LondonMariner43
April 9, 2012, 5:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from chaos33
Can I just challenge you to name the players you think form the 'makings of a promotion side'? Genuine question - not trying to be contrary.

Easier to say where we are lacking.

We only have one left back and he is on loanee.  We really need to sign Townsend permanently plus a back up.  Would love that to be Green.  The rest of the back five, particularly with their first season together under their belt are at the right standard but the managers need to work out their best 5.  For the first time since Danny Coyne we have a keeper who has potential to be here for several seasons.  But we need a good reserve keeper to replace Arthur.  We have Miller, Pearson, Garner and I'Anson in central defence and I am happy with all four.  

Midfield.  We have Winn (again if we keep him), Soares, Coulson and Artus who all play wide so again 4 challenging for two places.  I think we have really missed Artus when he was injured and I love the passion Winn has to play for Town.  In central midfield, Thanoj is one for the future, plus Disley, Church and Wright.  As many others have posted, none of these is a Joe Waters, Paul Groves or Shaun Cunnington.  I'd trade any of those three for a game-changing midfielder to play alongside and nurture Thanoj.  

Upfront.  We have Hearn, KHM, Duffy and Elding.  Its hard to criticise any of these.  Hearn and Elding are first choice and have about 45 goals between them despite a slow start and poor finish.  KHM is young and upcoming.  Duffy has shown value coming on as a sub.  Yes another 30 goal striker would be great but I feel that's nitpicking and unlikely.  We forget how many barren seasons we went before Connell without a decent striker.

So overall, I think we need a back up keeper, a back up left back, a quality central midfielder and I'll be very happy, if we keep everyone we have today.

A settled squad that comes out of the blocks in August is worth more than too many new faces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
chaos33
April 9, 2012, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 365
Quoted from 1600
Look at the potential mate - Thanoj, Artus, KHM there's a half decent side when you add to Hearn and the experienced players.  

I wouldn't hold back.
Keep Hearn and add to the squad.
Other teams benefit from larger squads, think we should go for it.

Sorry mate, but 3 players isn't the 'makings of a team'. It's not a half decent side. It's 3 or 4 players.
We need an advance in quality or consistency from the players we've got, or replacements for me.
Hearn is great, but may not be here. Is Elding top-quality? Duffy? It's too soon to judge KHM. Soares looks nothing special.
Disley is steady, Artus is a good player but Thanoj was awful at Darlington - he might be good enough, he might not be. Church isn't good enough, Wright isn't ours. Bradley Wood is really average. Coulson is very up and down. None of our midfielders score anough goals, and we're not strong or mobile enough in the middle. How many goals have Disley, Thanoj and Church scored between them this season? It isn't enough and it won't match top six rivals.
Our centre backs are ok and so is our keeper. We need a quicker right back, and a left back to replace Thownsend. At least 2 centre midfileders. 1 or maybe 2 strikers and perhaps a quick, athletic wide player. We have to aim at the York and Kidderminster models for me.

IMO we've got a handful of pretty good players, and one very good one. We need a better standard across 15 or so players. Several could improve - that's our hope, but let's not pretend that we're somehow destined for the play-offs next season at this stage.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
80sglory
April 9, 2012, 6:04pm
Guest User
Defence is solid enough.
Add a good striker or two to Partner Hearn you're looking at 2x25 goals each, that's playoffs.

KHM go to be better than Duffy and Elding long term + decent left back, midfielder etc
Cant judge them how they'll be in 2 months time now, they'll be better and sharper.

Isn't enough my @rse !
Opponents (including Southport) aren't that good, I think playoffs are realistic if we want it enough.
No Crawleys or Cheatwoods either, probably the best chance we'll get.
Reply: 12 - 18
80sglory
April 9, 2012, 6:06pm
Guest User
GK we're ok too.
Few more players in key positions we could be laughing.
Reply: 13 - 18
chaos33
April 9, 2012, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Taking into account how other present BSP teams will develop and rebuild? What about the league clubs who come down? See what I'm getting at?
It's too soon to be supposing that we'll be a play off team next seson because we have Hearn at the moment and a clutch of other players who are good but inconsistent.
Nothing wrong with being hopeful - I feel we could kick-on too but let's not underestimate the changes that are needed - in quality and possibly in personnel, and all of this with a reduced budget, and, Rob Scott, losing his rag every two minutes.

Time will tell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
80sglory
April 9, 2012, 6:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
What about the league clubs who come down?

Macclesfield no.
Hereford, maybe but not concerned.

Quoted from chaos33
See what I'm getting at?

Yeah but you're worrying over nothing - like us(when we came down), they'll struggle.

Quoted from chaos33
It's too soon to be supposing that we'll be a play off team next seson because we have Hearn at the moment and a clutch of other players who are good but inconsistent.

Too late!

Quoted from chaos33
Nothing wrong with being hopeful - I feel we could kick-on too but let's not underestimate the changes that are needed - in quality and possibly in personnel, and all of this with a reduced budget, and, Rob Scott, losing his rag every two minutes.

No-ones underestimating the task but you know what they say, don't sweat the small stuff...  
Reply: 15 - 18
chaos33
April 9, 2012, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Alright mate. Whatever you say.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Marinerz93
April 9, 2012, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
H&S still haven't fixed the problem we have had for seasons now, the midfield.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
AndyGTFC
April 9, 2012, 7:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
I don't think we need too many players to challenge next year. A back up goalkeeper, a left back when Townsend goes back which could be Jamie Green, a centre midfielder to partner Disley, a proper target man up front and possibly a right winger for me.

Would like us to sign Winn permanently also on what I've seen so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So near and yet so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.