues to be!
Reply: 51 - 84
Abdul19
April 12, 2012, 7:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from 1054

It was part of the biggest media empire that britain and the world have ever seen. . . as it continues to be!

Part of, but it was shit and no-one bought it!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 84
roundballovalhole
April 12, 2012, 7:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19

Part of, but it was shit and no-one bought it!

Murdochwas pretty much at the height of his powers, swaying the british electorate, choosing governmentd. . . he has always been a ruthless man. . . The sun, news of the world, the times, sunday times, ausyrslian and american media interests, the money to put space hardware into orbit. . . with that kind if money, sky could hardly fail could it?
Reply: 53 - 84
Abdul19
April 12, 2012, 7:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from 1054

Murdochwas pretty much at the height of his powers, swaying the british electorate, choosing governmentd. . . he has always been a ruthless man. . . The sun, news of the world, the times, sunday times, ausyrslian and american media interests, the money to put space hardware into orbit. . . with that kind if money, sky could hardly fail could it?

Good question, but I can't see people paying £50+ per month for a tv package without football on. I wouldn't anyway!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 84
roundballovalhole
April 12, 2012, 7:53pm
Guest User
I reckon pre sky the whole idea of paying money to watch footie on telly was almost unthinkable. .. . 20 years on test cricket, f1, rugby league, tennis, golf, boxing isnt seen in most households in the uk. . .   he's a bad man that murdoch. . .  
Reply: 55 - 84
Les Brechin
April 12, 2012, 7:57pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
I remember when Sky Sports first started. It was originally on BSB (British Sky Broadcasting) with the squarial, before they merged with Sky (as it is today) and it was originally a free channel. I remember having a massive argument with a mate who insisted that you would never have to pay to watch football on TV.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 84
Abdul19
April 12, 2012, 7:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
There's probably not much less football on terrestrial tv now than there was 20 years ago.

Tennis; I'd hazard a guess that Wimbledon was the only stuff ever on and that's still there.

Definitely agree with you on cricket and boxing. Couldn't give a shit about the other stuff!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 84
roundballovalhole
April 12, 2012, 8:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin
I remember when Sky Sports first started. It was originally on BSB (British Sky Broadcasting) with the squarial, before they merged with Sky (as it is today) and it was originally a free channel. I remember having a massive argument with a mate who insisted that you would never have to pay to watch football on TV.

I think bsb (british satelite broadtcasting) were the rivals and were bought out by sky. . . sky had round dishes. . . bsb had the squariel
Reply: 58 - 84
roundballovalhole
April 12, 2012, 8:13pm
Guest User
You could watch first dividion football live every sunday. . . am sure there is more football on terrestrial than ever now but back then it seemed to still be, to a certsin extent, the people's game!
Reply: 59 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wigan 1   Man Utd   0

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.