No Members and 126 Guests

Just back

This thread currently has 4,190 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
March 3, 2012, 9:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from BlackBoots

Crazy comment imo!  In that case why  have a ref, let the assistants take charge

I mean the duty the ref has is fairness i.e. making the right decision taking into account "fairness" irrespective of technicalities.

Reply: 40 - 44
kevikov
March 3, 2012, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +850
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not entirely certain (and my memory may be playing tricks on me), but I thought that the pass was a sideways one which Disley then deflected. It was just very unlucky that the ball went straight to their striker who was unmarked (because he was offside) and they had another player nearby. The defence were way too slow to react after the referee waved play on, however.

That said, I don't think the managers really deserve much in the way of criticism. Despite the fact that most of the players were well below-par, we still created enough chances to win a couple of games and better finishing by a number of players would have given us the points.

We'll need to play much, much, much better against Fleetwood to get anything from the game. Hopefully, we'll have a decent referee as well.

Defo, we had more than enough chances today and with ever so slightly better finishing we'd have three points. It was always going to be a battle, i thought disley and thanoj did ok in there against bigger lads throwing their weight around and the number of more clear cut chances prove we were still the better side and they were blatantly hanging on. I can see why they have picked up a few points thus far and why they haven't been whipped by all and sundry.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
EY Mariner
March 3, 2012, 11:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
The biggest problem we had today was not tactics, but a lack of urgency. We didn't move the ball quickly enough early on and were increasingly sucked into hitting the ball long to feed off Duffy's flicks. That said, we still had more than enough chances to win the game and we got something from it without playing our best. We will need to improve significantly to get anything on Tuesday night, but I reckon we should regard any positive result we might get up there as a bonus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
alvinghammariner
March 3, 2012, 11:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Quoted from barralad

You have to be kidding! Can't argue with the rest though. These tactics got us nowhere early season and seem bizarre considering the way Scott and Hurst have gone about setting out our squad. Every time Duffy (or for that matter Hearn) got the ball today from a hoof they were marked by at least two players with one more in close attendance. I'm not sure very many players playing at this level have the skill to make much out of that.

Braintree (perhaps because they were on their first visit) defended like their lives depended on it (like a lot of teams last season...). The clearance over the bar by their number 5(?) should go a long way to helping him be awarded the freedom of Braintree.  

I think Elding does better with the ball at his feet than Duffy.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
ginnywings
March 4, 2012, 3:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I hate teams like Braintree.Big lumps who have no intention of playing football,but merely disrupt the flow of the game as much as they can to stop the opposition from getting any momentum.

From the moment Townsend got elbowed with no punishment for the offender,they knew they could get away with anything with a weak ref in charge.

We needed to move the ball quickly and use the width but they just kept committing soft fouls,pushes and pulls,with the ref stopping the game constantly while they all piled back and re-grouped.The ref didn't have a clue and was way too whistle happy for the game to flow.

Having said that,we really should have won that game with the chances we had.Just wasn't to be.

Thought KHM should have been on a lot sooner as Soares looked a little lost and slow to react to situations.Maybe match fitness,maybe a bit of nerves,but i think he was on the pitch about 15 mins too long.

Thought their left back was far and away the best player on the pitch and was very quick in thought and deed.Would look great in a Town shirt but i expect Luton will snaffle him.

Very frustrating afternoon and like the York game,not very enjoyable for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.