Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What's the problem?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 73 Guests

What's the problem?

This thread currently has 2,138 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
PB
March 28, 2012, 10:27am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
This is the first time I've posted ... but here goes.
I'm not a negative moaner but a realist. I've just  been to two draws in four days, and although there are loads of niggley problems what concerns me is pace and control, or our lack of either. We were second to most 50/50 balls, always take one too many touches, and therefore get out-paced in all departments.
I'm no coach but these are fundamental, so how come the one guy (Hughes-Mason) who shows passion, skill and speed is never given a real chance? UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
March 28, 2012, 10:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Thanks for posting Kiernan
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
ticker_1610
March 28, 2012, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
We looked jaded in both matches, but Townsend seemed a bit brighter last night. Coulson looks and plays like he's already moved on! Huge gap between midfield and front two which meant CM could track back n defend but they had too much ground to cover getting forward again. This was apparent when we got the chance to get the ball coward quickly and catch them pushing forward it didn't happen unless the ball was hit over the top for Hearn to chase n hold up! Just not firing on all cylinders!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
kingster72
March 28, 2012, 11:11am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
The big problem I feel is Disley, don't really see what he does? He looks lazy at times and if his ankle has been playing up, he should have been dropped! Thanoj offers so much more and Panther just made things simple.  Did we need to bring in Wright? KHM should have been given a chance in the last few games with Hearn missing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
ticker_1610
March 28, 2012, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Wright looks good at this level, however Disley IMO didn't complement wrights performance at all, he was ponderous and closed down very easily, meaning we couldn't distribute the ball quickly or accurately enough!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Rodley Mariner
March 28, 2012, 11:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Disley has been head and shoulders our best Centre Mid this season. Think the experience of this season will stand Thanoj in good stead for next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
ticker_1610
March 28, 2012, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Disley has been good, but has lost a bit of spark, and has always been weak when shielding or holding onto the ball, yet his positive attributes negated his faults, however the last 5 games they havnt. All players hit a bad patch/blip, hopefully like Townsend, Dizzy will find his mojo n we will start to look like a team with purpose again! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Rodley Mariner
March 28, 2012, 11:36am
Special Brew Drinker
To be fair to Disley he's played a lot of games without a break (think he missed one FA Trophy game?). He's also had to play with a constantly changing CM partner which isn't going to help him, especially when he's had very young, inexperienced partners such as Thanoj and Church.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Paris Mariner
March 28, 2012, 11:37am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I personally think the amazing run we went on has raised everyone's expectations and now we almost expect too much.

Compared to last season we've made a huge improvement. We just lack a bit of quality to be right at the top but we are a good team. You don't go to Luton and come away with a draw by being completely rubbish.

The play-off race isn't over until it's mathematically impossible - there's still Kiddy and Southport to play. All the teams above us are unlikely to win every game until the end of the season.

Unfortunately, I think we'll just miss out but if you look at the other teams who have come down it maybe takes 3 or 4 seasons to adapt and become a real title contender.

Keep the faith.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 28
Rick12
March 28, 2012, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ticker_1610
Disley has been good, but has lost a bit of spark, and has always been weak when shielding or holding onto the ball,

agree I think Disley is a decent lower league player and a good addition to the squad.Technically able but his weakness like you say is he isn't strong enough and against a physical team may get bullied

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
GtfcGarner
March 28, 2012, 11:49am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,796
Gold Stars: 26
Thanoj been better than Dis in my own opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
Maringer
March 28, 2012, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
I think a lot of people rate Thanoj too highly.

He's only very young for a midfielder and has the potential to develop into a good player, but he's smaller and less mobile than Disley and much weaker in the air. Physically, I think Disley is able to hold his own most of the time. Thanoj can't quite compete physically yet with some of the more powerful midfielders we face. I think he's a player who would benefit from an 'enforcer' type playing alongside him. Something we don't have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
cleefish
March 28, 2012, 12:50pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
Myself I don't think fans are thinking Thanoj is to good as Allan Buckley as said on the radio he thinks he as the skill of a top player with a few more years of good coaching.utmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
louth_in_the_south
March 28, 2012, 1:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,722
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Thanoj been better than Dis in my own opinion.

I think disleys football league career answers that quote for the time being . Thanoj has potential but has a long way to go yet .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
newdoctower
March 28, 2012, 1:20pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
I think every answer to the above question has been answered . Expecting too much after a wonderful run . Players who have achieved above their level . Although we did just clicked together for 3 months , with everyone doing the right thing and of course LUCK .

I think we can all look forward to next season , with one or two additions . Townsend will return to Hull , plus one or two others will go . Now our leaders know what this division is like they will prepare a team to suite .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Les Brechin
March 28, 2012, 1:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Couldn't there be a chance that we get Townsend back again next season on a season-long loan. He won't be ready for Championship (or Premiership) football next season so surely him playing regularly here would benefit him more than playing in the reserves at Hull next season. (If they have a reserve team that is) and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance if offered.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Biccys
March 28, 2012, 1:31pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
I think the mid-season unbeaten run coincided with us meeting a LOT of the lower half teams. This indicates that we're a high end mid table side, not quite playoff material yet but not a million miles away.

Clearly we'll need a new LB unless we perhaps convince Connor to do another season long loan. Better to be playing here than warming the bench at 'Ull?

If Hearn goes (personally I think a deal may already be in the offing. No reason, just a gut feeling) I see KHM as being the focus next year and may explain why he's only being used sparingly this. Keep hime injury free, hungry and raring to go next year.

I think Thanoj will also be pivotal next year. If we can get Church up to it he and Thanoj could be the core of the side for years and years. Unfortunately I doubt he will be given time to improve enough and will be released and a different defensive midfielder brought in.

Not sure about Disley. He has a calm head and can clearly play a bit but he drifts a lot for me and doesn't get nearly enough goals for a playmaker. Maybe one to let go as well.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 28
forza ivano
March 28, 2012, 1:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,302
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Maringer
I think a lot of people rate Thanoj too highly.

He's only very young for a midfielder and has the potential to develop into a good player, but he's smaller and less mobile than Disley and much weaker in the air. Physically, I think Disley is able to hold his own most of the time. Thanoj can't quite compete physically yet with some of the more powerful midfielders we face. I think he's a player who would benefit from an 'enforcer' type playing alongside him. Something we don't have.

you're right about disley's heading - won lots of aerial battles last night, as he has done all season.imho the present partnership looks ideal ;they just need a bit of pace and trickery out wide to complement their hard work and usually safe passing. i'm already hoping that wright's signing isthe prelude to a permanent move in the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Rodley Mariner
March 28, 2012, 1:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from newdoctower
I think every answer to the above question has been answered . Expecting too much after a wonderful run . Players who have achieved above their level . Although we did just clicked together for 3 months , with everyone doing the right thing and of course LUCK .

Agree with all that. To read some posts last night and this morning you'd think we're now on a terrible run at the moment. We've only lost 2 games in more than 20 and they were both to injury time goals. Been a few uninspiring draws recently but points away at Tamworth and Luton aren't bad results - just not enough in the context of this season after we started so poorly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
roundballovalhole
March 28, 2012, 1:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from Biccys
I think the mid-season unbeaten run coincided with us meeting a LOT of the lower half teams. This indicates that we're a high end mid table side, not quite playoff material yet but not a million miles away.

As opposed to Tamworth and Braintree??? We were beating the likes of Southport and Cambridge away. . . Doesn't really add up for me that. . .  The slump clearly occurred when Fenty got behind the controls again just as our upturn coincided with him having his attention taken up with other stuff and the power 'lying outside the boardroom'!!!
Reply: 19 - 28
FishOutOfWater
March 28, 2012, 1:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 1054

As opposed to Tamworth and Braintree??? We were beating the likes of Southport and Cambridge away. . . Doesn't really add up for me that. . .  The slump clearly occurred when Fenty got behind the controls again just as our upturn coincided with him having his attention taken up with other stuff and the power 'lying outside the boardroom'!!!

Here it comes again....that's an old record too!

As much as I'm not in the Fenty camp, I don't think he was the reason the season stuttered again

The York game being called off, the injuries at Southport, the Elding ban etc; these had more of a disruptive effect imho

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 28
80sglory
March 28, 2012, 3:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Disley has been head and shoulders our best Centre Mid this season. Think the experience of this season will stand Thanoj in good stead for next year.

Agreed.
No idea about last night but think his workrate and contribution is vastly under-rated.

But is he the right type of player and is Maringer's last point a valid one ?
Reply: 21 - 28
80sglory
March 28, 2012, 3:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
The York game being called off, the injuries at Southport, the Elding ban etc; these had more of a disruptive effect imho

Missing Liam Hearn can't have helped either.
I think tiredness and a congested fixture list has played it's part too.
Reply: 22 - 28
pontoonlew
March 28, 2012, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from 1054

flipping hell can you just pop round to Fenty's and pull the trigger? That way you'll be banged up so won't be able to come on here and talk out your anus and the gypsy stabbing pins into a voodoo doll of Fenty can have a break.

Have a day off ffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Biccys
March 28, 2012, 3:32pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew

flipping hell can you just pop round to Fenty's and pull the trigger? That way you'll be banged up so won't be able to come on here and talk out your anus and the gypsy stabbing pins into a voodoo doll of Fenty can have a break.

Have a day off ffs.

Although I agree with your sentiments, I think RBOH has caught one here.....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 28
aaron rattray
March 28, 2012, 4:18pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
we need to pass and move and anticipate play

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
roundballovalhole
March 28, 2012, 4:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew

Have a day off ffs.

That is a complete misrepresentation  of my ongoing vendetta against Fenty. . . I haven't posted anything about John Fenty in the last 2 weeks as I have been concentrating on tackling the bigotry expressed on here with regard to the ethnic diversity of the Luton area!  Absolutely disgraceful Pontoonlew!
Reply: 26 - 28
pontoonlew
March 28, 2012, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Your either a really bad wind up or medically insane. Or both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
Rodley Mariner
March 28, 2012, 7:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
He seems to have you pretty wound up so maybe he's better than you're giving him credit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What's the problem?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.