This thread currently has 6,957 views. Print
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
July 7, 2024, 10:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.10
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,608
Gold Stars: 122
We've had most of the possession in the games so far. That's likely to change against the Netherlands. Not expecting many changes unless Shaw is deemed fit enough to start but I'd like to see us use our other forwards more, Kane picks himself in Southgate's plan so he's guaranteed to start. Poor Watkins has not featured at all, and Toney has been a late sub. Can't see the other strikers coming on earlier though unless we have to chase the game, and they weren't against Slovakia when that was the case.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Twitter
Heisenberg
July 7, 2024, 10:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 108
Quoted from GrimRob
We've had most of the possession in the games so far. That's likely to change against the Netherlands. Not expecting many changes unless Shaw is deemed fit enough to start but I'd like to see us use our other forwards more, Kane picks himself in Southgate's plan so he's guaranteed to start. Poor Watkins has not featured at all, and Toney has been a late sub. Can't see the other strikers coming on earlier though unless we have to chase the game, and they weren't against Slovakia when that was the case.

Watkins came on against Denmark.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 125
GrimRob
July 7, 2024, 10:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.10
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,608
Gold Stars: 122
Quoted from Heisenberg

Watkins came on against Denmark.

Thanks. I had forgotten. He'll probably remember for the rest of his life though.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Twitter
Reply: 2 - 125
Limerick Mariner
July 7, 2024, 11:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,936
Gold Stars: 144
I thought the Dutch were quite physical in the second half and that helped them really get on top after being unable to get any sort of grip in the first. That said the Turks opened them up quite easily right at the end and blew a couple of decent chances. If we can match them physically they look vulnerable to quick counters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 125
mimma
July 8, 2024, 12:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,675
Gold Stars: 79
I think it will another game of low number of chances, so it will be the team that takes one will win.

let's hope it's us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 125
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 8, 2024, 2:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.73
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,323
Gold Stars: 211
At least we know it’s an all European final

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 125
jamesgtfc
July 8, 2024, 7:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,311
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I thought the Dutch were quite physical in the second half and that helped them really get on top after being unable to get any sort of grip in the first. That said the Turks opened them up quite easily right at the end and blew a couple of decent chances. If we can match them physically they look vulnerable to quick counters.

You have to pass the ball forwards to counter attack.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 125
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2024, 8:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +23,516
Gold Stars: 260
I doubt they’ll be too many changes. Personally I’d start Shaw. Gareth seemed to be talking up what Phil Foden did in Saturday’s game, I’m no expert but i couldn’t see that he did anything special so I’d like to see Gordon started in front of Shaw, but Foden will no doubt get the nod.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 125
lew chaterleys lover
July 8, 2024, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -11
Approval: +10,932
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from GrimRob

Keeping possession for possessions sake is so old hat these days. The best teams keep possession whilst simultaneously attacking at pace but we plod along passing to and frow with 5 yard ultra safe passes eventually getting over the half way  line.

BUT, winning is the most important thing and if we win the competition playing this type of football then fair enough. If we don't win it though expect the sky to fall in on Southgate!

One really noticeable aspect of our play is even when there is a more attacking pass available, we seem programmed to pass it to the nearest available player. Keeping possession obviously means the opposition can't hurt you which is perhaps the plan.

I agree with the poster who said it doesn't have the quality of previous tournaments; some players seem subdued and weary.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 125
promotion plaice
July 8, 2024, 8:56am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,135
Gold Stars: 203

So is it the Netherlands or Holland ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 125
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › England v Netherlands

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.