Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Greatest Grimsby Town team of all time!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 123 Guests

The Greatest Grimsby Town team of all time!

This thread currently has 10,211 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
March 14, 2012, 5:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,457
Gold Stars: 15
I know we have always had debates on who would be in our all time Grimsby Town side, who was the best midfielder? keeper? etc etc but I had an idea that would settle this for good. I know where other clubs are concerned sometimes the local paper runs a poll amongst fans to find out the ultimate overall greatest 11 players, being 1 keeper, a right back, left back, two centre backs, right midfield, left midfield, two central midfielders and two forwards.

Perhaps The Fishy could run poll's on each respected positions and we could see who our fanbase favours overall? Then this would could go down as our official decision?

What do the rest of you think ?

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
March 14, 2012, 7:41pm
Guest User
Here's my favourite XI. I've been going about 26/27 years and I'm 35 so I can only base my eleven on what I have seen. I've only included permanent player, not loans and a standard 4-4-2:

1. Aidan Davison (gk) - just pips Danny Coyne, mainly due to about 300 clean sheets in the famous 97/98 season.
2. John Mcdermott (rb) - no other right back comes anywhere near. When he was in his prime, he was a top Championship rightback. Perhaps he was too loyal.
3. Garry Croft - (lb) Wins by default to be honest!
4. Paul Futcher - (cb) The greatest player I have ever seen play for Grimsby, my hero.
5. Mark Lever - (cb) Okay, not the most talented but he would put his head where most wouldn't put their feet.
6. Shaun Cunnington (cm) - box to box player who used to drive us on.
7. Gary Childs - (rm) just beats Kevin Donovan. Tricky, good footballer, lacked a bit of balderdash but that's why he was out wide I suppose
8. Dave Gilbert - (lm) Magic left foot, great vision and good technique
9. Neil Woods - (fwd) Lacked pace, great awareness and a great touch. If he had any pace he would not have played for Grimsby.
10. Clive Mendonca (fwd) - Awesome finisher, top Championship standard striker who struggled with injuries.
11. Paul Groves (cm) - Magnificent box to box midfielder who was good for 12-15 goals a season. Very rarely injured (if ever).

There you go, that team would push for promotion to the Premier league in my opinion.
Reply: 1 - 35
Marinerz93
March 14, 2012, 8:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The best Town team of all time finished 5th in what is now the Premiership, next.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
barralad
March 14, 2012, 9:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Marinerz93
The best Town team of all time finished 5th in what is now the Premiership, next.

Couldn't agree more. Build the team around Bestall and Pat Glover...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
aaron rattray
March 15, 2012, 6:19am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
well im 16 tomorrow and this is based on what ive seen, ps i have seen loads of season reviews.

danny coyne- it would be steve mildenhall but coyne played at the first divison which is the championship now and mildenhall played in league 2

john mcdermott- not fast but consisten and i can remember his great goal against rushden and diamonds

rob jones people- may see he wasnt all that great but he did cost hibs some cash

ryan bennett -same reason as rob jones

tony gallimore- not fast but consistent in his position and if he was bad he wouldnt have played all the game what he did play

kevin donavan- ive seen him in videos and hes great

paul bolland- this ginger nut is better than disley and he always wanted to get stuck ina nd he did do with great affect

paul groves- great leader, okay not a great manager but he did very well and he was a real threat in the air from corners and free kicks

steve livingstone- i could play this guy in centre back if i wanted too but he did a great job and always got stuck in and scoring 43 goals for town when he plaed in centre back a lot of times just proves how prolific he was when he played up front for us.

michael reddy- i can remember when he walked it in the net against torquay, a little unlucky with injuries but did very well and his goalscoring record proves that

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
Neilo83
March 15, 2012, 6:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from aaron rattray
well im 16 tomorrow and this is based on what ive seen, ps i have seen loads of season reviews.

danny coyne- it would be steve mildenhall but coyne played at the first divison which is the championship now and mildenhall played in league 2

john mcdermott- not fast but consisten and i can remember his great goal against rushden and diamonds

rob jones people- may see he wasnt all that great but he did cost hibs some cash

ryan bennett -same reason as rob jones

tony gallimore- not fast but consistent in his position and if he was bad he wouldnt have played all the game what he did play

kevin donavan- ive seen him in videos and hes great

paul bolland- this ginger nut is better than disley and he always wanted to get stuck ina nd he did do with great affect

paul groves- great leader, okay not a great manager but he did very well and he was a real threat in the air from corners and free kicks

steve livingstone- i could play this guy in centre back if i wanted too but he did a great job and always got stuck in and scoring 43 goals for town when he plaed in centre back a lot of times just proves how prolific he was when he played up front for us.

michael reddy- i can remember when he walked it in the net against torquay, a little unlucky with injuries but did very well and his goalscoring record proves that

Only 10 players, u missed a left mid out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
aaron rattray
March 15, 2012, 6:34am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
excrement rob eagle then, i know he was excrement but i couldnt think of anymore

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 15, 2012, 6:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
I feel sorry for u Aaron,  if that is the best team you have seen, but then again given your tender years it probably is.

Batch
McDermott, Moore K, Futcher Cummings
Ford, Waters, Groves Gilbert
Drinkell, Mendonca

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
GodHelpUs
March 15, 2012, 11:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Wainman
McDermott
Nichol
K. Moore
Cumming
Donovan
Chatterley
Waters
Brolly
Whymark
Drinkell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
Rick12
March 15, 2012, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 75

10. Clive Mendonca (fwd) - Awesome finisher, top Championship standard striker who struggled with injuries.

only going on what Ive seen(admittedly cant get to BP as much as I would like) but for me probably the best player Ive seen in a town shirt  

quality

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
RonMariner
March 15, 2012, 2:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Can't believe no one has included Ivano Bonetti or Trevor Wymark yet.  Two of the highest quality players to pull on the shirt in the 40 odd years I have been watching.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
RonMariner
March 15, 2012, 2:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
apologies to Godhelpus, just spotted your list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Denby
March 15, 2012, 2:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
coyne
macca futch* tillson croft
childs groves cunnington gilbert
mendonca woods

*snr
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
RonMariner
March 15, 2012, 2:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Here you go from players I have seen......

Beasant

MacDermott
Futcher
K Moore
Croft

Bonetti
Waters
Cunnington
Oster

Whymark
Drinkell

Subs:-
Batch
Wilkinson
Birtles
Nicol
Ford
Mendonca

What a side that would be, packed with premier leaugue standard players. Would comfortable hold it's own in the championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
American Mariner
March 15, 2012, 3:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Happy birthday for tomorrow Aaron from the United States,I dont mean you're from the United States lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
Coley Surfer
March 15, 2012, 3:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Beasant wasn't a Town player, he was on loan.

Batch

McDermott
Moore K
Futcher P
Cumming

Ford
Waters
Groves
Bonetti

Drinkell
Mendonca

Subs.

Coyne
Nicholl
Cunnington
Peake A
Whymark

very close to Laughing Mariners team

So here I am once more in the playground of the broken hearts
One more experience, one more entry in a diary, self-penned
Yet another emotional suicide overdosed on sentiment and pride
Too late to say I love you, too late to re-stage the play
Abandoning the relics in my playground of yesterday
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
aaron rattray
March 15, 2012, 7:41pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from American Mariner
Happy birthday for tomorrow Aaron from the United States,I dont mean you're from the United States lol

haha thanks

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 15, 2012, 8:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
From the players I've seen at BP

GK Charlie Wright - absolutely the best shot stopper ever

RB Don Donovan - Eire international
CH Kevin Moore - intelligent defender
CH Keith Jobling - reliable
LB Paul Agnew - underrated defender

CM Andy Peake - class
CM Paul Groves - power

RW Johnny Scott - brilliant crosser
CF Ron Rafferty - natural choice
CF Trevor Wymark - superb football brain
LW Jimmy Fell - brilliant crosser

subs

Nigel Batch
Paul Futcher
Matt Tees
Kevin Drinkell
Doug Collins
Dave Boylen
Ron Cockerill

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
March 15, 2012, 8:09pm
Guest User
I preferred Gilbert over Bonetti as Bonetti wasn't here long enough. And I didn't like the way he wanted money to play for Macca's testimonial. Gilbert was quality and consistent so gets my nod.
Reply: 18 - 35
newfootballer
March 16, 2012, 11:36am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from 75
I preferred Gilbert over Bonetti as Bonetti wasn't here long enough. And I didn't like the way he wanted money to play for Macca's testimonial. Gilbert was quality and consistent so gets my nod.

That is true Vicar Bonetti was a money grabbing person who when his mate came to ask for a appearance in Macca`s Testimonial he came out with a huge demand for money.

The reason I know that is because I helped Macca with his benefit game, even suggested that Macca to get hold of Bonetti could not believe what he was asking for disgraceful indeed.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
mr viv
March 17, 2012, 8:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
1. Coyne 2. Mcdermott 3. Croft 4. Groves 5. Futcher 6.Todd 7.Childs 8.Cunnington 9.Mendonca 10.Wilkinson 11.Gilbert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
March 17, 2012, 10:56am
Guest User
Quoted from newfootballer

[/b]

That is true Vicar Bonetti was a money grabbing person who when his mate came to ask for a appearance in Macca`s Testimonial he came out with a huge demand for money.

The reason I know that is because I helped Macca with his benefit game, even suggested that Macca to get hold of Bonetti could not believe what he was asking for disgraceful indeed.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Is it a cultural thing Dave? Is that how they carry on in Serie A? Or is he just a member who can't duck out of the way of plates / chicken?
Reply: 21 - 35
wigworld
March 17, 2012, 11:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from 75
And I didn't like the way he wanted money to play for Macca's testimonial.

I didn't know about that. On the other hand though, didn't he pay half of the £100,000 appearance fee (or whatever it was) himself, to come and play for us?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 35
Brisbane Mariner
March 17, 2012, 11:10am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from GodHelpUs
Wainman
McDermott
Nichol
K. Moore
Cumming
Donovan
Chatterley
Waters
Brolly
Whymark
Drinkell

That's more like it!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 35
Henryscat
March 17, 2012, 11:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from wigworld

I didn't know about that. On the other hand though, didn't he pay half of the £100,000 appearance fee (or whatever it was) himself, to come and play for us?

It was £100k and yes he did pay half - but didn't it transpire in the end that the company we paid the money to was owned by bonnetti himself?

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
paddymariners
March 17, 2012, 11:23am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Quoted from Rick12
only going on what Ive seen(admittedly cant get to BP as much as I would like) but for me probably the best player Ive seen in a town shirt  

quality

Best I've seen in a Town shirt too. He was even better in a Charlton shirt with superior players around him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
March 17, 2012, 11:23am
Guest User
Quoted from Henryscat

It was £100k and yes he did pay half - but didn't it transpire in the end that the company we paid the money to was owned by bonnetti himself?

Haha, slippery Italians. You gotta love em. Nice clothes, cheesy growlers and the home of Armani.
Reply: 26 - 35
Henryscat
March 17, 2012, 11:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Beasant/Crichton gk
McDermott rb
Tillson cb
P.futcher cb
Agnew lb
Bonnetti/oster lw
Cunnington cm
Santos cm/dm
Birtles rw
Rees cf
Mendonca cf

Bench
Cockerill
A.todd
Kevin jobling
Childs
Hearn

Playing a couple slightly out of position I know but they were that good they could do it. Alternatives for beasant and bonnetti due to reasons stated above

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Henryscat
March 17, 2012, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 75

Haha, slippery Italians. You gotta love em. Nice clothes, cheesy growlers and the home of Armani.

Armani, Versace, prada, CP/SI, etc etc etc

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
80sglory
March 20, 2012, 4:11am
Guest User
Quoted from 75
Here's my favourite XI. I've been going about 26/27 years and I'm 35 so I can only base my eleven on what I have seen. I've only included permanent player, not loans and a standard 4-4-2:

1. Aidan Davison (gk) - just pips Danny Coyne, mainly due to about 300 clean sheets in the famous 97/98 season.
2. John Mcdermott (rb) - no other right back comes anywhere near. When he was in his prime, he was a top Championship rightback. Perhaps he was too loyal.
3. Garry Croft - (lb) Wins by default to be honest!
4. Paul Futcher - (cb) The greatest player I have ever seen play for Grimsby, my hero.
5. Mark Lever - (cb) Okay, not the most talented but he would put his head where most wouldn't put their feet.
6. Shaun Cunnington (cm) - box to box player who used to drive us on.
7. Gary Childs - (rm) just beats Kevin Donovan. Tricky, good footballer, lacked a bit of balderdash but that's why he was out wide I suppose
8. Dave Gilbert - (lm) Magic left foot, great vision and good technique
9. Neil Woods - (fwd) Lacked pace, great awareness and a great touch. If he had any pace he would not have played for Grimsby.
11. Paul Groves (cm) - Magnificent box to box midfielder who was good for 12-15 goals a season. Very rarely injured (if ever).

There you go, that team would push for promotion to the Premier league in my opinion.

I'm from the same era and that's about the core of it.

Only changes might be Tillson for Lever and Wilkinson/Rees(my 2 heros) for Woods.

Drinkell was a star but like you, was far too young to really notice him play.

Are the most knowledgable fans gonna work on poll shortlists for each position ?  
Remember you can do multiple choice polls for those with 2 similar positions.
Comes down to a vote I'm voting best player regardless of whether I've seen them play.
If someone could do a "runners and riders" thing per postion would be brilliant !

Great idea from the OP - would the Telegraph be interested or do fans want to show them how it's done ?
No pressure, not trying to take over ! (out of my league anyway).
Just some ideas if fans think it's worth doing these polls ?
Reply: 29 - 35
barralad
March 20, 2012, 8:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
I can't quite remember who but I'm sure someone did a poll position by position a year or so ago (Forza Ivano?)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
newfootballer
March 20, 2012, 8:23pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from Henryscat

The man was an exceptional good footballer, but in my eyes you had to watch every move he made financially, and your comment above was perfectly true.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
80sglory
March 20, 2012, 10:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
I can't quite remember who but I'm sure someone did a poll position by position a year or so ago (Forza Ivano?)

Ah right.
Would be interested to see the team if anyone has it.
Reply: 32 - 35
livvo
March 21, 2012, 12:27am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
no pouton anywhere.................absolutely loved pouts..........and wayne burnett for that matter...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
March 21, 2012, 7:10am
Guest User
Quoted from livvo
no pouton anywhere.................absolutely loved pouts..........and wayne burnett for that matter...

Yeah, they were close to my team (Pouts closer) but Pouts was one footed, Wayne was a quality footballer with lovely technique and an eye for a pass to be fair.
Reply: 34 - 35
aldi_01
March 21, 2012, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Wouldn't have Pouton in my all time town side...has to be a  midfield of cummins and leary for me...

I don't care who is in it as long as super clive is up top...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Greatest Grimsby Town team of all time!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.