Reply: 10 - 26
RoboCod
September 20, 2011, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Chris

He takes each and every comment far too personally in my opinion. He should care less about the loudest voices in my opinion and stick more to the bigger picture, have patience and give things time. For this, read Alan Buckley and Neil Wooods, both of whom were sacked too early, largely because a few fans got grumpy on message boards.

Both of whom shouldn't have been appointed in the first place. We'd been needing a fresh appointment, something to break the old club connections for a while but gave Buckley a 3rd chance which, while worth a gamble if none of the other potential managers were standing out, didn't work out.
The Woods appointment was ridiculous and IF Fenty really does become influenced by 'grumpy fans' then he should have had his ear to the ground when considering Neil Woods as potential manager. He'd have heard an almost resounding groan.

Don't get me started on Newell. A little research there would maybe have averted his disastrous appointment, instead of what looks like a cherry-picking of his managerial stats.
Whether it was John Fenty or The Board with John Fenty, the management decisions have been the worst possible and lead us to where we are now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Chris
September 20, 2011, 12:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Gave Buckley a "third chance"?? You're having a laugh aren't you? More like he gave US Another chance! He should never have been sacked from his second appointment here!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
DavidB
September 20, 2011, 12:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Quoted from Chris

He takes each and every comment far too personally in my opinion. He should care less about the loudest voices in my opinion and stick more to the bigger picture, have patience and give things time. For this, read Alan Buckley and Neil Wooods, both of whom were sacked too early, largely because a few fans got grumpy on message boards.

Spot on, Chris!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
moosey_club
September 20, 2011, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Who actually knows ?

Who here actually dealt with JF in his role as Chairman and is privvy, first hand, to the ongoing running of the football club?

To lay blame, pick fault , character assassinate without any kind of actual knowledge is futile.

Manager selection / removal - board decision not one individual
Playing Budget - board decision not one individual

There are hundreds of things that people will aim at JF as its convenient to do so but they or i dont really know the truth behind our individual gripes.

I for one would only raise one thing from what i can assess of the man, and this is hardly a fault as such,  and that is that he is probably is too much of a fan and too accessible to fans which has perhaps got in the way and detracted from the day to day business.

The new ground business seemed to be a personal crusade for him and rightly so for all the economic reasons he has previously quoted but the financial outlay on that and dedicated time, which now appears wasted, (hindsight again), maybe could have gone elsewhere but who could foretell the credit crunch, double dip recession etc that has prevented that going forward. At least he tried to get it unlike every other board and chairman since 1989 when i think it was first muted.

Reflect on this especially following recent dispatches programme regarding ownership;

we know who he is
we know who we owe our debt (benign...if he keeps to his word) to
he is visible
you can e-mail him and he will reply
he climbs ladders to fix tannoys when its blowing a gale (ridiculous but hey, a mark of how much he cares)
he lifted the ban on thermos flasks (just for Icey that one)
in personal dealings with him regards using BP for charity games he has been approachable, extremely generous and helpful

and i dont believe he has made one single decision that he did not think was in the better interests of the clubs overall survival.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
RoboCod
September 20, 2011, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chris
Gave Buckley a "third chance"?? You're having a laugh aren't you? More like he gave US Another chance! He should never have been sacked from his second appointment here!!

Maybe the initial sacking was wrong but his third stint was a tired and much less energetic Alan Buckley, the appalling winless run under him was testament to that. Phrase it how you want, but we gave him a 3rd chance when we should have been looking further afield and breaking out of the former employee/promotion from within mentality.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Chris
September 20, 2011, 12:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Grimsby Town approached Alan Buckley, not the other way around. And an appalling winless run was side by side with a fantastic unbeaten run, which saw us as high as 9th and yet another Wembley appearence. This was also the last year Town mad a profit! Buckley worked with what he had and didnt demand a massive budget. Anyway, old arguments. My point stands. Fenty listens to the fans way too much, I've told him this and he denied it, so he agrees with you apparently which still doesnt make the tiniest bit of difference to me because I didnt believe him when he said it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Chris
September 20, 2011, 12:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Who actually knows ?

Who here actually dealt with JF in his role as Chairman and is privvy, first hand, to the ongoing running of the football club?

To lay blame, pick fault , character assassinate without any kind of actual knowledge is futile.

There are hundreds of things that people will aim at JF as its convenient to do so but they or i dont really know the truth behind our individual gripes.

I for one would only raise one thing from what i can assess of the man, and this is hardly a fault as such,  and that is that he is probably is too much of a fan and too accessible to fans which has perhaps got in the way and detracted from the day to day business.

The new ground business seemed to be a personal crusade for him and rightly so for all the economic reasons he has previously quoted but the financial outlay on that and dedicated time, which now appears wasted, (hindsight again), maybe could have gone elsewhere but who could foretell the credit crunch, double dip recession etc that has prevented that going forward. At least he tried to get it unlike every other board and chairman since 1989 when i think it was first muted.

Reflect on this especially following recent dispatches programme regarding ownership;

we know who he is
he is visible
he climbs ladders to fix tannoys when its blowing a gale (ridiculous but hey, a mark of how much he cares)
in personal dealings with him regards using BP for charity games he has been approachable, extremely generous and helpful

and i dont believe he has made one single decision that he did not think was in the better interests of the clubs overall survival.

Top post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Biccys
September 20, 2011, 12:29pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from moosey_club
Who actually knows ?

we know who he is
he is visible

Top post. Yes he has been a failure, but for all the reasons above, I'm grateful to him for keeping us in business. Yes, we're in a crumbling ground, yes we're pissing away £1m a year on wages, but up to now, that's mainly come out of HIS pocket. If he hadn't put his hand in there, who knows where we'd be? Nobody does. I know we have a club to go to, for now, and if we do go pop, it will now be in spite of JF, not because of him.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 26
RoboCod
September 20, 2011, 12:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chris
Grimsby Town approached Alan Buckley, not the other way around. And an appalling winless run was side by side with a fantastic unbeaten run, which saw us as high as 9th and yet another Wembley appearence. This was also the last year Town mad a profit! Buckley worked with what he had and didnt demand a massive budget. Anyway, old arguments. My point stands. Fenty listens to the fans way too much, I've told him this and he denied it, so he agrees with you apparently which still doesnt make the tiniest bit of difference to me because I didnt believe him when he said it.

I'm actually agreeing, up to a point. Perhaps he listens only when it's something he has already made his mind up on, but seeks a little back up to make him more comfortable with the decision ? But if he takes on the views of the fans when sacking someone , he doesn't seem to employ the same method of gathering such views when taking them on in the first place, e.g Woodsy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty's Faults

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.