7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
February 12, 2012, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from ska face

The fact that one player's just had an 8-match ban and another's facing a day in court sort of puts that argument to bed...

But was it the right verdict? Impossible to say, too much vested interest from both side, and supporters. I find it odd that Suarez got the ban and yet Evra, who said a similar thing back to Suarez is left alone. It's down to regional dialects, translational semantics, and what is see as being racist. Almost impossible to to sort out, and the courts know it. Hence they punish Suarez for 'insulting' behaviour and the press lead with the much better (more sellable) headline of 'racism'. Far from put to bed for me, but I care little for the Premiership so I await the next batch of fun 'n games from them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
DocTower
February 12, 2012, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from lawsman
All those involved from both sides need to grow up and play football. I am personally sick and tired of the media bringing it up all the time. Suarez served his time and should just move on. Problem in this country, too many foreign players in the game and their temperaments get in the way.

Incidentally contrary to what people believe the premiershite is not the best league in the world,they only pay top money for a lot of average players that wouldn't even get in some of the lesser national teams.

I have not even bothered  watching the football on the television, because you cannot tackle players anymore and when you do they start squealing like pigs and waving their arms about looking for a card. I will continue to watch my beloved Grimsby Town at least in the lower echelons of english football you can still tackle.

Well said , I too am fed up with the lot of them , over paid and over here. When the pulling power of Russia to pay big money starts they'll all be off there . I can't remember the last time I watched a premiership game the whole way through . There was a time when you knew every player in the these so called big teams , not any more . Just flags of all nations draining our own game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
moosey_club
February 12, 2012, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,334
Gold Stars: 229
From the footage shown on MOTD i cant say that i actually saw Suarez move his hand away from a shake, i actually thought his hand was out there but Evra was slow putting his hand out.
Evra was also very aware of the position of the TV cameras as he appealed in the direction of the camera almost instantly.

The whole debacle just convinces me more that top flight football is completely ruined by the intense TV coverage. Instead of more coverage and technology there should be less. Refs and officials can then make genuine mistakes without the instant trial by TV that they endure now when replays are watched by the managers in their dugouts.

There may be a case for TV footage to exist for post match viewing of off the ball incidents or to review refereeing performances but the media scrum around the players handshake yesterday was ridiculous.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 69
MeanwoodMariner
February 12, 2012, 11:03am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 1600

I never said that - I don't even know what happened or who's telling the truth - it may well be true for all I know.

I could quite easily ask you if you think the white coloured individuals involved are liars but I refuse to play the race card and stoop to that level.

But since you mention it, if you really think people must always be telling the truth because they belong to a certain ethnic group, then IMO, you're misguided.  

The colour of those involved shouldn't even be the issue here - finding out the truth and what actually happened REGARDLESS OF THEIR RACE should be.

However given how you've seemingly misrepresented my own view, do you even care about that ?

In my opinion some people just want to turn it into a racial issue regardless of what the facts might be.

Personally I prefer to deal with the facts, not what colour people are.

And if people have decided Terry is a twit and therefore must be guilty then it's no more than prejudice in another form.

You don't half waffle on, kid. Come back when you have the slightest clue about what has happened in any of this ongoing farce.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
MeanwoodMariner
February 12, 2012, 11:19am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
OK, seeing as I've got a bit of time this morning let's do it your way:

Quoted from 1600

I never said that - I don't even know what happened or who's telling the truth - it may well be true for all I know.

It is clear that you have not been following it closely but you opened with "The whole thing is a load of complete and utter b0llocks. Evra makes allegations and the majority are so naive they take it at face value and instantly believe him"
To me this implies that you do not believe him.

Quoted from 1600

I could quite easily ask you if you think the white coloured individuals involved are liars but I refuse to play the race card and stoop to that level.

The colour of skin is completely irrelevant in terms of who I believe. There was a thorough investigation and report. I believe the findings of that.

Quoted from 1600

But since you mention it, if you really think people must always be telling the truth because they belong to a certain ethnic group, then IMO, you're misguided.  

Who in their right mind blindly believes everything one ethic group says? A ridiculous comment.

Quoted from 1600

The colour of those involved shouldn't even be the issue here - finding out the truth and what actually happened REGARDLESS OF THEIR RACE should be.

I completely agree. That's the stance that the FA have taken all along as has everyone with any intelligence.

Quoted from 1600

In my opinion some people just want to turn it into a racial issue regardless of what the facts might be.

But it's a case of racial abuse. Racial abuse is the key fact in this case!

Quoted from 1600

Personally I prefer to deal with the facts, not what colour people are.
Good. That is the correct way to go about this.

Quoted from 1600

And if people have decided Terry is a twit and therefore must be guilty then it's no more than prejudice in another form.

Different case. Not sure why you brought it up.

Not going to comment any more on this excrement. If you have an opinion on it one way or the other is appears you get branded a Liverpool/Manure fan despite the clubs involved being irrelevant in my eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
Super Clive
February 12, 2012, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from bladerunnner

its  probably the same w.a.n.k.e.r.s. we see sat in the pubs around here in various red football shirts,then giving it the royal"WE" when referring to grimsby town

Lol is it you that hasn't told the family that you support town?

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
80sglory
February 12, 2012, 3:08pm
Guest User
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
It is clear that you have not been following it closely but you opened with "The whole thing is a load of complete and utter b0llocks. Evra makes allegations and the majority are so naive they take it at face value and instantly believe him"
To me this implies that you do not believe him.

No I mean the media are all too happy to latch on and blow it up however they so wish - I think Robocod makes some good points about misleading newspaper headlines, but I also doubt if other elements of the media would object cos it serves their "fairness" objective.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for fair play but like I said, look at the game now from banning tackling to being unable to criticize refs the powers that be are strangling the game (especially at the top level) IMO.  
Is that really what you'd call "fairness" ?...

I also think old/newfootballer is right these pre-match handshakes routines are uneccessary - the FA etc want to promote the impression of sportmanship etc but when it backfires they don't like it cos it quashes the myth (they're so keen to push) that everything in football is always perfect.
And because it reflects poorly on themselves - had they not introduced it there wouldn't be these issues.

Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Not going to comment any more on this excrement. If you have an opinion on it one way or the other is appears you get branded a Liverpool/Manure fan despite the clubs involved being irrelevant in my eyes.

I'm with you on this one but just on this point I wouldn't be suprised if there's big needle between Fergie and Kenny over this.

Whilst Suarez was out of order,  like others I'm not convinced Evra fully offered his hand either and the fact he saw fit to throw a paddy first off makes you wonder if he was landing the first blow (so to speak) to make himself look squeaky clean.

So managers, players all as bad as each other but worst of the lot the media and the powers that be IMO.
Reply: 66 - 69
Helgy
February 12, 2012, 3:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Stories from the 70's make this look like playground stuff and thats what it is and then you realise how trivial everything has become.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
Mariner Ronnie
February 12, 2012, 8:20pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419644_10150601883029589_849249588_8725692_1227252229_n.jpg[/img]

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
voice of reason
February 12, 2012, 8:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419644_10150601883029589_849249588_8725692_1227252229_n.jpg[/img]

Nice ronnie, I like it...  

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fisticuffs in the Tunnel at OT

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.