Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 169 Guests

Are we good enough.

This thread currently has 2,866 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
roundballovalhole
March 23, 2012, 7:24am
Guest User
Quoted from Marinerz93
Our position and form against the top teams states we are still a work in progress and not strong enough.  Next season though I expect a few new faces brought in to strengthen the squad and for us to be competing in the top 5 once we get going.  I also believe we will dominate teams next season and we will have a very good chance of going up.

Strengthen the squad with the funds available from liam's sale?
Reply: 20 - 35
Squarkus
March 23, 2012, 8:26am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Quoted from 1054

[color=red][/color]WHAT A HELMET
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
arryarryarry
March 23, 2012, 9:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Marinerz93
Our position and form against the top teams states we are still a work in progress and not strong enough.  Next season though I expect a few new faces brought in to strengthen the squad and for us to be competing in the top 5 once we get going.  I also believe we will dominate teams next season and we will have a very good chance of going up.

That was the plan for both last season and this.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Marinerz93
March 23, 2012, 9:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry

That was the plan for both last season and this.

This is the managers first season at this level and after a slow start they have consistantly improved the squad.  We have players on the up instead of previous seasons players on the way down or out of the game.  You could say that this was the plan for the previous 8 seasons but with a Chairman who in the past appointed managers who were either given a poor budget or appointed managers who weren't up to managing we found how itchy JF's trigger finger was.  H&S will bring stability and I believe promtion within the next couple of seasons.

To answer 80's, what ever will be will be, I'd love Liam to be one of those players who takes us up through the leagues.  I believe we are one of the biggest clubs out side the Championship.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
Mighty_Mariner
March 23, 2012, 9:43am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from 1054

If needs be then yes, We are NOT a one man team. There were too many on here who thought it was the end of the world when AC left. If Liam is sold to progress his own career and for the benefit of the long term goals of the club then so be it. I fully trust S and H to bring in an adequate replacement should it happen, and I expect them to have been planning for his departure since January. Let's be honest who had heard of Liam before this season?

We are GTFC, Liam Hearn or no Liam Hearn!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
ticker_1610
March 23, 2012, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
When I look at the clubs in Div1 and a few below, I think Div 1 is full of clubs similar to town in size and support and several that are far bigger supported and have just as long a history and probably more recent history of playing at championship level. Plymouth, Luton, Swindon are teams that div one will be their natural level but with luck n financial backing could spend a bit of time up n down from the Championship. The Championship now costs a fortune to compete in and has nearly bankrupt Scunny trying to compete at that level. I would hope we get back into the top half of Div 1 itself becoming a very expensive league to compete in, and then challenge for a return to the Championship.

Those clubs that have clawed their way up from the conference will without financial backing soon return to the lower echelons of div2 and the conference. Teams like Dagenham n R, Burton, Stevenage! Which will make the Conference even harder n full of ex league teams pushing out the part time clubs and ones with no support or viable income.
Harsh but realistic. IMO !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
cleefish
March 23, 2012, 10:18am
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
IMHO if we improve our midfield and bring in another young keeper to cover then yes we would be able to hold our own in league2 oh I forgot Townsend if we are unable to sign him full time then we need another just as good because we have none to replace him.
SO LET US HOPE  FOR A SUCCSESSFUL END TO THE SEASON IN S& H WE TRUST.UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
mariner91
March 23, 2012, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Marinerz93

This is the managers first season at this level and after a slow start they have consistantly improved the squad.  We have players on the up instead of previous seasons players on the way down or out of the game.  You could say that this was the plan for the previous 8 seasons but with a Chairman who in the past appointed managers who were either given a poor budget or appointed managers who weren't up to managing we found how itchy JF's trigger finger was.  H&S will bring stability and I believe promtion within the next couple of seasons.

To answer 80's, what ever will be will be, I'd love Liam to be one of those players who takes us up through the leagues.  I believe we are one of the biggest clubs out side the Championship.

Really?! Of the top of my head bigger clubs than us outside the championship are: Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Charlton, Huddersfield, Bradford, Luton, Notts County, Carlisle, Preston and Swindon.

Then there are the teams who are slightly bigger than us/same size (certainly no smaller): Tranmere, Oldham, MK Dons, Brentford, Bournemouth, Rotherham, Oxford, Plymouth, Crewe, Bristol Rovers and Wrexham.

We'd be one of the bigger clubs in L2 possibly but certainly not if we got to L1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Biccys
March 23, 2012, 1:24pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

If needs be then yes, We are NOT a one man team. There were too many on here who thought it was the end of the world when AC left. If Liam is sold to progress his own career and for the benefit of the long term goals of the club then so be it. I fully trust S and H to bring in an adequate replacement should it happen, and I expect them to have been planning for his departure since January. Let's be honest who had heard of Liam before this season?

We are GTFC, Liam Hearn or no Liam Hearn!

Excellent post, agree fully.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 35
Marinerz93
March 23, 2012, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner91

Really?! Of the top of my head bigger clubs than us outside the championship are: Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Charlton, Huddersfield, Bradford, Luton, Notts County, Carlisle, Preston and Swindon.

Then there are the teams who are slightly bigger than us/same size (certainly no smaller): Tranmere, Oldham, MK Dons, Brentford, Bournemouth, Rotherham, Oxford, Plymouth, Crewe, Bristol Rovers and Wrexham.

We'd be one of the bigger clubs in L2 possibly but certainly not if we got to L1.

I would confidently put us up against if we were in the same league and position Swindon (who are top and only lost one game at home all season) and Carlilse (6th in league 1 but averaging under 5,000).  Notts County are averaging just over 6,500 so not much bigger.

There is currently around five teams whose gates are above the figure we are capable of getting for a decent league 1 side, they are
Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Charlton, Huddersfield, MK Dons (Av 8,000) and considering they are all at the top of league it stands to reason that they won't be in League 1 by the time we get back there in a few seasons time.

Bradford's gate numbers leave a lot to be desired, do they automatically say all their season ticket members are at the game.  Before they hit the prem they weren't much bigger than Town.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.