subbuteo

This thread currently has 2,866 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner_mikey
March 26, 2012, 8:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
do any of you lads still play subbuteo by any chance ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
MyDogsThoughts
March 26, 2012, 8:49pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
No, my paws have always been a problem when trying to play Subbuteo.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
Bullitt
March 27, 2012, 2:09am
Guest User
I've got some of an old Subbuteo in a tatty box under my bed, it has Leeds v Sampdoria on the box, probably early 90's
Reply: 2 - 26
MyDogsThoughts
March 27, 2012, 11:59am

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Quoted from 2075
I've got some of an old Subbuteo in a tatty box under my bed, it has Leeds v Sampdoria on the box, probably early 90's

Do you reconise the Sampdoria player?

He played for us too!

[img]http://subbuteo-emporium.co.uk/images/uploads/assortedpictures010508%20049.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Tommy
March 27, 2012, 4:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Ivano, Ivano, Ivano

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Tommy
March 27, 2012, 4:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Is Subbuteo stuff still sold these days?

I sold all mine at a car boot years ago but wish i'd kept it. Would've only been in my loft but still wish i'd kept hold of it all.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
mariner_mikey
March 27, 2012, 4:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
yep its just been relised again a week or 2 ago
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
mariner_mikey
March 27, 2012, 4:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
I also noticed that in Sheffield they have a subbuteo league where they meet every Sunday I think it is they got a tournament coming up as well at bramall lane in September I actually thought it would be a good idea to set something like that up in the Grimsby area but I doubt I would get enough interest people    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
aldi_01
March 27, 2012, 5:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Kev Rodgers, the guy who does the pa thing at blundell park was an excellent subbuteo player and got very far in a national tournament once upon a time...there are more people still playing it than you think. The rules are hard though...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
FishOutOfWater
March 28, 2012, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner_mikey
I also noticed that in Sheffield they have a subbuteo league where they meet every Sunday I think it is they got a tournament coming up as well at bramall lane in September I actually thought it would be a good idea to set something like that up in the Grimsby area but I doubt I would get enough interest people    

Going back pre-WWII there was a forerunner to Subbuteo called Newfooty.

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/newfooty.htm

Subbuteo was to all intents based on the initial idea / game but the guy who brought it to the market didn't make the most of his invention whereas the Subbuteo "inventer" took his chances and made himself a rich man

Anyway my grandad had a Newfooty league going in Grimsby in the 1930's which attracted a lot of interest back in the day...I guess in the pre-war depression years it was a cheap and cheerful pastime

My dad had some photos of their get togethers where they awarded out trophies etc...not sure where they are but I might try to dig them out
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › subbuteo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.