Reply: 20 - 107
bradzmilne
April 15, 2023, 10:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
The standard of officiating in England is a huge concern.

I’d like to think I’m relatively level-headed surrounding match officials as an ex-level 4 referee myself.

However, the standard is diabolical on an almost weekly basis.

Too many referees being pushed through the system too quickly and ending up well out of their depth.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 107
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,077
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from bradzmilne

I’d like to think I’m relatively level-headed surrounding match officials as an ex-level 4 referee myself.

Too many referees being pushed through the system too quickly and ending up well out of their depth.

Until the FA deal with the abuse and sh1t young refs have to deal with then it’s not going to get better. There’s not enough talent & quality coming through as they start but give up because of all the abuse, who could blame them? This means muppets with poor levels of fitness & understanding like the one we had today and at Donny get league games they’re not capable to deal with.

VAR doesn’t help, a load of well qualified and experienced refs playing with videos in a caravan when they could be helping out on the pitch somewhere in the pyramid.

The best ref I’ve seen all season was the lad who was an ex pro, but ex pros doing it will remain rare as they either don’t need the money or know what other pros say about refs behind closed doors.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 107
Theimperialcoroner
April 15, 2023, 10:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,333
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from bradzmilne

Tend to agree and I’m ex L4 still reffing at L5 as I’d not get near the fitness test these days. Thing is, I know that and I ref at a lower level than previous because I think it would be poor to do anything else.
The one thing I’ve always tried to offer the teams I ref is consistency in my decisions, they may not agree with them all but they know what to expect and why. This dude today didn’t even get that basic right, he was all over the place. Also noted how he got in the middle of play too often. That is a real sign of either a lack of fitness or sense. It does seem that people are getting pushed through who are simply not up to it and that detracts from some of the decent refs out there who get tarred with the same brush.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 107
bradzmilne
April 15, 2023, 10:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Until the FA deal with the abuse and sh1t young refs have to deal with then it’s not going to get better. There’s not enough talent & quality coming through as they start but give up because of all the abuse, who could blame them? This means muppets with poor levels of fitness & understanding like the one we had today and at Donny get league games they’re not capable to deal with.

VAR doesn’t help, a load of well qualified and experienced refs playing with videos in a caravan when they could be helping out on the pitch somewhere in the pyramid.

The best ref I’ve seen all season was the lad who was an ex pro, but ex pros doing it will remain rare as they either don’t need the money or know what other pros say about refs behind closed doors.

The FA have faced the same problems with officiating for years and years. Dwindling numbers of officials, which ultimately results in a diluted standard of quality.

It begs the question, what have they done about it? In my opinion… Bùgger all.

Any abuse that any official faces is absolutely not acceptable. However, equally what are the FA doing to entice people into officiating? What are the FA doing to prevent the abuse? GoPro-like cameras for 0.1% of grassroots referees simply isn’t enough.

No referee goes out to purposefully do a “bad job” & what we’re seeing is referees who have not been appropriately supported officiating games that they’re not ready for.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 107
Poojah
April 15, 2023, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,050
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from bradzmilne

I try not to get stuck into officials too often; refereeing can be a subjective thing and it’s easy to become clouded by your own bias, but the double act of the referee and lino by the Findus Stand produced some of the bizarrest decisions I have seen at Blundell Park in quite some time. And it’s a pretty high bar.

For me though, it was the lino that just pipped it in terms of sheer incompetence. Awarding a throw to Mansfield in the first-half when none of the ball had even reached the touchline, never mind all of the fúcking thing having gone over it. Failing to spot a blatant offside because he had completely switched off and found himself planted to the spot, a good 10 yards behind play. Generally looking like he didn’t understand the rules he was meant to be applying.

Woeful. Absolutely woeful.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 107
CSLM
April 15, 2023, 11:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
First half was pretty woeful. I am a huge fan of Smith but some of those passes were way off the target. As mentioned previously I cannot believe we continued to try the same thing.
I think we were lucky to only be one down at half time, It wasn't surprising though looking at the team sheet at 2pm. It is fustrating when most of our best players are sat on the bench with a full house at home.

Seen a few saying Mansfield weren't up to much but I thought they were decent. The way the ball stuck up front for them was a huge contrast to us 99% of the time. There were passes that were far better than anything we manage barring the odd one from Hunt when he plays.

Thought Khan was absolutely brilliant. The way he takes the ball on the half turn is a real threat and I think in a positive winning side he has real potential. Glennon coming on made him even better.

Finally a word for the ref, unreal , and not in a good way. For the first few minutes I thought he was going to be good. That was a yellow for Efete at the start though remembering back I think he only gave it when the Mansfield player stayed down and needed treatment.
The throw in given near the upper was beyond ridiculous.

Probably deserved a point in the end and thankfully did improve from that poor start.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 107
CSLM
April 15, 2023, 11:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Tend to agree and I’m ex L4 still reffing at L5 as I’d not get near the fitness test these days. Thing is, I know that and I ref at a lower level than previous because I think it would be poor to do anything else.
The one thing I’ve always tried to offer the teams I ref is consistency in my decisions, they may not agree with them all but they know what to expect and why. This dude today didn’t even get that basic right, he was all over the place. Also noted how he got in the middle of play too often. That is a real sign of either a lack of fitness or sense. It does seem that people are getting pushed through who are simply not up to it and that detracts from some of the decent refs out there who get tarred with the same brush.

There was a bit of consistency mate.
Lloyd and Khan got nothing when clearly held/ fouled but there was the most obvious foul I have ever seen on the Mansfield striker but he did nothing.
Well apart from carry on smiling....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 107
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 11:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,077
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from bradzmilne

The FA have faced the same problems with officiating for years and years. Dwindling numbers of officials, which ultimately results in a diluted standard of quality.

It begs the question, what have they done about it? In my opinion… Bùgger all.

Any abuse that any official faces is absolutely not acceptable. However, equally what are the FA doing to entice people into officiating? What are the FA doing to prevent the abuse? GoPro-like cameras for 0.1% of grassroots referees simply isn’t enough.

No referee goes out to purposefully do a “bad job” & what we’re seeing is referees who have not been appropriately supported officiating games that they’re not ready for.

Agree completely.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 107
grimsby pete
April 16, 2023, 12:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
I got sent off twice and booked twice in my playing days.

All for the same thing , telling the ref what I thought of him.

Not a clever thing to do.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.