10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
March 13, 2012, 9:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Totally and utterly outplayed in every department by a far better side.

It pains me to watch teams come here and overrun our midfield week after week.Every time we get the ball,the opposition have it back within 5 to 10 seconds.Why the fook can't we pass it about like other sides seem to manage.We arer always back on our heels,always second to every loose ball and we look slow in a lot of positions.

Think tonight showed we are not good enough for the top five as every team in it keep beating us home and away.

Their winner summed it all up for me.We somehow manage to get ourselves back in the game against all the odds,then Elding plays a tired risky pass straight to their defender,who promptly runs the full length of the pitch unchallenged to fire home.Someone should have taken him out by fair means or foul.I can't think of one player in our team who would score a goal like that.

York played like  i want us to play and it p1sses me off that we don't.

BTW,happy birthday Barra.
Logged Offline
Private Message
craigy
March 13, 2012, 10:00pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
i didnt attend the game tonight due to my dads 60th bday meal, would you say that we missed church in mid?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 97
Simariner
March 13, 2012, 10:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Men against Boys?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 97
RoboCod
March 13, 2012, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Sounds about right from what was said on the radio. Just sounds even more like KHM should have been on, as Elding was obviously tiring. Not sure what S&H were thinking tonight.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 97
pontoonlew
March 13, 2012, 10:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,119
Gold Stars: 182
Disley needs to be dropped, no doubt.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 97
davmariner
March 13, 2012, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pontoonlew

To be fair, I've been saying this for nearly a month now!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 97
Perkins
March 13, 2012, 10:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 7
Midfield? WHAT Midfield??????????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 97
battered haddock
March 13, 2012, 10:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
i agree we were second best all over the park.....oh well there always next season.pfffffffffffffffffff........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 97
Mighty_Mariner
March 13, 2012, 10:06pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,262
Gold Stars: 10
Apart from a 15 minute spell we were shocking tonight, Pearson went back to his bambi on ice act, Miller and Townsend were terrible, Coulsin was anonymous and need dropping IMO! Winn really needs to try and take on his fullback more instead of crossing from near the halfway line. The only players to come out with any credit are Silk who I thought was outstanding, first half especially and Elding who didn't stop running all night (dodgy pass that led to their goal aside)

Gutted but York deserved it more!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 97
Marinerdeano
March 13, 2012, 10:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Funny how people see different games in different players.  Thought the role suited Disley well but he missed support alongside him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 97
ginnywings
March 13, 2012, 10:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from craigy
i didnt attend the game tonight due to my dads 60th bday meal, would you say that we missed church in mid?

No.

They would just have passed it around him like thy did all the others.

2-3 really flattered us.Top marks for our grit and determination but they were streets ahead of us and could comfortably had four or five.In fact,if York were more ruthless they'd probably be top of the league playing like that.Best side i've seen here all season.

Can't understand why KHM didn't get on.We had no pace up front apart from Winn and the ball very rarely went his way.

Ah well,there's always next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 97
GTFC28
March 13, 2012, 10:12pm
Guest User
flipping excrement total waste of hard earned cash intercourse going to the game on Saturday not getting anymore of my money
Reply: 11 - 97
cleedale
March 13, 2012, 10:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Quoted from craigy

More like we missed a bloomin cathedral!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 97
DanTheMariner
March 13, 2012, 10:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
devastated.

we didn't deserve anything from the game but when we somehow got it back to 2-2, we never should have lost.
McKeown, Silk and Winn standout players for me.

Was slowly getting annoyed with an old guy sat behind me who did nothing but criticise from the first whistle. don't see the point in people like that coming, especially when he just contradicted himself for 90 mins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 97
DocDock
March 13, 2012, 10:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
Agree with York outplaying town, midfield was poor tonight. Also playing Duffy and Elding together just doesn't work, formation in the first half didn't work either and Wood didn't play well either. Should have had KHM and Elding for me.

Deserved to lose and on that showing we're just not good enough for the playoffs unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 97
jimbo22
March 13, 2012, 10:21pm
Beer Drinker
Over run tonight. Disley was fighting on his own in the centre of midfield., Thanoj went missing. Wood made a difference when he came on, but we were already chasing the game by then.

I hate the guy, but we need someone like scott kerr, a "ratter" who just runs along his backline mops it all up, tackles and just plays it.

One of the most frustrating things for me tonight was the fact Duffy came on rather than Hughes Mason, we clearly missed pace tonight, but who am i to argue. Missed Hearn, simple as that.

Best game from Eldings for a while, he was immence.

Ref and Linesman were poor, as per usual

York were decent going forward, but there back four is suspect if put under pressure.

Gutting result, but still got a good shout to get in the playoffs, lots of twists and turns to be had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 97
March 13, 2012, 10:21pm
Guest User
Very poor display from the whole team.

Very poor officials (missed a shocking late challenge on Elding, not an excuse for his poor pass) cost us the game IMO

Very poor tactics half time we all expected a change not made then 2 down we think it might be a good idea to make a sub !

The coloured player on the bench for them making gestures towards the home crowd (being reported) = out of order

The winner came from a player lucky to be on the pitch typical !

not else worth saying

Reply: 16 - 97
STB
March 13, 2012, 10:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I didn't go but I'm sure the ref, ITV digital or Pete Bore/Danny North was to blame.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 97
AndyGTFC
March 13, 2012, 10:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
Very disappointing to lose in that way. York were definitely the better team on the night but our performance was far from terrible. First half was very open and both teams looked quite threatening going forward. The timing of the second goal was bad and after that, we were hanging on for a bit but managed to get back into the game.

You definitely can't question the character of this side, they keep going until the end every game but I just don't think we have the quality to beat the top sides at this moment in time. Definitely keeping the faith though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 97
DocTower
March 13, 2012, 10:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Beaten by a better side , passed it better, quicker, mixed it, and played football . This is the way to get out of this division . Mr Scott and Hurst are still seeing what this division has to offer and build a team to get out . This evenings game was a good yard stick to judge this .

Gauling that we nearly had a point to loose it as did Forest Green , well thats football , you can't win em all !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 97
Maringer
March 13, 2012, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,768
Gold Stars: 189
The key word tonight is "Pace".

They have lots and lots. We have none. Most of the teams around and above us have some quick players. We don't (KHM excepted).

It's no coincidence that the better teams in this division are all beating us, usually by just one goal as the margin isn't too big, but beating us nonetheless.

Now, to give York their due, they also played very good football but this was in part possible because their midfield and forward line was so much faster than our midfield and defence. They knew that, invariably, if they lost the ball, they would be able to win it back quickly and set off on the counter. I'd say that they had at least 4 players who were faster than anyone we had on the pitch and, after the confidence boost given to them by Townsend's member-up, they didn't look back. It didn't help that our defending for all three goals was dreadful as well.

It will take a minor miracle for us to make it into the play-offs and a major miracle for us to win promotion if we do. Assuming KHM plays an important role when Hearn departs next season, I think we will need to see another 2 or 3 quick players signed including one or two in midfield.

I'm surprised that some seem to think that Silk was good tonight as I thought he was rather poor. He was majorly at fault for their second goal - after McKeown palmed the header away, Silk just froze instead of just putting his foot through it and clearing. Preposterous.

Miller also had his worst game for us.

Oh well, there's always next year...

Bloody hell, the local BBC News has just told me that we drew 2-2 tonight! Did I miss something?  

Quick edit: I agree that York's defence was no great shakes. We created quite a few chances despite having little of the play. Just a pity that their attacking players were so effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 97
barralad
March 13, 2012, 10:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Shouldn't really post without a night to think about it but here goes....

Chased shadows for 70 minutes. So one sided it was embarrassing. We get back into it and then show staggering naivety from someone who should know better when Elding attempted a 60 yard cross field pass when surely to hold and check was the correct option. That whole move was reminiscent of Giggs goal against Arsenal in the cup semi final of 1999 except in one way...the guy who picked up the ball didn't have to beat any of our players we just let him stroll 40 yards and shoot.

Agree with all of those who say we aren't good enough for the top five. Hopefully we can build for next year.

Where was the lad with the unfeasibly long name tonight. If ever a game was calling out for someone with pace out wide it was tonight.

York were easily the best team I've seen here this season. Their movement off the ball was excellent.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 97
BIGChris
March 13, 2012, 10:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
No doubt York were the better team on the night. Their manager said it was the best they have played all season.

Althought the result flattered us I am sure any coach of a Sunday league side would be dissapointed by the errors for all 3 of their goals. So despite York being undoubtedly the better side we gifted them the goals.

We hadnt done too badly despite the bizzare decision to switch to a formation we havent played all season and then young Connor makes an awful mistake and they then dominated. We stayed in the dressing room because the reactions of a few players to their 2nd were woeful.

I didnt think the changes we made particually helped us. Wood struggled in possession and also without the ball (as had Thanoj) and the lack of pace up front could have been remidied with KHM to change the threat.

Criminal that we allowed a full back to run from 10 yards in his own half to fire home the winner from the edge of our box without having to even shrugg off one challenge!!

Sorry to read that so many have now written off the season. I havent, and I hope the players havent either. There will be more twists and turns yet.

Anyone recall us beating Cheltenham twice in the league and what happened in the play off final???
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 97
chaos33
March 13, 2012, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,988
Gold Stars: 365
Perfectly summed up in the first half of that post. York showed they were superior in the home game earlier in the season. I thought, after that game, that the lesson to be learned relating to pace was absolutely clear, but, to our detriment, we have not heeded the warning. This is why we'll fall short this season despite the valiant efforts of the players and the management. We are much improved, but we're not good enough to go up, and we won't be until we can install some players with pace in the team, who can pass/retain the ball.

As you say BC, to let the left back run unopposed for 50 yards before rifling in a free shot is criminal and worthy of a bollocking.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 97
Fishfinger
March 13, 2012, 10:42pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
Thought the players showed plenty of effort but York deserved to win the game overall. Their passing was and movement was great. Hard to take after getting back into the game against all the odds but football can be a cruel game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 97
ross1cod
March 13, 2012, 10:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -1
outplayed all over the pitch, gifted all 3 goals imo,no pace in the team,played york 3 times,and on 2 occasions they hammered us... still a slim chance of playoffs, but doubt we will make them now... seems the bubble has burst..utfm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 97
pontoonlew
March 13, 2012, 10:48pm
Vodka Drinker
First half we were well in it, both sides attacked well but our midfield was just truely atrocious. York were allowed to attack us time after time, it was pretty simple, sit deeper in midfield and the game would be in our hands. We didn't do that and we should had been made to pay more and were lucky to go in at 1-0. We did have chances, but it felt like we were down to 10 men at times without Hearn. Elding would win the ball and have nobody anyway near him to help him out, how the intercourse is that supposed to work?! Surely KHM should've played up top, Elding winning the ball and KHM latching onto things. Yorks goal came from daftness from Townsend who tried to play himself out of trouble, York hassled and hassled all game and it got them the goal.

Second half York knew what to do and we got totally destroyed for 25 mins. Disley was flipping excrement yet again, he needs to be dropped without a doubt. We brought Duffy on which was plain stupid, especially as it was for Soares who played well. Then we brought off Thanoj for Wood?! What? Why is Disley so undroppable? We Then got a lucky break from Winn trapping the ball and swinging into Elding who headed in. We did push on a bit after that but never exactly dominated, our second decent break saw Elding nod down to Coulson who just threw himself at it, I really thought after that we were going to win. York had just brought Walker off before the goal and it seemed like they'd have no threat at all. We pushed for a goal without any clear cut oppotunities, then Elding breaks and inexplicably tries a 40 yard pass across the pitch with a minute left. Yorks guy runs and runs at our no existant midfield and has a free run to finish nicely, flipping raging!

Ref was dire, there must had been 7-8 clear cut handballs missed. We missed Hearn desperately, but at the end of the day we were second best. Haven't seen us that bad in months but it was a good game to watch, think that's just about it now. 6 points off with 10 games left, going to take quite a lot.

Player run downs;

Mckeown - Exposed by his defence countless times, I did think he could've held onto the first effort that led to the second goal but I'll have to wait for the replay for that. 6/10

Silk - Defended well, distribution wasn't great but  he was one of our better players tonight 7/10

Miller & Pearson Both flipping shite tonight, yes they were exposed a lot but intercourse me! Neither of them knew which man they were meant to have and everytime they came near them we looked like conceding. 5/10

Townsend At fault for the goal for dicking about, never really recovered from that. 5/10

Winn Not quite as electric as Saturday but certainly made the difference in us getting the goals back. I'm impressed with him! 7.5/10

Disley Dogshite, what has happened to him? The guy can't pass anymore, can't tackle anymore and can't get in and amongst the play. He's not undroppable and he shouldn't be treated as that. 5/10

Thanoj At least he tried to tackle, don't get me wrong he wasn't great but he deserved to stay on more than Disley. 6/10

Coulson Had a good first half, ran at them well but couldn't be arsed in the second. He very rarely puts in a 90 minute shift but got the goal. 6.5/10

Soares For a start, it's SOARES! Not flipping Suarez, it's cringeworthy hearing that name branded about   He was massively unlucky to come off too. Thought he played well and an improvement on Saturday. 6.5/10

Elding - Played really well for me, worked tirelessly but when you've got nobody to latch on to the balls what are you meant to do? I know the pass looks daft and maybey it was, but none of us wanted him to take it into the corner if we're honest. 7.5/10

Both subs had very very little effect and they were confusing at best. Meh meh meh meh.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 97
aaron rattray
March 13, 2012, 10:52pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
we let a york player run 40 yards and nobody even attempted a challange also their first goal just stick it in the stands. if it knocks an old mans glasses off so what? barrymore strikes again and apparantly hearn wasnt injured

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 97
wigworld
March 13, 2012, 10:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from aaron rattray
we let a york player run 40 yards and nobody even attempted a challange also their first goal just stick it in the stands. if it knocks an old mans glasses off so what? barrymore strikes again and apparantly hearn wasnt injured

Have you been at the alcopops?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 97
jimbo22
March 13, 2012, 10:53pm
Beer Drinker
[quote=872]

Townsend At fault for the goal for dicking about, never really recovered from that. 5/10

Think Mckeown has to take some responsibility for that first goal. With Townsend facing his own goal, the keeper should be screaming at him to play it back or smash it out of play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 97
oldun
March 13, 2012, 10:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
First of all what an all action game of football which had a bit of everything. Second York played very well throughout, they passed and moved very well, attacked with pace and got numbers forward. The give away goal for thei first was a shame as it gave them a boost after Town had looked liley to score to be fair and their keeper made 3 good saves to deny us. At half time even though York were playing well I still though the game was there to be won. Unfotunately we gave away a sloppy set piece goal at a crucial time. By sheer effort and by going direct we managed to score 2 goals and had the momentum for a while. Elding, who by the way was superb for 90 minutes, his workrate, drive and enthusiasm was great, then decides to play killer crossfield pass which did not come off to leave their player with a clear run, but still plenty to do to score a very late winner. Cruel but in the end the best team won. With Elding and Duffy on I thought we should have got the ball out to Winn more as he could supply crosses for those two, instead when we had the ball we were playing in tight areas and getting closed down quickly. Well done York you played very well. As Hurst said on RH we would have won against most teams but teams above us are there for a reason. Season not over yet so lets keep going and see what happens. Keep the support coming.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
Maringer
March 13, 2012, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nope. A ridiculous balls-up from Townsend (who, despite his goal at the weekend, has been out of sorts of late) and McKeown can't be held responsible for a defender trying to be clever in his own box and tripping over the ball, gifting the opposition a goal.

Full-backs don't need to be told not to try anything flash in that sort of situation.

Oh well. Let's hope we can get things back on track on Saturday.

York were twice the team tonight compared to the Trophy game last month so we need to make sure we raise our game as well. I think the play-offs are beyond us but we need to make sure that we end the season on a good run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
TAGG
March 13, 2012, 11:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,912
Quoted from STB
I didn't go but I'm sure the ref, ITV digital or Pete Bore/Danny North was to blame.

We can’t win every game.
Sometimes you have to take it on the chin, admit you were beat by a better team and move on.  
There are still plenty of points to play for its not over yet. I will be there Saturday to see us win 3-0

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 97
gtfc98
March 13, 2012, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from pontoonlew

Are you flipping mental? Thought he had a decent game tonight

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 97
Mariner Ronnie
March 13, 2012, 11:06pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
I'm not writing play offs off just yet, we still have a game in hand over Mansfield and if we win that we are only 4 points behind, let's not give up just yet UTM!!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
marinette
March 13, 2012, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
I think that was the most exciting game I've seen all season - until the killer York goal right at the end, the atmosphere was crescendo-ing to boiling point        and the players were responding.  

I don't know if York were better, but they were certainly quicker than us.  Three individual errors from three individual players to gift the game to York - it happens.  Never mind.  As long as those players learn from their mistakes.  

Marvellous fightback to draw level.  Best fightback I've seen for years.  Thoroughly enjoyed that bit.  I think Gary Silk (single error aside) gets better every time I see him.  Bradley took a while to settle down but you started to see flashes of his old self as the game went on.  Shaun Pearson had one or two deft touches but not as good as Saturday.  But I really like what I've seen of Peter Winn.  He gives it everything.  If we can keep him and Bradley and some of the others until next season I reckon we could be cooking on gas.  Elding (embarrassing error aside) rose in my estimation tonight - not because he was trying to stir up the crowd or played particularly brilliantly, but because he went in for one or two really crunching tackles and looked as if he meant it.  Oh and he won some excellent headers, one after the other, in the first half.

I'm not too disappointed.  I don't think we were too far off coming away with at least one point, and possibly just by upping our game a fraction, injecting a bit of pace and cutting out the errors, we could have come away with three.  I always did question our ability to match the higher teams in this league, but I think we are nearly there now.  Just a few tweaks, a bit more experience and a bit of pace.  I'm not sure that Kiernon Hughes-Mason is the answer, though - he could be, but have we really seen enough of him to be able to judge?  Scott and Hurst, after all, have seen far more of him than we have.

PS  And don't forget we were without our 'star' striker.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 97
Tommy
March 13, 2012, 11:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Absolutely gutted to lose to a last minute goal. But the blow of losing in that fashion is cushioned a bit in knowing that York were the better side and deserved the win. Without a doubt the best side we have played against in our 2 seasons at this level.

The movement of their players off the ball was on a different level to anything we have faced this season and led to Pearson and Miller having poor games. Walker lead the line brilliantly and he kept dropping off, bringing one of the cb's with him. Leaving a big gap whích one of the wide players ran into and we got caught out with this several times in the first half straight through the middle. We were lucky to only be 1-0 down at half time. We weren't terrible but York were better and we were chasing shadows once York went ahead and grew in confidence.

Yes a big mistake by Townsend (similar to how he cocked up for Lincoln's goal at Sincil Bank) but let's remember he single-handedly turned 1 point into 3 on Saturday. Silk had a good game and only really got done once by their winger who was a handful again.

Thanoj was poor and looked like an inexperienced young lad against Kerr (who does his job excellently winning the ball and giving it simple to those around him) and the number 3 and 26 who are both very comfortable on the ball and sharp with their movement on and off the ball. Disley struggled too but we still need more movement off the ball and options for the man on the ball to be able to pass it.

2nd half York still wasted chances after going 0-2 up and we showed great character to get back to 2-2. Great cross from Winn and header from Elding for our 1st.

Elding played well tonight and was still chasing and working hard in the last minute so don't blame him for the goal. Let's not forget their player started his run in his own half so there should have been plenty of opportunity to stop him.

Its going to be tough to make the play-offs now but it isn't impossible. Couldn't realistically see us beating the likes of York/Wrexham in them if we got there though.

Good effort Town we were just beaten by a better side tonight.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
lowerfindus
March 13, 2012, 11:19pm

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Plan A is to hoof it from the back then hope for Hearn, Elding and Coulson to get us a goal.

What is plan B for Town? Introduce Duffy, continue hoofing it and hope someone else gets a goal.

Effort 10/10
Quality 0/10

Chances of playoffs NIL

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
ticker_1610
March 13, 2012, 11:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Thought Duffy for a big man lost possession too easily and didn't close defenders down. Disley was so weak on the ball and tackling, his decision making in and around the box is awful. Coulson had a steady first half but doesn't take his player on but looks to offload everytime unless he cuts inside. Took his goal well n put more effort into celebrating than he did tracking their LB in the build up to their 3rd. We need real pace and trickery wide right and a midfielder in who can dictate games physically and athletically. Panther would have blocked the winning run, Disley just guided the player towards goal like cummins or Hudson used to do.

Our shape looked wrong and we looked jaded and second to a sharp attacking team, that said pace would have pushed them back tonight but we didn't have any from the start. We also didn't get bodies into their box and in their faces until the last 20 then we scored 2. Interesting to see what Tamworth decide to do against us on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
Perkins
March 13, 2012, 11:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 7

Idiot. who told you this? your Dad again? Hearn was limping all the way to his seat in the upper Findus, and down again. i don't know about Barrymore striking, i wish lightning would. Stupid boy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
Wrawby_Mariner
March 13, 2012, 11:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862

You remind me of Liam from Benidorm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZWl9K0O7c

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 40 - 97
Tommy
March 13, 2012, 11:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 3581
flipping excrement total waste of hard earned cash intercourse going to the game on Saturday not getting anymore of my money

First home league defeat for 5 months and we get someone posting this drivel. Go and support Man Utd - they don't lose very often.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 97
mimma
March 13, 2012, 11:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,611
Gold Stars: 78
Winning goal came from a late tackle on Elding, which was worthy of a card.

They were faster than us all over the pitch, deserved to win.

Why can't Town fans just hold up their hands & admit we were beaten by a better side, instead of berating everyone  & name calling?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 97
ticker_1610
March 13, 2012, 11:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Because with a few changes or additions we could be competing n beating teams like York n Fleetwood, otherwise why have a forum?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 97
nightrider
March 13, 2012, 11:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from lowerfindus
Plan A is to hoof it from the back then hope for Hearn, Elding and Coulson to get us a goal.

What is plan B for Town? Introduce Duffy, continue hoofing it and hope someone else gets a goal.

Effort 10/10
Quality 0/10

Chances of playoffs NIL

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 97
TownSNAFU5
March 13, 2012, 11:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,919
Gold Stars: 42
Just back - in York.  This makes the pain more severe.  York were much better. This is hard to take. I support most of the above comments, having glanced through them.

The whole day was wrong.  York news was that Walker was still injured (he did no play last Sat).  He was sprinting and moving like a greyhound.  Liam was supposed to be fit and he wasn't.

I took 2 neutral fans to the game was a first time visit.  They liked the pitch and the Upper Findus stand.  In the first half they thought we could not keep the ball, or even win it at times.  Midfield not sharp enough.  HT could have seen York well in front.  We got worse after HT before the come-back.

A just result but bitter pill to swallow.   We have come back well before this season but now have too many players off-form or tired and needing a break.  Play-offs are an outside chance but we will probably miss out.  3 points needed on Sat and hope rivals lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 97
Bullitt
March 13, 2012, 11:58pm
Guest User

Stop talking excrement about Hearn, he has an Achilles problem, you are as bad as your dad as talking donkey kong.
Reply: 46 - 97
carrot top
March 14, 2012, 12:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Thoroughly entertaining game tonight, shame about the result, which to be fair York deserved overall. Good advert for this BSP, which wouldn't have looked out of place in the football league. I'm surprised that York aren't closer to Fleetwood or Wrexham on this showing.
I don't think we played badly, just that York on the night were the better side. Have to feel for Elding as he said he was going for the killer ball, and was also clattered which should have been a free kick. Thought overall he had a good game. Would like to see KHM given a run as we do lack some pace

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 97
thedmariner
March 14, 2012, 12:05am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from marinette
I think that was the most exciting game I've seen all season - until the killer York goal right at the end, the atmosphere was crescendo-ing to boiling point        and the players were responding.  

I don't know if York were better, but they were certainly quicker than us.  Three individual errors from three individual players to gift the game to York - it happens.  Never mind.  As long as those players learn from their mistakes.  

Marvellous fightback to draw level.  Best fightback I've seen for years.  Thoroughly enjoyed that bit.  I think Gary Silk (single error aside) gets better every time I see him.  Bradley took a while to settle down but you started to see flashes of his old self as the game went on.  Shaun Pearson had one or two deft touches but not as good as Saturday.  But I really like what I've seen of Peter Winn.  He gives it everything.  If we can keep him and Bradley and some of the others until next season I reckon we could be cooking on gas.  Elding (embarrassing error aside) rose in my estimation tonight - not because he was trying to stir up the crowd or played particularly brilliantly, but because he went in for one or two really crunching tackles and looked as if he meant it.  Oh and he won some excellent headers, one after the other, in the first half.

I'm not too disappointed.  I don't think we were too far off coming away with at least one point, and possibly just by upping our game a fraction, injecting a bit of pace and cutting out the errors, we could have come away with three.  I always did question our ability to match the higher teams in this league, but I think we are nearly there now.  Just a few tweaks, a bit more experience and a bit of pace.  I'm not sure that Kiernon Hughes-Mason is the answer, though - he could be, but have we really seen enough of him to be able to judge?  Scott and Hurst, after all, have seen far more of him than we have.

PS  And don't forget we were without our 'star' striker.

thanks for that,saved me writing something similar
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 97
arryarryarry
March 14, 2012, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,024
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from mimma
Winning goal came from a late tackle on Elding, which was worthy of a card.

No it didn't it was a hopeless cross field ball by Elding, yes he was caught as their player followed through but the ball had well gone and wasn't influenced by the tackle at all.

I must be missing something about Elding because apart from his goal I thought he was poor, some of his passing was gash. I thought Disley had a good game and had no idea what Silk was doing when they scored their second.

Thanoj was invisible and tonight for me showed that if Hearn goes then a forward pairing of Elding and Duffy will get us nowhere. I also thought that the 11 picked and the formation was not what we wanted.

Fair play to York, they were the better side for most of the game and deserved to win, just very disappointing that an experienced player like Elding goes at fooks it up at the end.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 97
pontoonlew
March 14, 2012, 12:25am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

No it didn't it was a hopeless cross field ball by Elding, yes he was caught as their player followed through but the ball had well gone and wasn't influenced by the tackle at all.

I must be missing something about Elding because apart from his goal I thought he was poor, some of his passing was gash. I thought Disley had a good game and had no idea what Silk was doing when they scored their second.

Thanoj was invisible and tonight for me showed that if Hearn goes then a forward pairing of Elding and Duffy will get us nowhere. I also thought that the 11 picked and the formation was not what we wanted.

Fair play to York, they were the better side for most of the game and deserved to win, just very disappointing that an experienced player like Elding goes at fooks it up at the end.

Not one person berated the ball from Elding until there guy stuck it in the net 60 yards later. It wasn't anything to do with Elding, Giving the ball away 60 yards from goal when going for the 3rd goal we all thought we were going to get isn't the reason the ball went in the net, it's the Coulsons, Woods and Disleys of the team who decided to let the guy run and run.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 97
arryarryarry
March 14, 2012, 12:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not one person berated the ball from Elding until there guy stuck it in the net 60 yards later. It wasn't anything to do with Elding, Giving the ball away 60 yards from goal when going for the 3rd goal we all thought we were going to get isn't the reason the ball went in the net, it's the Coulsons, Woods and Disleys of the team who decided to let the guy run and run.

I understand what you are saying, yes he should have been challenged but at the end of the day, Elding had the ball, he tried a glory pass and passed it straight to the player who scored.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 97
marinette
March 14, 2012, 5:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not strictly true.  People did berate the ball from Elding when it happened.  Why?  Because we were at a point in the game when we needed, above all else, to keep possession.  York never stopped looking dangerous, even when we were at our most dangerous.  And if we'd let York get another goal at that point, there wouldn't be enough time to do anything about it.  Which proved to be exactly the case in the end.  No, we didn't all think we were going to get a third goal.  We all hoped for it, presumably, but I don't think many took York for granted enough to expect us to get the winner.  It would have been a very spectacular fightback indeed if we had.  Read the posts above and you will see that most people are saying York were by far the better team.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 97
Les Brechin
March 14, 2012, 7:38am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,731
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from arryarryarry

I understand what you are saying, yes he should have been challenged but at the end of the day, Elding had the ball, he tried a glory pass and passed it straight to the player who scored.

On the other hand though, if that ball had gone to one of the 2 Town players nearby and they had gone on to score then Elding would have been a hero. Don't blame Elding, blame the fact that we allowed their player to run 40 yards unchallenged before getting his shot in.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 97
biggles9999
March 14, 2012, 8:00am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Les Brechin

On the other hand though, if that ball had gone to one of the 2 Town players nearby and they had gone on to score then Elding would have been a hero. Don't blame Elding, blame the fact that we allowed their player to run 40 yards unchallenged before getting his shot in.

Surely the same as the Michael Thomas winner at Anfield back in 89, John Barnes still gets the blame for not holding the ball up in the corner better. Arsenal covered the full length of the pitch to score.

Strikers missing chances, not holding the ball up and trying glory passes are just as culpable for goals as defenders for not putting tackles in. The defenders/midfielders should have challenged the guy at some point, but perhaps Elding should have stayed more composed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 97
jonnyboy82
March 14, 2012, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
totally outplayed by york who at times were taking the urine out of us..

townsend had a poor game had did all of em apart from elding who i thought was outstanding for the majority..

shows alot of things wrong still and a lot of work to do if we can even think of promotion..

the major dissapointment was our tempo we were soooo slow and the amount of times we had the simple pass on instead for it being hoofed up into nowere or out of play with pearson being the main culprit..

we need 2 central midfielders asap.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 97
Total Football
March 14, 2012, 9:10am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Quoted from jonnyboy82
totally outplayed by york who at times were taking the urine out of us..

townsend had a poor game had did all of em apart from elding who i thought was outstanding for the majority..

shows alot of things wrong still and a lot of work to do if we can even think of promotion..

the major dissapointment was our tempo we were soooo slow and the amount of times we had the simple pass on instead for it being hoofed up into nowere or out of play with pearson being the main culprit..

we need 2 central midfielders asap.

echo this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 97
headingly_mariner
March 14, 2012, 9:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from pontoonlew

Coulson and Disley were busting a gut to support him, How was it Coulson's fault if the pass was intended for him. It was a possibly poorly judged to try and sling a hollywood ball across the pitch but i don't blame any of them.

I think it is clear we lost to a far better footballing side, they have a great style and a style which many said could not be successful in this league. I do think that we showed a lot of character and what we lack in quality we make up for in heart and graft. I also think the criticism of coulson and Disley on here is quite unreasonable as both players effort is immense and the ground they both cover is staggering.
Disley is often our only player willing to run past our strikers, he also pops up with the ball in our own box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 97
Havelock the Dane
March 14, 2012, 9:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Surprised Mckeown isn't getting more stick for their first goal. Kicked it long from near the corner flag then wandered back to his goal as though out for a sunday stroll. Townsend missed it because he glanced up and realised Mckeown wasn't back in position which put him off.  Should still have put his foot through it but mitigating circumstances.

Not the first goal he has helped concede by being far too casual. Someone should tell him that looking cool is less important than keeping clean sheets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 97
maxfox44
March 14, 2012, 9:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Two things made the difference last night.  Scott Kerr

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 97
arryarryarry
March 14, 2012, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

And IF i had got six numbers on the lottery I would be a millionaire.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 97
Maringer
March 14, 2012, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Havelock the Dane
Surprised Mckeown isn't getting more stick for their first goal. Kicked it long from near the corner flag then wandered back to his goal as though out for a sunday stroll. Townsend missed it because he glanced up and realised Mckeown wasn't back in position which put him off.  Should still have put his foot through it but mitigating circumstances.

Not the first goal he has helped concede by being far too casual. Someone should tell him that looking cool is less important than keeping clean sheets.

I'm staggered that anybody is seriously looking to blame McKeown for their opener. It was 100% the fault of Townsend. As a former full-back, I know that it is your responsibility to clear the danger in situations like that, either by passing back to the keeper to clear or kicking it out of play. Townsend did well to get into position in front of the attacker by then attempted to be too clever by feinting to turn away with the ball but missed it altogether and tripped over. A terrible error, but he is a young player so I'm sure he will learn.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
Pontoon Steve
March 14, 2012, 10:24am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Quoted from jimbo22
[quote=872]

Think Mckeown has to take some responsibility for that first goal. With Townsend facing his own goal, the keeper should be screaming at him to play it back or smash it out of play.

Agree.

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
Pontoon Steve
March 14, 2012, 10:35am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
apparantly hearn wasnt injured

If you had listened to radio Hullberside Hearn has a hamstring injury, so your home work for tonight is to look it up and let us all know how serious an injury that is. You can then come back on and give us your prognosis, just to help you out here's a clue.

opinion on course of injury: a medical opinion as to the likely course and outcome of a injury.

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
forza ivano
March 14, 2012, 10:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,303
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from jimbo22
Over run tonight. Disley was fighting on his own in the centre of midfield., Thanoj went missing. Wood made a difference when he came on, but we were already chasing the game by then.

I hate the guy, but we need someone like scott kerr, a "ratter" who just runs along his backline mops it all up, tackles and just plays it.

One of the most frustrating things for me tonight was the fact Duffy came on rather than Hughes Mason, we clearly missed pace tonight, but who am i to argue. Missed Hearn, simple as that.

Best game from Eldings for a while, he was immence.

Ref and Linesman were poor, as per usual

York were decent going forward, but there back four is suspect if put under pressure.

Gutting result, but still got a good shout to get in the playoffs, lots of twists and turns to be had.

this - didn't go or listen last night but imho disley and thnaoj are too similar we need either/or plus a mannypanther/yard dog type in the centre.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
flash1
March 14, 2012, 10:52am
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1

well he must have been telling me porkies then last when telling me about his injury and how he was gutted about missing the game

rather be a codhead than a scunt

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
Biccys
March 14, 2012, 10:57am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Disley & Thanoj are NOT holding midfielders. Theyr'e both playmakers and shouldn't be aske dto completely change their game and play as defensive players. This is why we struggled in midfield last night. Notice how things improved when Brad came on? There's a reason for that...

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 97
brad_gtfc
March 14, 2012, 11:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Firstly. intercourse off Ratface, your so boring its unreal.

Summary.

1st goal - Townsends fault, not McKeowns at all. He's still young and learning, and you learn from your mistakes. You cant expect an 18 year old to not make mistakes, all part of his development. He's only had 2 major ones last night and Lincoln, unfortunately for him they've scored from both. I hope he doesn't let it get to him as he's a very good player.

2nd goal - I do like Silk, think hes improved alot since being back in the team, but for intercourse sake, why didn't he just put his foot through it?!

3rd goal - Elding went for the Hollywood ball, bad decision, yes. But I do feel for him, we had 3 on 3 if the ball made it. In that situation I think nearly everybody in our team would've done the same. But also why the hell do nobody even close him down, Disley looked knackered trying to get across and Pearson closed him down far too late, also though McKeown could've done better with it.

From what I've just said, all 3 goals were self inflicted.
Thats not to take anything away from York, well sort of. They were fantastic and a cut above us. A good measuring stick for the managers.
Although we did have chances of our own, which there keeper pulled off some good saves from.

If we dont get in the play offs I wont be too disapointed. 20 games in we were nowhere near it, so its being good to watch us improve and hopefully we'll carry it onto next season.

Unfortunate for the managers to lose Hearn and Church for the game as I feel they could've made a big difference last night. But I cannot understand there reluctance to give KHM or whatever he's called game time. Really does baffle me that one.

We lost to a better side and 2 losses in 20 is it? Could be worse.
UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
logan412
March 14, 2012, 12:07pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Dont think many have mentioned him, but I thought Winn did very well. Took a while to get into the game but once on the ball had a bit of composure about him and his crossing was good also. For Elding goal he put the ball on his forehead!

As most have said though the better team won, and as much as i dislike the bloke Kerr was different class last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
FishOutOfWater
March 14, 2012, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Firstly. intercourse off Ratface, your so boring its unreal.

Summary.

1st goal - Townsends fault, not McKeowns at all. He's still young and learning, and you learn from your mistakes. You cant expect an 18 year old to not make mistakes, all part of his development. He's only had 2 major ones last night and Lincoln, unfortunately for him they've scored from both. I hope he doesn't let it get to him as he's a very good player.

2nd goal - I do like Silk, think hes improved alot since being back in the team, but for intercourse sake, why didn't he just put his foot through it?!

3rd goal - Elding went for the Hollywood ball, bad decision, yes. But I do feel for him, we had 3 on 3 if the ball made it. In that situation I think nearly everybody in our team would've done the same. But also why the hell do nobody even close him down, Disley looked knackered trying to get across and Pearson closed him down far too late, also though McKeown could've done better with it.

From what I've just said, all 3 goals were self inflicted.
Thats not to take anything away from York, well sort of. They were fantastic and a cut above us. A good measuring stick for the managers.
Although we did have chances of our own, which there keeper pulled off some good saves from.

If we dont get in the play offs I wont be too disapointed. 20 games in we were nowhere near it, so its being good to watch us improve and hopefully we'll carry it onto next season.

Unfortunate for the managers to lose Hearn and Church for the game as I feel they could've made a big difference last night. But I cannot understand there reluctance to give KHM or whatever he's called game time. Really does baffle me that one.

We lost to a better side and 2 losses in 20 is it? Could be worse.
UTM!

Good summary!

All I'll add is that McKeown's initial clearance upfield gave them possession allowing the ball to come back in to the position where Townsend was at sixes and sevens

Had we played the ball out of defence using our full backs a few times instead of just lumping it forward only to lose the 50/50's this could have been avoided imho

Second goal I couldn't see too clearly from the Pontoon but from what I did see, it looked like sloppy defending....as someone else above said, it seems a few still had their heads in the dressing room from half time and weren't in synch with what was going on around them

My take on the Elding pass is that it wasn't the ball to be playing at that stage of the game.....but he wasn't to blame for us conceding

Their lad had to run at least 50 yards before unleashing his shot so that must go down as a collective error by our midfield for not closing him down. Not much Elding could do once his pass had been intercepted

I was devastated to lose it so late after we'd got back in it but that's football....the highs and the lows are all part of the game

It galls me to think we've lost to York three times now this season and each time it's been one goal in it and ALL of their winners have come in the final stages. They probably deserved their 3 points last night but from what I've seen, if we are lucky enough to get to the play offs and meet them, I don't think we have anything to fear

We just need to do the simple things right (like keep the ball instead of gifting them possession) keep positive and match their desire and with a bit more luck on our side, we could take them no problem!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 69 - 97
DocTower
March 14, 2012, 1:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from jimbo22
[quote=872]

This is what I said , McKeown had a full view of what was going on . It was either MY BALL . or GET RID MAN ON  . He's got a pair of lungs but doesn't command his area . Yes, he's only young but get the basics right .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 97
moosey_club
March 14, 2012, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Lets face it...

They have beat us three times this season now which could well be an indication that they are actually just better than us.

We started very brightly Elding and Coulson having reasonable chances before they had hardly got in our half.

We gifted them the first goal at a time that they were just getting going which only added to their momentum.

We did not have our talisman striker available yet still scored twice.

We did not play very well yet still scored twice.

There are so many ifs and buts in football last night having plenty, if Conor hadnt, if Silk had, if Elding hadnt etc but thats football.
A big positive for me is that there was no lack of effort from anyone last night, Soares probably the worst of the bunch for me but the rest ran and ran throughout chasing shadows for long periods which fuzzes the mind for when you do manage to regain possession and leads to poor decision making. As an example Coulson had a pretty poor game for me, beasted by Fyfield throughout but he never gave in trying and was rewarded with his goal, the team despite being second best as a team did not give up and almost snatched a point.
March was always going to be difficult with some better quality opposition and games twice a week so lets have a slight reality check before we start condemning every member of the squad as being sh/t.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 97
Garth
March 14, 2012, 2:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
We would all have been happy with seven points from the FGR, York and Saturdays game, if we win on Saturday we will be one point short of the seven hardly a disaster, believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 97
MuddyWaters
March 14, 2012, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Wood showed last night what many have said for a long time - worrying that H & S haven't done it before!
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 97
aaron rattray
March 14, 2012, 3:46pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
ive seen you all shooting the messanger, the guy next to me claimed that he spoke to hearn beore the game and liam supposedly told him "im not injured" but obvilosuly that bloke who told me that made it up so stop heckling me

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 97
rancido
March 14, 2012, 3:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,683
Gold Stars: 102
ive seen you all shooting the messanger, the guy next to me claimed that he spoke to hearn beore the game and liam supposedly told him "im not injured" but obvilosuly that bloke who told me that made it up so stop heckling me

Looks like school is out !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 97
Bullitt
March 14, 2012, 4:02pm
Guest User

Ah yeah, I like to listen to the words of strangers and spread them about as if they were the truth. I'm sure this "guy next to you" is a real person.
Reply: 76 - 97
GTFC28
March 14, 2012, 4:05pm
Guest User

Shut up Aaron I saw you last night near the burger van in the main stand, wearing chavvy track suit bottoms and excrement trainers
Reply: 77 - 97
rancido
March 14, 2012, 4:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 2075

Ah yeah, I like to listen to the words of strangers and spread them about as if they were the truth. I'm sure this "guy next to you" is a real person.

Spot on . There's a guy in our local chippie swears he's Elvis but I have my doubts.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 97
Bullitt
March 14, 2012, 4:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Spot on . There's a guy in our local chippie swears he's Elvis but I have my doubts.

I don't know... I mean if he said he's Elvis I'm pretty sure he won't be lying.
Reply: 79 - 97
Garth
March 14, 2012, 4:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Quoted from rancido

REALLY! you should not go through life as a non believer  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 97
rancido
March 14, 2012, 4:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 2075

I don't know... I mean if he said he's Elvis I'm pretty sure he won't be lying.

Yeh , but he looks older than I remember him and I've never heard this one sing either.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 97
Havelock the Dane
March 14, 2012, 4:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I'm staggered that anybody is seriously looking to blame McKeown for their opener. It was 100% the fault of Townsend. As a former full-back, I know that it is your responsibility to clear the danger in situations like that, either by passing back to the keeper to clear or kicking it out of play. Townsend did well to get into position in front of the attacker by then attempted to be too clever by feinting to turn away with the ball but missed it altogether and tripped over. A terrible error, but he is a young player so I'm sure he will learn.

You could only think it was 100% Townsend's fault if you didn't notice what happened a few seconds previously.  Still, feel free to be staggered if it gives you pleasure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 97
cleefish
March 14, 2012, 4:23pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
IMHO I do belive that the best team on the night won they seamed to want it more than us why didn't KHM. get a run out as the game called for speed as it was a fast pace myself I enjoyed it.
I would have liked a win but hey at least we lost with pride and myself if we don't make it this season I shall be proud of the management fenty and the sqaud.
And look forward to next season to find us in the top 5 all season with this sqaud happy day are back at the park after last night commitment they played their guts out for the  shirt and club well done no shame been bitten by a better team. UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 97
Maringer
March 14, 2012, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker

You could only think it was 100% Townsend's fault if you didn't notice what happened a few seconds previously.  Still, feel free to be staggered if it gives you pleasure.

Oooh, very snarky.

OK, I'll soften my stance. It was 99% the fault of Townsend for his complete and total balls-up of a simple defensive situation and 1% the fault of McKeown for a sub-par kick on a bobbly pitch before that.

Happy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 97
Jarmo.Is.God
March 14, 2012, 4:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from cleefish
IMHO I do belive that the best team on the night won they seamed to want it more than us why didn't KHM. get a run out as the game called for speed as it was a fast pace myself I enjoyed it.
I would have liked a win but hey at least we lost with pride and myself if we don't make it this season I shall be proud of the management fenty and the sqaud.
And look forward to next season to find us in the top 5 all season with this sqaud happy day are back at the park after last night commitment they played their guts out for the  shirt and club well done no shame been bitten by a better team. UTMM

you must put more emotions on your post's than all of the fishy put together !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 97
rancido
March 14, 2012, 4:43pm

Special Brew Drinker

So every goal kick that goes to an opposing player and then eventually leads to a goal is the goallies fault? Very interesting . If Connor hadn't tried to be clever but just cleared the ball then no goal would have resulted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 97
aaron rattray
March 14, 2012, 9:26pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

So every goal kick that goes to an opposing player and then eventually leads to a goal is the goallies fault? Very interesting . If Connor hadn't tried to be clever but just cleared the ball then no goal would have resulted.

well they might have scored from the throw in or corner

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 97
barralad
March 14, 2012, 9:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Quoted from pontoonlew

Would they be the players who were simply taken out of the game by the ease with which their lad was able to intercept the ball and just move forward?.

It was a truly ridiculous pass to try at that stage of the game.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 97
aaron rattray
March 14, 2012, 9:32pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 3581

Shut up Aaron I saw you last night near the burger van in the main stand, wearing chavvy track suit bottoms and excrement trainers

i didnt even go near it would have been my brother because he got a burger at half time

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 97
Bullitt
March 14, 2012, 9:49pm
Guest User

i didnt even go near it would have been my brother because he got a burger at half time

A man on this forum told me it was you so it must be true.

Reply: 90 - 97
Wrawby_Mariner
March 14, 2012, 9:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Quoted from 2075

A man on this forum told me it was you so it must be true.

At least you didn't tell the world who it was
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 91 - 97
pontoonlew
March 14, 2012, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Would they be the players who were simply taken out of the game by the ease with which their lad was able to intercept the ball and just move forward?.

It was a truly ridiculous pass to try at that stage of the game.

I'd be staggered if anybody wanted Elding in the corner from that position! Just watch the highlights and listen to the crowd roaring him on!

Suprised nobody has mentioned the dreadful offside given against Winn in the second half either! Must've been 5 yards on!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 97
Abdul19
March 14, 2012, 10:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from pontoonlew

Suprised nobody has mentioned the dreadful offside given against Winn in the second half either! Must've been 5 yards on!

Haha, yeah Elding was offside in the middle but was about 400 miles from the ball!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 97
Mariner Ronnie
March 14, 2012, 10:18pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from pontoonlew

I'd be staggered if anybody wanted Elding in the corner from that position! Just watch the highlights and listen to the crowd roaring him on!

terrible decision, the guy raised his flag the instant coulson kicked the ball

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 97
toontown
March 14, 2012, 11:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
yeah - good shout, one of the most blatantly awful decisions i have ever seen at a professional football match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 97
Havelock the Dane
March 15, 2012, 8:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

You misunderstand - there was nothing wrong with Mckeowns kick - it was the fact that he kicked it from near the corner flag and then  just strolled back towards his goal. Then when the ball was played forward he was still out of his area on the right hand side. Townsend would have looked up, realised the keeper wasn't in the goal or in any kind of decent position and hesitated. Yes, he should have blasted it anywhere, but not having your keeper where you expect him will put you off for a split second.

Jesus H. Christ, you make a perfectly valid post based on something you and many around you have witnessed, and you end up with people misquoting you, misunderstanding you and being staggered all over the place. I don't mean to stagger people. That's the last thing I want to do.  If you didn't see Mckeown's basic error, just say so, don't pretend it didn't exist just because you didn't see it, ya great bunch of numpties

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 97
rancido
March 15, 2012, 12:19pm

Special Brew Drinker

You misunderstand - there was nothing wrong with Mckeowns kick - it was the fact that he kicked it from near the corner flag and then  just strolled back towards his goal. Then when the ball was played forward he was still out of his area on the right hand side. Townsend would have looked up, realised the keeper wasn't in the goal or in any kind of decent position and hesitated. Yes, he should have blasted it anywhere, but not having your keeper where you expect him will put you off for a split second.

Jesus H. Christ, you make a perfectly valid post based on something you and many around you have witnessed, and you end up with people misquoting you, misunderstanding you and being staggered all over the place. I don't mean to stagger people. That's the last thing I want to do.  If you didn't see Mckeown's basic error, just say so, don't pretend it didn't exist just because you didn't see it, ya great bunch of numpties

Well I never saw it as a basic error by McKeown . I saw it as a full back being in possession of the ball and trying to play his way out instead of kicking it out for a throw.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 97
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.