Hearn/Elding

This thread currently has 3,538 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Total Football
March 16, 2012, 9:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +9 / -1
The best strike partnership we had here at town for ages? Scored what 43 goals between them, and Liam never scored in his first 10+ games. Elding was on bench for first 15+ games. And never really got there partnership going until what October, November?

Hearn 28 and still not finished.

Elding 15 and still not finished.

We love both to be firing here together next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Brisbane Mariner
March 16, 2012, 11:19am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Been obvious recently that we have had indifferent results since they have been injured or banned etc

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 34
springstomind
March 16, 2012, 12:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Yer very good point, i tend to forget the both had very slow starts, i remember at the start of the season Elding was getting absolutely slated and became known for missing sitters and was braded by a few a waste of money. I admit i didnt think he could hit a barn door ealrier in the season, but what an asset he's turned out ot be and now the fans love him! He is an absolute work horse, great hold up player, poacher and all round striker in my eyes, perfect at this level and to put the icing on the cake, it is clearly evident from his goal celebrations/interviews that he is loving playing football for this club and the current form it has provided him with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
Martz86
March 16, 2012, 12:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +129
Gold Stars: 1
Elding still can't hit a barn door at times, thankfully finishes the slightly harder chances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
brad_gtfc
March 16, 2012, 12:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Elding just likes to keep us on our toes, he's missed LOADS of sitters this years, and I mean loads. Get a few difficult ones and he buries him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
Borbs
March 17, 2012, 8:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
I Agree we have lost our way when either have been out of the team. Both work tirelessly for the tea.

Always difficult to change it around when you have such a good partnership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
aldi_01
March 17, 2012, 8:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Even the greatest teams would miss their star striker who's scored 28 goals.

A partnership that has proven itself like that is always going to impact on the team...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
mr viv
March 17, 2012, 8:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Well i cant be assed so come on then someone work out the stats it would interesting. How many games have they played together to get the goals and as someone pointed out they probably hadnt scored any goals till bloody end of september or something. I bet the ratio of goals in the partnership per games is superb
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
oldun
March 17, 2012, 9:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
How about Elding's brilliant attempt to lob the keeper from distance early on against York. If that had gone in it would have been a contender for goal of the seaon. Fantastic vision ans skill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
moosey_club
March 17, 2012, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,334
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from oldun
How about Elding's brilliant attempt to lob the keeper from distance early on against York. If that had gone in it would have been a contender for goal of the seaon. Fantastic vision ans skill.

or alternatively, as this is how i saw it......what about Elding wasting that opportunity by not realsing the space he was in and shooting too early....funny old game!!  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
oldun
March 17, 2012, 9:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Yes Moosey two sides to everything, but he made a decision and went for it. It depends whether you a glass half full person or a glass half empty person. Half full for me every time!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
Doubled
March 17, 2012, 9:48am
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
Right decision to try and lob the keeper!   Half full, half empty? sounds like the glass is too big!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
Maringer
March 17, 2012, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
A poor decision by Elding to attempt the lob, for me. He could and should have run clean through on goal rather than attempting a difficult lob from the edge of the box. You've got to back yourself to beat the keeper on a one-on-one given the opportunity to do so.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
nightrider
March 17, 2012, 1:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I dont think Elding would back himself one on one with the keeper. I definitely wouldnt!

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
aaron rattray
March 18, 2012, 8:17am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
elding is a work horse. but sometimes his shooting lets him down

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
March 18, 2012, 8:52am
Guest User
I like Elding but would you swap him for Shaw at Gateshead? If the answer is yes, then we should sign Shaw next season. As one of the biggest clubs outside of the football league then we should be signing the best of the rest.
Reply: 15 - 34
Garth
March 18, 2012, 9:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Elding is the Pontoon seat breaker during pre match shooting practice still like to see him in the team tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
Meza
March 18, 2012, 9:22am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
If Elding had scored the lob people will be saying what a goal!! Misses and he's slated.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
hook line and sinker
March 18, 2012, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Wrong decision imo,why would you try lob a 6ft odd keeper from 18 yards out when you are clear on goal he makes a lot of wrong decisions cost us a point against york and could of cost us more if townsend wouldnt of scored the free kick against fgr (penalty miss). i do admire his attitude though he clearly wants to play for gtfc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
nightrider
March 18, 2012, 10:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Meza
If Elding had scored the lob people will be saying what a goal!! Misses and he's slated.

Thats just it though Meza, he missed  

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
HEARN 10 ELDING 39
March 18, 2012, 1:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Honestly some of you lot on here are absolute jokers..all you seem to want to do is sit and wait for mistakes from players etc, and come on here shouting excrement.A player wants to be here, show great passion for the club gives his all week in week out, always the first to encourage other players etc yet he's crap, makes wrong decision ie try to score a lob when clearly the keeper was just infront of the peno spot. Obviously some don't understand or see the bigger picture.. It was great awareness which was finger tips away from being executed..now talk of would you swap him for shaw? Why? Because shaw has scored more goals? Elding has played 30 odd game scored 15 not bad in my reckoning 1 in 2...and he has the attitude and passion FOR THE CLUB to go with it.. Yeah misses chances so does the best players in the world.. Before elding signed, an someone said he would run his absolute balls off for the club, show great passion for the shirt and score 15 in 30 odd games- 1 in 2.......would we have taken it... A BIG FAT YES....so stop moaning about the misses etc and appreciate what he actually does for the team..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
Total Football
March 18, 2012, 1:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from HEARN 10 ELDING 39
Honestly some of you lot on here are absolute jokers..all you seem to want to do is sit and wait for mistakes from players etc, and come on here shouting excrement.A player wants to be here, show great passion for the club gives his all week in week out, always the first to encourage other players etc yet he's crap, makes wrong decision ie try to score a lob when clearly the keeper was just infront of the peno spot. Obviously some don't understand or see the bigger picture.. It was great awareness which was finger tips away from being executed..now talk of would you swap him for shaw? Why? Because shaw has scored more goals? Elding has played 30 odd game scored 15 not bad in my reckoning 1 in 2...and he has the attitude and passion FOR THE CLUB to go with it.. Yeah misses chances so does the best players in the world.. Before elding signed, an someone said he would run his absolute balls off for the club, show great passion for the shirt and score 15 in 30 odd games- 1 in 2.......would we have taken it... A BIG FAT YES....so stop moaning about the misses etc and appreciate what he actually does for the team..

think i would have to agree with this..should concentrate on what he acttually does for the team  rather than what he dont..this is a football forum and thats what fans do..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
voice of reason
March 18, 2012, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1

Well said...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
nightrider
March 18, 2012, 6:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I dont agree. We've hit a sticky patch and lost out on promotion in the process. After seeing us against Cambridge I genuinely thought we'd make the playoffs but we're still some way off. These missed chances are things we need to put right for next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
cleefish
March 18, 2012, 7:50pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
;
Myself I said last season top 10 this would be ok been as we were in rebuild but any thing else would be a bonus and I still stand by that to get out of this league a club as to build and weeded out any week  links  and be selfish just like crawley and fleetwood then when  we are out we may lighten up a bit.
So Iam going to keep believing because thats all we have at least we  are not like lincoln their fans have just about given up I can see them folding all together I have heard from a good source that a builder as already got plans drawn up and in a safe stashed ready for the day.UTMM IN YOU WE TRUST
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
80sglory
March 18, 2012, 8:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from springstomind
Yer very good point, i tend to forget the both had very slow starts, i remember at the start of the season Elding was getting absolutely slated and became known for missing sitters and was braded by a few a waste of money.

Wasn't fit at the start of the season - simple as.

That said I think he's a bit over-rated - anyone would think he's in Hearns class.

Another top quality striker next year to push him (and Duffer) for that place please.

Reply: 25 - 34
Total Football
March 18, 2012, 9:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Wasn't fit at the start of the season - simple as.

That said I think he's a bit over-rated - anyone would think he's in Hearns class.

Another top quality striker next year to push him (and Duffer) for that place please.

bit over rated? you dont be a pro for what 13 years if your not any good, if he was over rated then he would have been found out and not have had the career he has...

o yeah just because theres a few saying bad things about elding, you soon jump on the bandwagon AS USUAL..and in the same breath the name duffy is always mentioned...

1 duffer as you say will be gone next year.

2 elding takes 25% wage cut to stay, so he certainly aint playing for the money.. and could really toss it off if he wanted but i think he far from does that..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Total Football
March 18, 2012, 9:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from 1600

anyone would think he's in Hearns class.

he is in the class of hearn.

ok take away hearns goals? has hearn got better workrate than elding? no
has hearn got better a touch than elding? no
has hearn played as many league games than elding? no
is hearn a team player like elding? no
has hearn ever played higher than the conferance? no
has hearns over all career got a better goal ratio than elding? no
does hearn have the awarness of elding?no
liam 26 playing for grimsby in bsp
elding at 26 playing for leeds in lg 1
so yes i would put elding in a class above hearn.

whats your point 80's?

in all honestly hearn has done nothing in his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
HEARN 10 ELDING 39
March 18, 2012, 9:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Total Football

whats your point 80's?

couldnt have put that any better myself.. 80 by the way you do urine me off. i told anthony about some of your comments on here..what do you think he said?

tipical football fans dont know nothing about football..rather than back the player, would rather go on forums slatting the players of the team they "support"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
80sglory
March 18, 2012, 9:48pm
Guest User
bit over rated? you dont be a pro for what 13 years if your not any good, if he was over rated then he would have been found out and not have had the career he has...

Not talking about that, I mean he's clearly being hero-worshipped in some quarters of the fishy.

o yeah just because theres a few saying bad things about elding, you soon jump on the bandwagon AS USUAL..

Boo hoo I gave an honest opinion so I'm a Elding hater am I ?  
The only bandwagon I'm on is GTFC.

Fans like you make me laugh - you talk about bandwagons but the slightest bit of criticism, it's toys out the pram time and a load of BS personal innuendo and finger pointing.

Personally, I think it's fans like YOU who are to blame for our demise - by apologising and making excuses for every reallity you can't deal with you're lowering expectations for everyone.
No fookin wonder the players haven't rolled up their sleeves and taken the p*ss for god knows how many years - they've got all the pre-prepared excuses they need !

and in the same breath the name duffy is always mentioned...

And your point is what exactly ?
By making a flippant joke I love him ?
Or I hate him ?
Get a grip man.

1 duffer as you say will be gone next year.

Never said that but you might be right.
But like Hurst says it's good to have other options.

Personally I think we can do better than both but hey, don't mind me, I'm just into promotion more than player worship.

2 elding takes 25% wage cut to stay, so he certainly aint playing for the money.. and could really toss it off if he wanted but i think he far from does that..

You're far too quick to leap to assumptions.

Never said Elding should leave. And if we're getting 25% off that's good news, just saying we could do with more competition.
Are you against that ?
Or do you need to check if competition for places is ok with King Anthony first ?  

Anyway, what makes you think it's gonna be cuts next season ?
Reply: 29 - 34
HEARN 10 ELDING 39
March 18, 2012, 10:00pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Not talking about that, I mean he's clearly being hero-worshipped in some quarters of the fishy.

Boo hoo I gave an honest opinion so I'm a Elding hater am I ?  
The only bandwagon I'm on is GTFC.

Fans like you make me laugh - you talk about bandwagons but the slightest bit of criticism, it's toys out the pram time and a load of BS personal innuendo and finger pointing.

Personally, I think it's fans like YOU who are to blame for our demise - by apologising and making excuses for every reallity you can't deal with you're lowering expectations for everyone.
No fookin wonder the players haven't rolled up their sleeves and taken the p*ss for god knows how many years - they've got all the pre-prepared excuses they need !

And your point is what exactly ?
By making a flippant joke I love him ?
Or I hate him ?
Get a grip man.

Never said that but you might be right.
But like Hurst says it's good to have other options.

Personally I think we can do better than both but hey, don't mind me, I'm just into promotion more than player worship.

You're far too quick to leap to assumptions.

Never said Elding should leave. And if we're getting 25% off that's good news, just saying we could do with more competition.
Are you against that ?
Or do you need to check if competition for places is ok with King Anthony first ?  

Anyway, what makes you think it's gonna be cuts next season ?

fans like me? im not a fan im a family member of anthony.. and some of the stuff YOU come out with is absolute shite. who you gonna get with better pedigree than anthony for the wage hes taken? and the track record hes got?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
80sglory
March 18, 2012, 10:02pm
Guest User

ok take away hearns goals? has hearn got better workrate than elding? As good as yes !
has hearn got better a touch than elding? Both are nothing special if you ask me.
has hearn played as many league games than elding? Who cares ?
is hearn a team player like elding? ffs Yes !!!  
has hearn ever played higher than the conferance? Yeah why did we sign him eh ?
has hearns over all career got a better goal ratio than elding? Past again.
does hearn have the awarness of elding? hmmm give you that one just. Then again didn't that "awareness" led to Yorks winner ?
Ooops better not get factual, it's a hate crime these days.  

whats your point 80's?

As I said, more competetion for places.

But why are you giving me this awful feeling Hearn is gonna be on his way next season ?  
Reply: 31 - 34
80sglory
March 18, 2012, 10:11pm
Guest User
fans like me?

I wasn't even speaking to you was I ?

im not a fan im a family member of anthony.

Good for you.
Well you think what's best for your family member and I'll be thinking of what's best for GTFC mate.

and some of the stuff YOU come out with is absolute shite

Oh really, like what ?
Saying he should go ? Never said that did I ?
So what then ?

who you gonna get with better pedigree than anthony for the wage hes taken? and the track record hes got?

Difficult to answer - don't know how much he's on.
Good track record I don't disagree.
Reply: 32 - 34
pontoonlew
March 19, 2012, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181

whats your point 80's?

Mind. Blown.

I love Elding, he's been brilliant here BUT. Just because Hearn hasn't got his breakthrough til now doesn't mean he's not a better player. Elding failed spectacularly at Leeds and only really achived anything in terms of goals at Stockport. Oh and Hearn not got a better ratio than Elding in his career? Your wrong in that mate I'm almost sure, I'll work it out soon.

On your wise summary Jamie Vardy is not as good as Elding. Any ex league striker is better than any late up and coming player. Absolute stupid statement and determental to all brilliant late starters in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
pontoonlew
March 19, 2012, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Anthony Elding 362 games - 116 goals. Which is a goal every 3.12 games.

Liam Hearn 187 games - 110 goals. Which is a goal every 1.7 games.

Probably best to not try undermine our best player and be spectacularly wrong in the process.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hearn/Elding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.