This thread currently has 7,959 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
March 13, 2012, 10:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
First of all what an all action game of football which had a bit of everything. Second York played very well throughout, they passed and moved very well, attacked with pace and got numbers forward. The give away goal for thei first was a shame as it gave them a boost after Town had looked liley to score to be fair and their keeper made 3 good saves to deny us. At half time even though York were playing well I still though the game was there to be won. Unfotunately we gave away a sloppy set piece goal at a crucial time. By sheer effort and by going direct we managed to score 2 goals and had the momentum for a while. Elding, who by the way was superb for 90 minutes, his workrate, drive and enthusiasm was great, then decides to play killer crossfield pass which did not come off to leave their player with a clear run, but still plenty to do to score a very late winner. Cruel but in the end the best team won. With Elding and Duffy on I thought we should have got the ball out to Winn more as he could supply crosses for those two, instead when we had the ball we were playing in tight areas and getting closed down quickly. Well done York you played very well. As Hurst said on RH we would have won against most teams but teams above us are there for a reason. Season not over yet so lets keep going and see what happens. Keep the support coming.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
Maringer
March 13, 2012, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,762
Gold Stars: 189
Nope. A ridiculous balls-up from Townsend (who, despite his goal at the weekend, has been out of sorts of late) and McKeown can't be held responsible for a defender trying to be clever in his own box and tripping over the ball, gifting the opposition a goal.

Full-backs don't need to be told not to try anything flash in that sort of situation.

Oh well. Let's hope we can get things back on track on Saturday.

York were twice the team tonight compared to the Trophy game last month so we need to make sure we raise our game as well. I think the play-offs are beyond us but we need to make sure that we end the season on a good run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
TAGG
March 13, 2012, 11:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,932
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from STB
I didn't go but I'm sure the ref, ITV digital or Pete Bore/Danny North was to blame.

We can’t win every game.
Sometimes you have to take it on the chin, admit you were beat by a better team and move on.  
There are still plenty of points to play for its not over yet. I will be there Saturday to see us win 3-0

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 97
gtfc98
March 13, 2012, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from pontoonlew
Disley needs to be dropped, no doubt.

Are you flipping mental? Thought he had a decent game tonight

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 97
Mariner Ronnie
March 13, 2012, 11:06pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I'm not writing play offs off just yet, we still have a game in hand over Mansfield and if we win that we are only 4 points behind, let's not give up just yet UTM!!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
marinette
March 13, 2012, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I think that was the most exciting game I've seen all season - until the killer York goal right at the end, the atmosphere was crescendo-ing to boiling point        and the players were responding.  

I don't know if York were better, but they were certainly quicker than us.  Three individual errors from three individual players to gift the game to York - it happens.  Never mind.  As long as those players learn from their mistakes.  

Marvellous fightback to draw level.  Best fightback I've seen for years.  Thoroughly enjoyed that bit.  I think Gary Silk (single error aside) gets better every time I see him.  Bradley took a while to settle down but you started to see flashes of his old self as the game went on.  Shaun Pearson had one or two deft touches but not as good as Saturday.  But I really like what I've seen of Peter Winn.  He gives it everything.  If we can keep him and Bradley and some of the others until next season I reckon we could be cooking on gas.  Elding (embarrassing error aside) rose in my estimation tonight - not because he was trying to stir up the crowd or played particularly brilliantly, but because he went in for one or two really crunching tackles and looked as if he meant it.  Oh and he won some excellent headers, one after the other, in the first half.

I'm not too disappointed.  I don't think we were too far off coming away with at least one point, and possibly just by upping our game a fraction, injecting a bit of pace and cutting out the errors, we could have come away with three.  I always did question our ability to match the higher teams in this league, but I think we are nearly there now.  Just a few tweaks, a bit more experience and a bit of pace.  I'm not sure that Kiernon Hughes-Mason is the answer, though - he could be, but have we really seen enough of him to be able to judge?  Scott and Hurst, after all, have seen far more of him than we have.

PS  And don't forget we were without our 'star' striker.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 97
Tommy
March 13, 2012, 11:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Absolutely gutted to lose to a last minute goal. But the blow of losing in that fashion is cushioned a bit in knowing that York were the better side and deserved the win. Without a doubt the best side we have played against in our 2 seasons at this level.

The movement of their players off the ball was on a different level to anything we have faced this season and led to Pearson and Miller having poor games. Walker lead the line brilliantly and he kept dropping off, bringing one of the cb's with him. Leaving a big gap whích one of the wide players ran into and we got caught out with this several times in the first half straight through the middle. We were lucky to only be 1-0 down at half time. We weren't terrible but York were better and we were chasing shadows once York went ahead and grew in confidence.

Yes a big mistake by Townsend (similar to how he cocked up for Lincoln's goal at Sincil Bank) but let's remember he single-handedly turned 1 point into 3 on Saturday. Silk had a good game and only really got done once by their winger who was a handful again.

Thanoj was poor and looked like an inexperienced young lad against Kerr (who does his job excellently winning the ball and giving it simple to those around him) and the number 3 and 26 who are both very comfortable on the ball and sharp with their movement on and off the ball. Disley struggled too but we still need more movement off the ball and options for the man on the ball to be able to pass it.

2nd half York still wasted chances after going 0-2 up and we showed great character to get back to 2-2. Great cross from Winn and header from Elding for our 1st.

Elding played well tonight and was still chasing and working hard in the last minute so don't blame him for the goal. Let's not forget their player started his run in his own half so there should have been plenty of opportunity to stop him.

Its going to be tough to make the play-offs now but it isn't impossible. Couldn't realistically see us beating the likes of York/Wrexham in them if we got there though.

Good effort Town we were just beaten by a better side tonight.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
lowerfindus
March 13, 2012, 11:19pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Plan A is to hoof it from the back then hope for Hearn, Elding and Coulson to get us a goal.

What is plan B for Town? Introduce Duffy, continue hoofing it and hope someone else gets a goal.

Effort 10/10
Quality 0/10

Chances of playoffs NIL

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
ticker_1610
March 13, 2012, 11:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Thought Duffy for a big man lost possession too easily and didn't close defenders down. Disley was so weak on the ball and tackling, his decision making in and around the box is awful. Coulson had a steady first half but doesn't take his player on but looks to offload everytime unless he cuts inside. Took his goal well n put more effort into celebrating than he did tracking their LB in the build up to their 3rd. We need real pace and trickery wide right and a midfielder in who can dictate games physically and athletically. Panther would have blocked the winning run, Disley just guided the player towards goal like cummins or Hudson used to do.

Our shape looked wrong and we looked jaded and second to a sharp attacking team, that said pace would have pushed them back tonight but we didn't have any from the start. We also didn't get bodies into their box and in their faces until the last 20 then we scored 2. Interesting to see what Tamworth decide to do against us on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
Perkins
March 13, 2012, 11:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from aaron rattray
we let a york player run 40 yards and nobody even attempted a challange also their first goal just stick it in the stands. if it knocks an old mans glasses off so what? barrymore strikes again and apparantly hearn wasnt injured

Idiot. who told you this? your Dad again? Hearn was limping all the way to his seat in the upper Findus, and down again. i don't know about Barrymore striking, i wish lightning would. Stupid boy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.