Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 57 Guests

Paul "Teflon" Hurst

This thread currently has 14,356 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
December 19, 2021, 1:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,448
Gold Stars: 74
I think Hurst did recruit well and the start of the season was not a fluke.  Apart from Dover, we didn't steamroller teams but we did have fight.  Barnet is the best example.  So, when we went a goal behind, I had no feelings of dread.  We rained shots in, so many of the first month's goals were contenders for goal of the month / season.    Now we don't shoot.   Listening yesterday, Sears was ten yards out and passed.  Confidence is low and worsening.  The question is why?  What went wrong?  It's the management team's job to motivate the players and to guide these young players when they are going off track. We were all saying how good Hunt and Towler were in those early games, they can't just lose their raw talent. What happened to all the 'captains' in the side?   Those guys should be helping to keep players level headed and not to make rash challenges or elbow players to  leave us with ten men and a smaller pool of players for the next couple of games.

A lot of people though on here said that they wanted out of the competition as it was a distraction, so what's the fuss.  I wanted to win to restore some pride and to boost confidence.  It was never going to happen with our COVID cases, injuries etc but we didn't even turn up to have a go.  I actually nodded off, woke up when LJL got his red and then turned off.  I always listened / watched until the end, even those woeful games last year.  That's how bad it's getting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 161
Hagrid
December 19, 2021, 2:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,532
Gold Stars: 544
Holloway wouldnt have taken us down. Are you actually for realšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I advocated Paul Hursts return, but 9 defeats in 10 has me questioning him, which is something id never thought id do. I have to say i feel players have let him down. This is a man who does his homework on every player he signs, and more, and theyā€™ve shown a lack of fight and pride for weeks

But heā€™s the manager and buck stops with him, heā€™s not a Bignot bullshitter or Holloway. Heā€™s a genuine decent man, and i wish it could have turned out differently but i fail to see a way back for PH
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 161
GibMariner
December 19, 2021, 3:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Do the owners get called into question?

You happy with them if they donā€™t sack him ?

Just asking

No!!!! Not at all but because they are not ā€œfootballing peopleā€ Paul has to ask himself. Go on then. What a cop out that is!!!

When will they take responsibility!!!!!

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 161
davmariner
December 19, 2021, 3:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid
Holloway wouldnt have taken us down. Are you actually for realšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I advocated Paul Hursts return, but 9 defeats in 10 has me questioning him, which is something id never thought id do. I have to say i feel players have let him down. This is a man who does his homework on every player he signs, and more, and theyā€™ve shown a lack of fight and pride for weeks

But heā€™s the manager and buck stops with him, heā€™s not a Bignot bullshitter or Holloway. Heā€™s a genuine decent man, and i wish it could have turned out differently but i fail to see a way back for PH

I think thereā€™s still time and things could change very quickly once we get out of this rut. Itā€™s no coincidence that the downturn has come about when McAtee has been out of the team and it highlights our reliance on him.

Without him in the side, it does feel like the team perhaps subconsciously loses belief in their ability to win matches without McAtee as the focal point. Our reliance on him has to be addressed in January and Hurst needs to work overtime to get in the attacking reinforcements, no ifs, no buts.

Itā€™s a bad run, but putting things into perspective, itā€™s not the end of the world. Weā€™re still in touching distance of the play-offs with half of the season left.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 161
GibMariner
December 19, 2021, 3:16am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from immariner
Fact is few teams get promoted from this league first time after getting relegated. Add to that the budgets that Chesterfield, Stockport and Wrexham have we have no right to expect promotion, not realistically. This league is League 3/Division 5 in all but name. Look at Wrexham, similar-sized fanbase to ourselves and still in this league after 14 years. All those other clubs listed above have been out of the league for multiple years now too. So it's all well and good bemoaning Chelsea this and West Brom that but you're living in a bygone utopia and not where we are now. So where does that leave us? Exactly where we are, midtable albeit on a very poor run. I'm not saying I saw this season as an entirely free hit for Paul Hurst. Were we to realistically be in danger of relegation I would be changing my view. He has 2 more transfer windows for me- that's how long it realistically takes to retain and recruit the right blend of players in my opinion, to be able to give promotion a real crack.

Of course I'm disappointed in the run that we're on and it needs to stop pretty soon. But we're just 2 weeks away from the football league transfee window opening. Players will become available that up to now haven't been. If there's one thing PH has a pretty good track record of it's recruitment. I'm looking forward to who we bring in. He also has a pretty good track record of keeping us at the right end of this division, given time.

Yours, a happy clapper

Are you Pettit or Stockwood in disguise? šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Private Message
Reply: 74 - 161
GibMariner
December 19, 2021, 3:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Heā€™s two windows away you say? Is that why weā€™ve only got four or five under contract for beyond this season. That doesnā€™t really smack of squad building.

This squad building thing is nonsense. It either working or not depending on so many things.

Players go from being assets to liabilities in a blink and vis versa!!! The latter not to often.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 161
GibMariner
December 19, 2021, 3:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Heā€™s two windows away you say? Is that why weā€™ve only got four or five under contract for beyond this season. That doesnā€™t really smack of squad building.

This squad building thing is nonsense. It either working or not depending on so many things.

Players go from being assets to liabilities in a blink and vis versa!!! The latter not to often.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 161
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 3:54am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,246
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from GrimRob

IH wasn't sacked though was he? He would probably have got a few more games had other things not intervened.

I donā€™t believe Fenty would ever have sacked Holloway, regardless of how bad things got!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 161
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 5:32am
Pontoonite
Quoted from Kris2
How many managers are we going to throw under the bus until we start blaming the players? Do we need to go through 4-5 managers again and again before we realise we constantly sign lazy twits. The sad thing is we know this team can do it and they had the fans full support but the lack of pride and effort on show has been unacceptable.

I'm sure these players can't wait to throw Hurst under the bus too, what will a new manager do? Different formation? Different tactics? What will they say to motivate players who can't be bothered on a Saturday while getting paid to have a giggle on candid camera in training? Getting Hurst sacked may fill members of this forum with satisfaction because he doesn't lick their behind and talk about how everyone in the team needs to be local because this is an amazing area but it won't solve all our problems. The last several managers since Hurst certainly didn't.

There has to be more to it than that though surely, itā€™s too much of a coincidence that unfit, Lazy squads of players re signed by 4 or 5 consecutive managers, same players and multiple managers and I would free, but many managers and many different squad of players, all suffering the same character/attribute flaws?

Or does it in fact say more about our inability, as a club to attract players of a certain standard and calibre? Are we again a victim of our geography??

Personally, as much as we are far from a fashionable club in a thriving metropolitan area, I actually think players are not half as bothered about where we are located, but rather the financial package offered, league status/position and historic reputation.

Could be completely wrong though!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 161
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 5:40am
Pontoonite
Iā€™m a big Paul Hurst fan, but Iā€™m finding it increasingly difficult to back him at the moment. We appear, after an excellent start to in fact be. one-man team and when McAtee is missing, we fall apart. I fear Paul will rue not signing a proper goal scorer in the summer, it is understandable why he donā€™t look too hard (he might have down for all we know) once the season go underway as we were scoring regularly and across the team with multiple players chipping in.

I think, if Paul had gone all in on Tsimanga, the owners would have backed him financially, it seems the only thing stopping that was Paul stub out was not to ā€˜overpayā€™ā€¦ well sometimes you have to Paul and that is proving dividends for Chesterfield this season.

This is however, much of an unknown as we have no idea how trigger-happy the owners are when it comes to under-performance.

My instinct tells me they will back, and stick with Paul and play the long-game, I just donā€™t see them as the sacking type given their public personas since arriving at the club, but, I guess you donā€™t get to their level of wealth and success without being ruthlessā€¦ guess time will soon tell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 161
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.