Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Town Memory?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 23 Guests

Best Town Memory?

This thread currently has 7,851 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Reverendmariner
February 9, 2011, 8:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
The whole Wembley day against Bournemouth. Also Cov City away in the FA Cup (1969?). BP was my football experience up until then and I'd never seen so many people at a football match. I was enthralled even tho we lost 1-0 to a dodgy penalty scored by Grimsby-born Mick Coop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
bob
February 9, 2011, 8:54pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
its got to be wembley first time round for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
hertfordshire mariner
February 9, 2011, 9:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from oldludensian
At home v Scunny circa 1990 Tuesday night game. 11 000+. They scored first and we scored twice in last 20 or so mins. I was in the ponny and still a schoolboy but the comaradary (sp) I felt that night as the goals went in lives with me to this day. Absolutely fanatastic night going completely mental with everyone else when we scored, jumping all over random people and being transported several rows in the process. Remember being totally out of breath, but having a massive smile on my face after each goal was scored such was the celebrations. Brilliant night that I'll never forget. Don't think I'll ever feel that way again about Town. Wembleys were good but this was the one stand out moment for me.

i have some fond memory of that era, was also a school kid at this time and totaly agree with this. spurs at home in 91 sticks out, never seen the ponny so rammed, except against Newcastle maybe the year we had put there million game winning streak to a end at st james park, was it jim dobin that scored?

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
spacejunk1
February 9, 2011, 10:11pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
yes Jim Dobbins goal at newcastle its on the the end of a winning streak vidio / dvd whatever owned by all newcastle fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
TWAreaTownSupporter
February 9, 2011, 11:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
The first Wembley game was just pure bliss (even the wobbly spell when Bournemouth scored). Choked when I saw that sweep of black and white stretch all around from Royal Box, round the end and a fair way up the other side.

But the other memory that sticks out now is my first ever game, surrounded by what seemed like a massive crowd. It probably just seemed that way cos I was surrounded by adults as I didn't want to go and stand by the fence with all the other kids. A real ding dong game which Town won 4-3 against Donny in what must have been the League Cup in 1971. A great way to catch the bug.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
barralad
February 10, 2011, 9:25am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
In no particular order:

Town 3 Exeter 0 (71/72 Championship clincher)

Town 1 WBA 0  (95? Bonetti's goal in what was supposed to be his last game for us)

Liverpool 1 Town 2 (2001)

Wimbledon 3 Town 6 (1980) On the way home BBC Radio called us the Liverpool of Division 3)

Town 3 Barnsley 2 (Good Friday game circa 82. Town 2-0 down inside about 25 minutes)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
Madeleymariner
February 10, 2011, 5:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
Everton away with it being virtually last minute winner and then walking past the dozens of coaches lined up outside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
Liam94
February 10, 2011, 6:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
the first match i went to i was sat in the upper. town was 1-0 against and ended up winning 3-1, fell in love with the club from that day. spurs in the cup and the 6-5 vs burnley were brilliant as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
mothafunda
February 10, 2011, 8:39pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
seeing menno willems and terry cooke in gullies 2001

willems was smoking and terry cooke just stood texting all night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
FishOutOfWater
February 11, 2011, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Chelsea 2 Town 3 Dec '83

After being locked in the basement of M&S in Oxford Street due to a bomb scare (Harrod's actually was bombed) I came out to try and get the tube to Fulham Broadway and due to many lines also being closed because of these threats got to the game just as it was kicking off

I couldn't get in the Town end behind the goal so had to go in the side stand with the Chelsea and of course them going 2-0 up I had to ask why I had bothered struggling to get there

But the outcome when we got three back and played them off the pitch has to be one of the best feelings ever watching Town.....to say I was bursting with pride is an understatement, but such a pity I couldn't celebrate as all around me were Chelsea fans losing their rag as their team lost the match!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Town Memory?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.