5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
March 3, 2012, 5:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
That decision defies belief. The while refereeing performance destroyed any flow, we had chances and the clearance off the line was illogically brilliant. People who slated Duffy on the match thread are idiots, he did okay and in fairness if you werent there you cannot comment. He was constantly being fouled, there centre back clattered him 10 times, easily! Worst players were Townsend and Soares, both dreadful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
marinette
March 3, 2012, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Not sure I would describe Conor and Louie as 'dreadful', but the match as a whole was both frustrating and mundane, for the most part.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
Tommy
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Terrible referee today. Did his best to spoil the game for all the spectators (home and away) - blew his whistle any time there was contact, didn't let it flow or use the advantage rule.

We weren't at our best today at all. Played back to front far too much up to Duffy's head. Didn't pass the ball and get our wingers in the game enough. For that reason it's difficult to assess Soares on his debut.

The Braintree goal shouldn't have been allowed. Yes the last touch of the ball came from Disley but he just flicked it after a Braintree player had passed it. It's easy to say play to the whistle, and i've just heard Miller on RH saying they should have done, but when you look across and see the linesman flagging its kind of instinct to stop.

Would have been criminal if they had held on for a win though as they were happy to waste time throughout the whole match. And you could see how delighted they were with the point after the game.

Although we didn't play that well we still had several good chances and should have won the game. Some great goalkeeping a couple of times and good defending keeping shots out. Hearn should have buried his one-on-one with his left foot, Disley was unlucky really when he surged through and the guy gets it off the line, and Hughes-Mason did all he could to slide it in but great defending got that one over the bar too.

And a very strange one to end the game the ref blows for time with their no.9 bursting into our penalty box.

Silk was my man of the match. Couldn't understand Hearn getting it although the sponsors normally just give it to goalscorers as they probably don't understand the game that well. Thought Pearson was good too and arguably outshone Miller today.

Thought we lacked a physical presence in the middle of the park today. Thanoj and Disley are quite similar players and they were up agaisnt some physically big lads today.

Duffy won a lot in the air but still doesn't offer any movement and for me Elding would be straight back in the team on Tuesday night. Duffy is a 'plan b' type player rather than someone to start games i think.

Looks like results have generally gone for us today but it'd be great to come away from Fleetwood with a win or draw on Tuesday.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
aldi_01

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We had our chances and on another day would've scored 3-4 but we didn't. On the positive side, we didn't lose and never looked like we would. We just keep going. Hearn could've scored a couple and KHM could've grabbed the winner but for some great defending.

The one off the line defied physics and Braintree should be complimented for their last ditch defending although time wasting after the first minute and little willingness to actually win is frustrating and boring.

As for the decision, it's not even worth the debate. We will all have an opinion and and it'll just get us all wound up.

Onwards to Tuesday and eldings return which I think is inevitable.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
Sigone
March 3, 2012, 5:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Listening to J.T while at the game today and he was bang out of order with his comments about Duffy.  Half the time when he blamed Duffy it was Hearn or Soares that lost the ball.  Dont get me wrong Duffy wasnt great, but he wasnt as bad as J.T made out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
pontoonlew
March 3, 2012, 5:44pm
Vodka Drinker
The fact the red blew up when there guy was clean through summed everything up for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
pontoonlew
March 3, 2012, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sigone
Listening to J.T while at the game today and he was bang out of order with his comments about Duffy.  Half the time when he blamed Duffy it was Hearn or Soares that lost the ball.  Dont get me wrong Duffy wasnt great, but he wasnt as bad as J.T made out.

And in turn the people not at the game cause a witch hunt for Duffy in our absence. Nice one JT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
Les Brechin
March 3, 2012, 5:48pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
The ref was very poor. The most frustrating thing for me was that time and time again he failed to play the advantage rule and on a few occasions he was blowing for a foul straight away when we were still in possession in a decent postion.

However, for me, he was not at fault for their goal. The first rule of football is to play to the whistle, you don't stop when you see a flag. The ball came off Disley to their player who was in an offside position and he played it to their player who was onside.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
we will return
March 3, 2012, 5:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from pontoonlew
That decision defies belief. The while refereeing performance destroyed any flow, we had chances and the clearance off the line was illogically brilliant. People who slated Duffy on the match thread are idiots, he did okay and in fairness if you werent there you cannot comment. He was constantly being fouled, there centre back clattered him 10 times, easily! Worst players were Townsend and Soares, both dreadful.

Agree, very disappointed with Soares, other than winning a few headers in the first few minutes he did nothing and seemed incredibly slow, however I do think he'll prove to be a good player, Townsend's first touch just wasn't there today either. The non-offside decision was dreadful, yes the ball hit Disley on the way through to the striker but he was offside when their player first passed it, I know the defence should have played to the whistle but when a player is that far offside and the linesman's flag goes up it's natural to think the decision will be given. Also I'm not sure why our goal was disallowed, I'm guessing it was given for a foul on the keeper as he dropped the ball and the goal-line clearance was just ridiculous. Braintree's tactics were very poor constant fouling and faking injuries every few minutes. That said until they scored we offered very little but after they scored I'm not sure how we didn't go on to win it. MOTM- tough one, I'd probably say Disley.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
AndyGTFC
March 3, 2012, 5:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Nothing much happened in the game until their goal. That decision was a flipping joke though, can't believe how bad football referees are sometimes.

We actually played better after that happened, it got the crowd behind the team that bit more and we had some fantastic chances to win it. Disley, Hughes-Mason and Hearn all had brilliant chances. It just wasn't to be.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.