Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from connorGTFC
[quote=75]I'd like Rob Duffy to leave
he always gives 110 %, and he scores

Impossible and he's not scored in his last 13 league games.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
I believe in Cod
December 28, 2011, 12:14am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Quoted from Gtfc grassroots
I think we need a small striker with a bit of pace and flair someone we can bring on to impact a game.

Someone like Liam Hearn, plays for Alfreton, was their top scorer last season... oh wait

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
I believe in Cod
December 28, 2011, 12:26am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
We definitely need a centre half, whether it's Antwi, I don't know, there's also Ian Miller, who is a free agent, although I think we'd do well to sign him. We need experience at the back, Antwi brought that, and look how much we improved, the other 3 benefited no end from his organisation skills.

Other than that I'd like to see one or two come in midfield, probably a tough tackling centre mid, someone who does a similar job to panther, if he goes back to Aldershot, maybe a little more effectively or tidily, although I think second half at Lincoln was probably the best passage of play he's had for us, he was very good. I am a big fan of Frankie though and also Thanoj, so I'd be more than happy for one of those to sit in there, and to be fair Church could not be faulted for his efforts, he may come back a much tidier player from his stint on loan.

I'd love to see a decent winger, I love Coulson, he's a good player and probably one of my favorites but, it would be nice to see us bring in a proper winger, somebody with some flair, someone who can change a game, Mc Carthy just hasnt shown enough for me. Jamie Green was very impressive against Stockport, just a shame he's injured  

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
davmariner
December 28, 2011, 1:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,974
Gold Stars: 79
I wonder why Church didn't play for Alfreton the other day?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
80sglory
December 28, 2011, 3:45am
Guest User
Very disappointed this thread is virtually wall to wall unfair "I'm gonna slag a player off cos he's not in the team" b0llocks.
Please stop trying to convince us it proves something when it doesn't prove anything at all !  

Quoted from Abdul19
Impossible and he's not scored in his last 13 league games.

Ignors the fact he's scored 2 in the FA Cup weeks ago and hasn't started the last SIX league matches.
If you're gonna rely on a bunch of stats at least play the game fair Abdul, that's well misleading !...  

Quoted from 75
I remember chuckling when he tried to control the ball. I think its fair to say S and H got this one wrong.

Maybe so but Elding wasn't fully match fit earlier in pre-season and had the first touch of an elephant himself in ALL his pre-season games too.
I didn't write him off but others did, my point is, circumstances can change and every player has something different to offer.
Are we completely sure Spencer wouldn't improve (barely seen him play anyway tbh) with games himself ?
I'm not !

Let's look at the REALITY here, several players haven't really been in the managers thinking yet at various points they've mostly ALL come in and done very well - yes Garner, Artus then go back further it's Duffy, Makofo (prime examples from last season !) Elding, I'Anson and Pearson.

The latter did well on his Vale return - all the evidence also supports any theory that some players who are "fresher" sometimes do better.

What I'm saying is, given all what's happened this season, fans shouldn't be so quick to slag off their own players off as failures, especially if thev're out of the team with zero opportunity to prove their worth.  

And we think managers are like gods who can never get anything wrong ?!  
Let's face facts - if S&H were perfect at picking the "best" players every time they'd have already found the best starting XI within 2-3 months of arrival, not still be tinkering about with personnel now....

That's not even having a go at S&H, it's just the harsh reality of making tough (often borderline) team choices, they've fully admitted themselves it takes time to build something...

And whilst there's a positive side of what can happen when you DO change things around (maybe their comments helped keep players like Garner on their toes), I just think far too many fans take the most easy thinking "follow the club cos they must know best" option, some appear like they're incapable of forming any of their OWN opinions.

Prime examples are:
- when Church went on loan - some were all too hasty to start adding 2 and 2 together to start slagging and writing him off.
- when Silk got picked ahead of Wood - suddenly everyone was a Silk fan and the Bradley Woods doubters sprang up, ffs it's so obvious how swayed, fickle or "pro club" (it's "negative club" when it's the wrong choice !) some people really are !  

As I've said, we all know exactly what would have happened if I'Anson hadn't been given any chance to get back in and been released.
We'd have been faced with a bunch of self deluded n0bs celebrating his cancelled contract like they knew best.
When in reality it would have been based on bugga all except "Well he must have been rubbish then"...

Personally, I'll judge players on what I SEE when they're given the chance, not on a bunch of dodgy stats, dangerous assumptions or worse, unfounded "off the field" rumours !  
Reply: 24 - 50
Youngy
December 28, 2011, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
What we have to be wary off as well is breaking up a winning team.

I remember Slade bringing in Ben Futcher, Junior Mendes and Curtis Woodhouse when we was sat in the automatic promotion places and looking like we were going to go up. Toner got dropped for Woodhouse and whilst you would argue that Woodhouse was a better footballer, it broke up a team that was winning and IMO disrupted the way we played and ultimately because we had to readjust we went backwards for several weeks and lost out in promotion.

I agree that we need a center back if Antwi is not staying and possible a left sided midfielder but I honestly don't think we need to make drastic changes. If Church comes back then I'm happy with him and Panther competing for the spot to partner Disley. Panther is part of a winning team so why would you not keep him?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
acko338
December 28, 2011, 11:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Does anyone know if Ex - Darlington's Miller has been considered as a new centre half ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
Mariners_15
December 28, 2011, 11:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Antwi permanent!
Another centre half- Ian Miller (former Darlo)
Centre Mid
Left Mid

Get rid of Spencer and bring a striker in on loan maybe?
McCarthey gone and Townsend in till the end of the season...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
Harlem mariner
December 28, 2011, 11:19am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Lincolns number 8 power looked decent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
ticker_1610
December 28, 2011, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
If Lincoln sold him they would really be in the mire. He's their driving force. Can't remember him being as good elsewhere tho, um probably wrong on that tho. But yes he looked as good as I've seen in the conf this year!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Targets in Jan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.