Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Greatest Grimsby Town team of all time!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 313 Guests

The Greatest Grimsby Town team of all time!

This thread currently has 10,129 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
March 14, 2012, 5:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
I know we have always had debates on who would be in our all time Grimsby Town side, who was the best midfielder? keeper? etc etc but I had an idea that would settle this for good. I know where other clubs are concerned sometimes the local paper runs a poll amongst fans to find out the ultimate overall greatest 11 players, being 1 keeper, a right back, left back, two centre backs, right midfield, left midfield, two central midfielders and two forwards.

Perhaps The Fishy could run poll's on each respected positions and we could see who our fanbase favours overall? Then this would could go down as our official decision?

What do the rest of you think ?

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
March 14, 2012, 7:41pm
Guest User
Here's my favourite XI. I've been going about 26/27 years and I'm 35 so I can only base my eleven on what I have seen. I've only included permanent player, not loans and a standard 4-4-2:

1. Aidan Davison (gk) - just pips Danny Coyne, mainly due to about 300 clean sheets in the famous 97/98 season.
2. John Mcdermott (rb) - no other right back comes anywhere near. When he was in his prime, he was a top Championship rightback. Perhaps he was too loyal.
3. Garry Croft - (lb) Wins by default to be honest!
4. Paul Futcher - (cb) The greatest player I have ever seen play for Grimsby, my hero.
5. Mark Lever - (cb) Okay, not the most talented but he would put his head where most wouldn't put their feet.
6. Shaun Cunnington (cm) - box to box player who used to drive us on.
7. Gary Childs - (rm) just beats Kevin Donovan. Tricky, good footballer, lacked a bit of balderdash but that's why he was out wide I suppose
8. Dave Gilbert - (lm) Magic left foot, great vision and good technique
9. Neil Woods - (fwd) Lacked pace, great awareness and a great touch. If he had any pace he would not have played for Grimsby.
10. Clive Mendonca (fwd) - Awesome finisher, top Championship standard striker who struggled with injuries.
11. Paul Groves (cm) - Magnificent box to box midfielder who was good for 12-15 goals a season. Very rarely injured (if ever).

There you go, that team would push for promotion to the Premier league in my opinion.
Reply: 1 - 35
Marinerz93
March 14, 2012, 8:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The best Town team of all time finished 5th in what is now the Premiership, next.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
barralad
March 14, 2012, 9:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Marinerz93
The best Town team of all time finished 5th in what is now the Premiership, next.

Couldn't agree more. Build the team around Bestall and Pat Glover...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
aaron rattray
March 15, 2012, 6:19am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
well im 16 tomorrow and this is based on what ive seen, ps i have seen loads of season reviews.

danny coyne- it would be steve mildenhall but coyne played at the first divison which is the championship now and mildenhall played in league 2

john mcdermott- not fast but consisten and i can remember his great goal against rushden and diamonds

rob jones people- may see he wasnt all that great but he did cost hibs some cash

ryan bennett -same reason as rob jones

tony gallimore- not fast but consistent in his position and if he was bad he wouldnt have played all the game what he did play

kevin donavan- ive seen him in videos and hes great

paul bolland- this ginger nut is better than disley and he always wanted to get stuck ina nd he did do with great affect

paul groves- great leader, okay not a great manager but he did very well and he was a real threat in the air from corners and free kicks

steve livingstone- i could play this guy in centre back if i wanted too but he did a great job and always got stuck in and scoring 43 goals for town when he plaed in centre back a lot of times just proves how prolific he was when he played up front for us.

michael reddy- i can remember when he walked it in the net against torquay, a little unlucky with injuries but did very well and his goalscoring record proves that

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
Neilo83
March 15, 2012, 6:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from aaron rattray
well im 16 tomorrow and this is based on what ive seen, ps i have seen loads of season reviews.

danny coyne- it would be steve mildenhall but coyne played at the first divison which is the championship now and mildenhall played in league 2

john mcdermott- not fast but consisten and i can remember his great goal against rushden and diamonds

rob jones people- may see he wasnt all that great but he did cost hibs some cash

ryan bennett -same reason as rob jones

tony gallimore- not fast but consistent in his position and if he was bad he wouldnt have played all the game what he did play

kevin donavan- ive seen him in videos and hes great

paul bolland- this ginger nut is better than disley and he always wanted to get stuck ina nd he did do with great affect

paul groves- great leader, okay not a great manager but he did very well and he was a real threat in the air from corners and free kicks

steve livingstone- i could play this guy in centre back if i wanted too but he did a great job and always got stuck in and scoring 43 goals for town when he plaed in centre back a lot of times just proves how prolific he was when he played up front for us.

michael reddy- i can remember when he walked it in the net against torquay, a little unlucky with injuries but did very well and his goalscoring record proves that

Only 10 players, u missed a left mid out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
aaron rattray
March 15, 2012, 6:34am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
excrement rob eagle then, i know he was excrement but i couldnt think of anymore

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 15, 2012, 6:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
I feel sorry for u Aaron,  if that is the best team you have seen, but then again given your tender years it probably is.

Batch
McDermott, Moore K, Futcher Cummings
Ford, Waters, Groves Gilbert
Drinkell, Mendonca

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
GodHelpUs
March 15, 2012, 11:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Wainman
McDermott
Nichol
K. Moore
Cumming
Donovan
Chatterley
Waters
Brolly
Whymark
Drinkell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
Rick12
March 15, 2012, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 75

10. Clive Mendonca (fwd) - Awesome finisher, top Championship standard striker who struggled with injuries.

only going on what Ive seen(admittedly cant get to BP as much as I would like) but for me probably the best player Ive seen in a town shirt  

quality

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Greatest Grimsby Town team of all time!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.