Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Town Memory?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Best Town Memory?

This thread currently has 7,799 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 8, 2011, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,180
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Les Brechin

Another is doing the conga in the pouring rain on a Tuesday evening at Plymouth with the other 100 or so Town fans when we beat them 2-1. It was a big relegation 6 pointer and Super Clive scored his first ever goal for us. At the end of the season we stayed up and they were relegated.

past future town keeping legend Rhys Wilmott !! Was there that night too.

Everton 2-1 for me.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Theimperialcoroner
February 8, 2011, 7:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,134
Gold Stars: 102
Standing on Wembley Way with me Dad and Bro on Dad's 1st ever trip to London, with his packing-up in a Petit's bag for Town's 1st ever visit. Amazing. Everton and Liverpool victories run it very close though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
ginnywings
February 8, 2011, 7:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from carrot top
Exeter game 1972 when we won 3-0 to clinch the league title.Fantastic atmosphere. Rattles (showing my age) and home made banners everywhere. I remember after the game walking down the Grimsby Road with thousands singing.

Yeah,that was great.Don't think i've ever seen so many people on Grimsby Road and most of them were singing their heads off.

The comeback against Barnsley.Losing 2-0 and won 3-2.The Pontoon went crazy.

When we hammered Sheff Utd 4-0.

That wonderful goal Cockerill scored after a sweeping move from one end of the pitch to the other.

The night we beat Everton at Blundell park.Was packed to the rafters and i got crushed againt the fence in the Harrington St corner,which was the only place i could get in,the ground was that full.

Seeing Bobby Cumming wink at us in the Barratt after getting Norman Hunter sent off.

Playing Coventry off the pitch in the League cup only to give away a home goal and go out on away goals.

All the usual ones like Wembley,Everton,Liverpool etc.

Got some great memories of other teams as well.Fulham and West Ham being two that came here and played us off the pitch in the past.

Sure there are plenty of others that will come to me but i'm all depressed now,thinking how good things have been in the past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Les Brechin
February 8, 2011, 9:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from moosey_club

past future town keeping legend Rhys Wilmott !! Was there that night too.

Everton 2-1 for me.

It wasn't you who grabbed my bottom during the conga that night was it Moosey?

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
Poojah
February 8, 2011, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,399
Gold Stars: 1,497
The Wembley games were happy, happy days. The Liverpool match stands out for the pure euphoria of the nature and timing of Jevons' goal, but for me the Tottenham game is still the most emotional moment I can recall watching town.

I was having a bit of a shít time of it generally back then, and had a particularly shít day leading up to the match. That goal, that unexpected goal just seemed to make everything else melt away and just reinforced, there and then, why I bother following Town through all of the bad times. I
remember bumping into my dad on the half-way line following the pitch invasion - a mutual hug, a sort of "I owe this to you" kind of moment. Raw, joyous, emotions.

All of them feelings that no plastic Premier League fans will ever experience. The lows are so low, but watching your hometown club who you've supported since you could walk achieve something amazing fills you so much pride.

I think that's the reason we all do this.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
theicenian
February 8, 2011, 11:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Seen the games Exeter first time to Spurs.  The thing that really got to me was Buckley and Groves coming out of that tunnel for the first Wembley visit. A Town fan had never seen a Grimsby side walk out at Wembley ever before,that was emotional. Even got into trouble from my sons as tears ran down. Nothing like it,and to win twice in the space of a few weeks was just a very very good feeling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
RexFannies
February 9, 2011, 3:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from oldludensian
At home v Scunny circa 1990 Tuesday night game. 11 000+. They scored first and we scored twice in last 20 or so mins. I was in the ponny and still a schoolboy but the comaradary (sp) I felt that night as the goals went in lives with me to this day. Absolutely fanatastic night going completely mental with everyone else when we scored, jumping all over random people and being transported several rows in the process. Remember being totally out of breath, but having a massive smile on my face after each goal was scored such was the celebrations. Brilliant night that I'll never forget. Don't think I'll ever feel that way again about Town. Wembleys were good but this was the one stand out moment for me.

I'll always remember that night. Scunny were singing 'You're not singing anymore'. Then we scored 2 and the whole ground, including the Main was pointing and singing 'You're not singing anymore' to them....makes the hairs on the back of the neck stick up.

For me Wimbledon with Harry Haddock was a great fun day but winning against quite a strong Liverpool team at Anfield has to be the one.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Ironsmiler
February 9, 2011, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +1
I was at that game - Its bizarre how much football has changed since then, for the worse.  You don't get goal celebrations (at either end) like that any more.  Floppa somehow getting above Mark lever defies the laws of physics, as does two Iron players fighting over and missing a header 4 yards out before GY scuppered us.

Lee Ridley is a Goal Machine
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Fishfinger
February 9, 2011, 4:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
had to be Jevon's goal at Anfield!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
0ld timer
February 9, 2011, 8:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
outside the ground at stocport after the game 1972 the coppers cudnt get us to go home so they asked big lawrie to come out and ask us to leave
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Town Memory?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.