2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
April 9, 2012, 5:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Really pleased we won today - really didn't want the season to fizzle out.

Unbelievable really but even after all the points lost in recent weeks, we are still mathematically in with a shout of the play offs.  My view is that during our great run the players gave their all to get us into contention and played without fear.  The lack of experience in the squad, lost momentum from injuries, FA Trophy, injuries, suspensions all took their toll, but most of all it seems they seems to play with a little bit of fear and nerves in their belly.

However, if we can play a full season next year at anything near the best this squad can offer, we are nailed on certainties for the play offs and in with a chance of automatic promotion.  We have lot so many points this season which we should have won and just 5-6 of those would have us in the play offs.

It was a season which promised much but in the end we fell short.  However, its the  first time for too many years where I feel even vaguely proud of the team and, for once, thinking about which players we can keep next year, not which ones can we get rid of or bring in.

Onwards and upwards....
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
April 9, 2012, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,990
Gold Stars: 365
Let's see what happens in the last 3 games. I think the claim about being 'nailed on' for the play offs or even promotion is a bit wild and definitely premature. There are a lot of changes that can take place between now and next August. For me, we still need a handful of better players if we want to challenge the teams who can play, and Rob Scott? Well, he's had enough petulant outbursts in one season to make me feel that he will have a big influence on our fortunes overall. Until Scott learns a few lessons and learns to channel his 'passion' positively, and until we construct a proper competitive midfield and introduce some genuine pace into the team, it's too soon to speak about what our prospects might be.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
80sglory
April 9, 2012, 5:31pm
Guest User
You don't want to sign quality players ?!  
Some top quality signings we'll be up there !
Reply: 2 - 18
LondonMariner43
April 9, 2012, 5:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from 1600
You don't want to sign quality players ?!  
Some top quality signings we'll be up there !

I'll never argue with improving the squad but I kind of feel that within the current squad (including loanees importantly) we have the makings of a promotion side.   The last thing we need is another summer of wholesale change as then it takes ten games or more to build a team and an ethos.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
80sglory
April 9, 2012, 5:37pm
Guest User
Not wholesale no 3-4 should do it.  
Reply: 4 - 18
chaos33
April 9, 2012, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,990
Gold Stars: 365
Can I just challenge you to name the players you think form the 'makings of a promotion side'? Genuine question - not trying to be contrary.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
80sglory
April 9, 2012, 5:40pm
Guest User
Look at the potential mate - Thanoj, Artus, KHM there's a half decent side when you add to Hearn and the experienced players.  

I wouldn't hold back.
Keep Hearn and add to the squad.
Other teams benefit from larger squads, think we should go for it.
Reply: 6 - 18
April 9, 2012, 5:41pm
Guest User
The run in of games till the end of the season:
                                                                         Grimsby         Luton          Southport          Kidderminster                     York
                                                                      Wrexham         Alfreton            Tamworth             Kettering                     Newport
                                                                      Telford             Ebbsfleet          Ebbsfleet              Luton                          Cambridge
                                                                      Southport        Kidderminster    Grimsby               Mansfield                     Braintree
                                                                                            Gateshead                                                                       Forest Green
                                                                                            Fleetwood
Reply: 7 - 18
Fishfinger
April 9, 2012, 5:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
I just cannot believe Kidderminster managed to score 3 goals to win the game with 4 minutes left. They always score late goals, always!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
we will return
April 9, 2012, 5:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from Fishfinger
I just cannot believe Kidderminster managed to score 3 goals to win the game with 4 minutes left. They always score late goals, always!!

They've gained 7 points in injury time in the last 3 games, 2 v us, 2 v Southport and 3 v Newport, unbelievable.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So near and yet so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.