This thread currently has 3,141 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
upthestripes
August 14, 2011, 5:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
I mentioned on another thread but Spencer (I think) was pushed in the back and I couldn't believe there was no peno for that.
If we'd been given it (as we fecking should've) and scrored I think the game would've ended 1-1 as I think we'd have settled for just not being beaten and wouldn't have put ourselves in a position to get sucker punched as we were for the second.
If it'd been 1-1 I'm guessing we wouldn't have been half as terrible as so many seem to be saying
We were alright and played some good stuff at times but didn't have enough in attack in the end. And Fleetwood didn't look much at all imo. To suggest that we were so far apart is just nonsense imo there wasn't much between us at all.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Les Brechin
August 14, 2011, 6:00pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariners_15
Maybe fantastic was over the top but we certainly were better than Fleetwood...

I'm afraid if you think we were better than Fleetwood you must be seriously deluded.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Abdul19
August 14, 2011, 6:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Mariners_15
......we certainly were better than Fleetwood...

I know everyone has a right to an opinion, but that is bonkers.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
ginnywings
August 14, 2011, 7:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I thought we were very poor and certainly no better than any of the dross i've seen for the last 5 seasons.In fact it was the same old same old.New managers again,new players again,absolutely toothless and predictable again.

We were lightweight in midfield yet again and second to everything.This is a perennial ongoing problem it seems at this club.I really can't fathom how the Fleetwoods of this world can consistently find better players than us and use them more effectively.The only real threat we had was Makofo,a player so unpredictable that he doesn't seem to have a clue what he is doing.The bottom line with him though is no end product.Mangan showed how to do it by scoring what was effectively the winning goal.

I'm getting really bored with Town now.The start of every season is a deja vu of the previous one.

I had a barbie last night and there was a lot of Town fans there.Some of them had stopped going last season at various stages but were all back for the big kick off yesterday.Already 3 or 4 of those have said they won't be back as nothing ever changes and despite having one of the best budgets and followings in the BSP,we consistently look very average.

The sad part for me is that i care less and less with every passing game and season.

There will be some who now say that its only the first game,it's a new team,we need time to gel and all those other platitudes i have heard over and over again but i am sick of us losing consistently to teams that have no fan base like Crawley and Fleetwood,who have now turned us over 3 times.I usually feel better the next day after a defeat and look at the positives but today i feel the same indifference as i did yesterday and wondering if it is really worth going anymore to just sit and be bored rigid by pointless ineffective football played by fat meatheads.

Football used to be exciting,even in defeat,there would be moments that brought you off your seat,but all i see now is "footballers" who only have one thought in their mind.Boot the ball as far upfield as possible and hope for the best.

Very disappointed yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
rancido
August 14, 2011, 7:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,662
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from STB
Fleetwood looked like 4/1 (joint) favourites for the title, we looked like 20/1 also rans - bookies are usually pretty accurate, I saw nothing yesterday to disagree with that.

I thought you had stopped going to BP ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Mariners_15
August 14, 2011, 8:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'm afraid if you think we were better than Fleetwood you must be seriously deluded.

You thought Fleetwood were better than Town? First 20 minutes...maybe, as for the second half, it was all in there half...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
August 14, 2011, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,803
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from ginnywings
I thought we were very poor and certainly no better than any of the dross i've seen for the last 5 seasons.In fact it was the same old same old.New managers again,new players again,absolutely toothless and predictable again.

We were lightweight in midfield yet again and second to everything.This is a perennial ongoing problem it seems at this club.I really can't fathom how the Fleetwoods of this world can consistently find better players than us and use them more effectively.The only real threat we had was Makofo,a player so unpredictable that he doesn't seem to have a clue what he is doing.The bottom line with him though is no end product.Mangan showed how to do it by scoring what was effectively the winning goal.

I'm getting really bored with Town now.The start of every season is a deja vu of the previous one.

I had a barbie last night and there was a lot of Town fans there.Some of them had stopped going last season at various stages but were all back for the big kick off yesterday.Already 3 or 4 of those have said they won't be back as nothing ever changes and despite having one of the best budgets and followings in the BSP,we consistently look very average.

The sad part for me is that i care less and less with every passing game and season.

There will be some who now say that its only the first game,it's a new team,we need time to gel and all those other platitudes i have heard over and over again but i am sick of us losing consistently to teams that have no fan base like Crawley and Fleetwood,who have now turned us over 3 times.I usually feel better the next day after a defeat and look at the positives but today i feel the same indifference as i did yesterday and wondering if it is really worth going anymore to just sit and be bored rigid by pointless ineffective football played by fat meatheads.

Football used to be exciting,even in defeat,there would be moments that brought you off your seat,but all i see now is "footballers" who only have one thought in their mind.Boot the ball as far upfield as possible and hope for the best.

Very disappointed yet again.

This post sums up perfectly how I feel too.

It just seems we are all in a bad dream,that keeps coming back time and time again.

I am beginning to wonder if our time as one of footballs most respected clubs really has gone for good, and we are in a downward spiral that is set to continue for some time.

I know its only one game,of course I do,but I didn't see anything at all to make me think we have a chance of fighting for the title,which has surely got to be the aim hasn't it?

Yeah Hearne will probably score a few goals,and Disley looks a reasonable footballer,but no true wingers and not really a good enough central midfielder to partner Disley (even Church when fit isn't blessed with technical ability) and I think we will be like last season - in the top half for sure but always a little behind the leading contenders.

The other thing I was surprised about yesterday was the lack of the much vaunted energy and passion and superior fitness to try to give teams a game - neither was there any leaders on the pitch which again surprised me after all the talk about it.

You never know,we might go on a hell of a run and make us eat our words,and I certainly hope we do.BUT,usually there is something about a team  which gives out good vibes and I didn't get any yesterday.

I guess the bottom line is we haven't signed enough quality footballers for years now,and when we have there hasnt been enough of them in the one team!

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
Eastendmariner
August 14, 2011, 9:44pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Well I was at the game and a 400 mile round trip and I have say DISAPPOINTED IS THE WORD I WOULD use. I thought we totally lacked any real quality in and around the box. To be Honest could not see were a goal was going to come from.. defended well in patches but no real pattern from Town and As for Fleetwoods antics they realised getting physical was the answer. Once thay scored that was it. The ref didn't want to know.. and the lino as usual stared at his feet !

We need to toughen up (FRONT LINE) and come up with a real game plan OF HOW TO BREAK DOWN A ROUGH AND READY DEFENCE..

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Mariners_15
August 14, 2011, 9:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
But yeah, I'm completely joking around people, let's just all give up hope after 1 game against the favorites...

Suppose that's why where we are, no patience or understanding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Welwynmariner
August 14, 2011, 10:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
I seriously wish we would, on principle, give the youth team players a decent run. Josh Fuller was supposed to be decent. Peat looked OK, and Tom Corner was decent enough for the Conference.

We've invested too much in over-paid mercenaries who turn out not to be match fit, or half crocked, or who have no desire to live in the town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A few things to discuss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.