Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3 wins on the bounce?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 130 Guests

3 wins on the bounce?

This thread currently has 3,423 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
September 15, 2011, 10:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Abdul19
McKeown didn't make a save at FGR did he? From what I remember it was a most un-GTFC-like comfortable win.

Well that might be pushing it a bit but it certainly wasn't "backs to the wall". It was one of those games like we've been on the other end of countless times over the last few years. The away team scores and then takes control. FGR didn't possess the necessary guile to break us down...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
barralad
September 15, 2011, 10:21pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Abdul19

Yep, 8 wins from the first 12. Peterborough away was backs to the wall!

Only 1 win in the final 11 though, so something went wrong. (Signing Ben Futcher probably didn't help)

From memory our away form was spectacularly good early season but we lost at home to the teams around us at the top-Leyton Orient and Wycombe. Come the end it was the other way round. I think we played Cheltenham on a Friday night very late season and beat them 1-0.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
mariner91
September 15, 2011, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,731
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from barralad

From memory our away form was spectacularly good early season but we lost at home to the teams around us at the top-Leyton Orient and Wycombe. Come the end it was the other way round. I think we played Cheltenham on a Friday night very late season and beat them 1-0.

Beat them 3-0 I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
mariner91
September 15, 2011, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,731
Gold Stars: 262
Scrap that, you were right Barra.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
barralad
September 15, 2011, 10:45pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from mariner91
Scrap that, you were right Barra.

3-0 away though....night match again.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
80sglory
September 15, 2011, 11:02pm
Guest User
If not backs to the wall (which suggests frantic last gasp defending) then shut up shop - take your pick.

All I'm saying is if we could win convincingly then confidence would be sky high and we'd have real momentum and little to fear home or away - who would frighten us except the very best teams ?

Would I take 3 points from a gritty defensive display ?
Of course I would but I'm ambitious and greedy - I want us to kick on further and try to win the league.

If we go in with a fearless attitude and get beat then we get beat but I don't see we've got too much to lose.  

Worse case scenario we fall behind let our heads drop and get stuffed again - well in that case maybe it's best we know that there are attitude problems that need addressing asap.

So regardless of the result I just can't see how we can't gain long term if we go there positive.

If we're expecting to win every game then we should have a word with ourselves but as we all know, 1 win and 2 defeats is just the same as 3 draws and we've had plenty of those in recent years.

Interesting facts...

- Apart from the Histon crushing on the back of the Mansfield one, the only games we managed to win by 2 clear goals away from home last season were both under S&H - Mansfield and Barrow towards the back end of last season.

- In our relegation season, we went 15 games without a league win away from home (including 4 successive 0-0's !) until we won 3 successive away games vs Accrington, Hereford and Darlington (before losing to Burton on final day).
Reply: 25 - 33
we will return
September 15, 2011, 11:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from 1600

Interesting facts...

- Apart from the Histon crushing on the back of the Mansfield one, the only games we managed to win by 2 clear goals away from home last season were both under S&H - Mansfield and Barrow towards the back end of last season.

3-0 away at Hayes  

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
80sglory
September 15, 2011, 11:40pm
Guest User
Well spotted, just testing !  
Reply: 27 - 33
ross1cod
September 16, 2011, 7:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -1
Quoted from barralad

3-0 away though....night match again.

i remember that one... i put 50quid on town to win   sweeeeeet!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
sutton mariner
September 16, 2011, 7:22am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
I had a Tenner on 7 or more goals at histon, to say I cheered when eagle scored was an understatement.

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3 wins on the bounce?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.