Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our old friend Fatty Evans.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

Our old friend Fatty Evans.

This thread currently has 4,478 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
February 20, 2012, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
As marinerian said, there's just no comparison. Scott needs to calm it, and he;s the first to admit it. But he's still a young manager.It's only recently that Ferguson has begun giving the BBC after match interviews after he fell out with them. Contractually obliged to give them, he preferred to ignore them and pay a weekly fine. After a few years of this the club got fed up and made him back down. Now that to me is embarrassing, as is Evans behaviour. Scott is hardly the first manager to regularly take the stands as part of a touchline ban. He's also courteous and honest in his appraisal of the opposition.

As I've said before, he needs to keep it in check but right now I'm just relieved to have him( and his behaviour ) and not some old soak, or some member of the management-failure merry go round or the clown in charge of Lincoln.
I never understood the dislike of Buckley, his lack of PR and fan relationship and all that, and I'd estimate that Scott's detractors number a lot less than the Buckley bashers. We're on the up at last, and it takes some effort right now to find actual things that are not right on the player and management front.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Ipswin
February 20, 2012, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I just get very p!ssed off with the constant attacks on the same people Hughes, Fry, Evans et al all the time.

Why do we dislike these guys so much. Are there no others we could get fixated with?

FFS its a long time since Evans managed one of our local rivals so that can't still be used as an excuse. Perhaps we are jealous of Crawley's progress - I sure wish it was GTFC.

As for 'evading' paying HMRC, GTFC 'avoided' paying HMRC the PAYE they had collected for some time too, resulting in the big tax bill we had to pay off. The difference is we p!ssed our avoided tax down the drain winning relegations with poor signings and even worse managers while Boston used it to buy promotion to the Football League

Leave the poor fat tvvat alone.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
Bullitt
February 20, 2012, 5:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin
I just get very p!ssed off with the constant attacks on the same people Hughes, Fry, Evans et al all the time.

Why do we dislike these guys so much. Are there no others we could get fixated with?

FFS its a long time since Evans managed one of our local rivals so that can't still be used as an excuse. Perhaps we are jealous of Crawley's progress - I sure wish it was GTFC.

As for 'evading' paying HMRC, GTFC 'avoided' paying HMRC the PAYE they had collected for some time too, resulting in the big tax bill we had to pay off. The difference is we p!ssed our avoided tax down the drain winning relegations with poor signings and even worse managers while Boston used it to buy promotion to the Football League

"AAAARRREEE YOU EVANS IN DISGUISE? AAAARE YOU EVANS IN DISGUIIIISSSEEE!"
Reply: 22 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 20, 2012, 5:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

There was the small matter of paying star signings low wages that were bumped up by remarkable high "expenses". The whole management of the club was in on it at the time and no-one can think that Evans was not party to this little charade.

He is a good manager. He gets the best out of players, spends wisely and he knows his stuff in the lower leagues. That doesn't give him to right to constantly mouth off at other managers, players and officials though, which he does to seek unfair advantage. Many will remember Barry Fry was very similar in his younger days at Barnet.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
HarryTheHaddock
February 20, 2012, 6:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
This article sums up why so many people hate Evans:
"the club was found guilty by an FA disciplinary committee of systematically lodging false contracts for players. The ploy was a simple one. Players signed contracts that were worth a fraction of the value of what they were being paid.
Ken Charlery was recorded as being paid £120 per week when he was actually being paid £620 per week and had received a £16,000 signing on fee for the club, against which no tax had been paid. In another, the former Liverpool defender Mike Marsh was contracted as being paid £100 per week when he was actually earning £1,000 per week. The difference was paid through “expenses”, against which no tax was payable".

Evans even "facilitated a payment of £8,000 to a witness to attempt to mislead, impede and frustrate” the FA’s enquiry into the scam".

Town never illegally avoided paying their tax. As for Evans, he's a total bent crook and should have been banned for life from football management!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Ipswin
February 20, 2012, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 2075

"AAAARRREEE YOU EVANS IN DISGUISE? AAAARE YOU EVANS IN DISGUIIIISSSEEE!"

Fat yes, Scottish - never!

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Ipswin
February 20, 2012, 6:54pm
Vodka Drinker

There was the small matter of paying star signings low wages that were bumped up by remarkable high "expenses". The whole management of the club was in on it at the time and no-one can think that Evans was not party to this little charade.

So the club broke the rules and he must have known about it - so what?

Is that a reason to continue to dsilike the man years afterwards or are we just p!ssed off that we didn't think of it / couldn't afford to do it

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
HarryTheHaddock
February 20, 2012, 7:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from Ipswin

So the club broke the rules and he must have known about it - so what?

Is that a reason to continue to dsilike the man years afterwards or are we just p!ssed off that we didn't think of it / couldn't afford to do it

Yes...simples!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
bostonian
February 20, 2012, 7:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Ipswin has clearly not followed Evans career like most on this thread.    To repeat the summing up by Graham Bean FA Investigator,  Evans was the common denominator to all that whent wroung in what should have been Bostons hour of glory.
As for Evans wise spending ,  what financial position did he leave his former clubs Holbeach and Stamford in ?
Here at Boston his claims made about fees received for sold players amount to £500K income .
Yet when he left we were £3.5millon in debt.  plus the high court ruled that we underpaid tax.
All this adds up to the fact during his time at Boston we got though in excess of £4millon .
When he came to Boston we were in the what is now the southern league , when he left thanks to him and his cronies we were effectively demoted to the Unibond , the same level as when he first arrived.    All this at the cost of £4millon .
A man who bought shame to BUFC and football and showed no remorse to the people of Boston for the mess he left the club in .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Ipswin
February 20, 2012, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
I have to say I have better things to do than follow the career of a previously unknown lower league manager.

As far as Boston's 'hour of glory' is concerned, however false that 'hour of glory' was it only happened at all because of Evans

Why shouldn't your team be left in the sh!te by an outgoing manager - it's happened at Blundell Park for years

My point is that Grimsby Town fans, who unlike Boston fans have no axe to grind with Evans, seem totally fixated by him. and every time he appears on TV or in the news it spawns another vitriolic thread slating him off

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our old friend Fatty Evans.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.