Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play-offs certainly possible!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 70 Guests

Play-offs certainly possible!

This thread currently has 2,138 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 1, 2012, 8:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,935
Gold Stars: 42
I thought that there was too much ground to make up on a lot of teams in too short a time.  Maybe there is.

Things are going our way though.  When the dust settles from today we have injuries and suspensions. However, we have a game in hand and are 8 points behind York in 5th place.  York like Kidderminster in 6th,  only got a point today with last minute equalisers.  

Gavin Walker, a great player for York,  is still injured.  They have lost their way without him. No heavy pitches yet to inhibit their passing football.

Southport are in 4th place. We have a game in hand.  I thought Southport were too far in front.  A 6-0 home defeat today will do wonders for their confidence!     Their goal difference is minus 2.  Not promotion form and worth a point to us.  Somebody said that one "small team" falls away badly each season.

We have to play all our 3 key rivals at home.  York (11 Feb), Kidderminster (31 March) and Southport (last game of season 28 Apr).

These 3 absolutely critical must win home games should be targetted widely by the club as "must attend games with reduced admission".   With support similar today the 12th man can make all the difference.

Win the game in hand of York, beat York and make up 3 other points over 19 games and we will finish above York.  Go for Southport and Kidderminster as well. We are in the top half of the table now. We can "see"the teams to beat. Gather momentum and space for the last 20 games.

Scott said today that fitness (good pre-season training) will make a difference in Dec-Feb.  Also confidence is a critical factor in any team.  The players are working together more as a team and have a better understanding (eg Hearn and Elding).  Also helps to bring in very good, experienced players like Miller.  Particularly, when we have a very youthful defence.  Townsend here for the season is a good decision and promotes consistency and a settles defence.

I was very doubtful of making the play-offs.  We can still play better so why not crack on? Key teams above us are not pulling away.  We are already closing - 4 points on York in less than a week.  60 points to play for.   All 3 rivals to experience the atmosphere at Blundell Park.

We all need to believe.  Fans, players,managers and the club.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
bradzmilne
January 1, 2012, 8:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,437
Gold Stars: 30
Just take it a game at a time, Lets not get over excited. At the minute we have to rely on other teams slipping up and us keeping this fine form together, can we do that for the majority of the season?
Well i guess stranger things have happened but i cant see it myself, lets just prepare to be in a great position for next year. Any higher than 10th is a bonus. Dont mean to be a killjoy but just cant see it this year, but who knows. Lets continue to kick on anyway! UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
Paris Mariner
January 1, 2012, 8:30pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
It is possible though. Believe. 3 pointsneeded on Saturday to have any possible chance.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 20
upthestripes
January 1, 2012, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Great post mate, but I'll be honest I don't think we should get too carried away on the idea of the POs. It's still a long shot.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
psgmariner
January 1, 2012, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I thought that there was too much ground to make up on a lot of teams in too short a time.  Maybe there is.

Things are going our way though.  When the dust settles from today we have injuries and suspensions. However, we have a game in hand and are 8 points behind York in 5th place.  York like Kidderminster in 6th,  only got a point today with last minute equalisers.  

Gavin Walker, a great player for York,  is still injured.  They have lost their way without him. No heavy pitches yet to inhibit their passing football.

Southport are in 4th place. We have a game in hand.  I thought Southport were too far in front.  A 6-0 home defeat today will do wonders for their confidence!     Their goal difference is minus 2.  Not promotion form and worth a point to us.  Somebody said that one "small team" falls away badly each season.

We have to play all our 3 key rivals at home.  York (11 Feb), Kidderminster (31 March) and Southport (last game of season 28 Apr).

These 3 absolutely critical must win home games should be targetted widely by the club as "must attend games with reduced admission".   With support similar today the 12th man can make all the difference.

Win the game in hand of York, beat York and make up 3 other points over 19 games and we will finish above York.  Go for Southport and Kidderminster as well. We are in the top half of the table now. We can "see"the teams to beat. Gather momentum and space for the last 20 games.

Scott said today that fitness (good pre-season training) will make a difference in Dec-Feb.  Also confidence is a critical factor in any team.  The players are working together more as a team and have a better understanding (eg Hearn and Elding).  Also helps to bring in very good, experienced players like Miller.  Particularly, when we have a very youthful defence.  Townsend here for the season is a good decision and promotes consistency and a settles defence.

I was very doubtful of making the play-offs.  We can still play better so why not crack on? Key teams above us are not pulling away.  We are already closing - 4 points on York in less than a week.  60 points to play for.   All 3 rivals to experience the atmosphere at Blundell Park.

We all need to believe.  Fans, players,managers and the club.  

Great post.

Fully agree. I had written off the chance of playoffs but am now starting to believe.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
bradzmilne
January 1, 2012, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,437
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Paris Mariner
It is possible though. Believe. 3 pointsneeded on Saturday to have any possible chance.

Yeah i do agree with the point it is possible, but every game from now to the end of the season would be a cup final. Id love to sit here say how in the second half of the season we will win the majority of games (Which needs to happen now) and we will secure a play off place but i dont think the team is ready. Regardless to any of that it is still possible, so until the day it isnt BELIEVE. UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Abdul19
January 1, 2012, 8:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 220
We still have to go to Fleetwood, Luton and Wrexham, as well as those games mentioned above.

We're on a good run, and we're obviously improving, but until we start performing well against the better sides I can't see us making it.

I'd be surprised if we didn't better last season's 11th place though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Rick12
January 1, 2012, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
looking at the table it certainly is possible    hope we do it

UTM

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Fishfinger
January 1, 2012, 9:07pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
Quoted from Abdul19
We still have to go to Fleetwood, Luton and Wrexham, as well as those games mentioned above.

We're on a good run, and we're obviously improving, but until we start performing well against the better sides I can't see us making it.

I'd be surprised if we didn't better last season's 11th place though.

Good point there. We still do have quite a few tough games to play but you can't predict anything in football. Let's hope we can keep this run of form going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
January 1, 2012, 9:07pm
Guest User
Come on lets believe we can do it, if we support them like we did today we will defo make it !!
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play-offs certainly possible!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.