Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 102 Guests

who will be in the team in 6 months time?

This thread currently has 15,871 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
April 21, 2021, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah that’s pretty much what I was getting at, I think there will be a mixture of one or two leaving on mutual terms and maybe a few others finding new clubs. But some are saying (and not just on this board) that we should pay off 5 or 6 players and I just don’t think people can get their head around the money side of that. There’s a huge difference between “paying off” and telling someone they’re not required and to find a new club. I completely agree that we need a huge clear out and Hurst has one hell of a headache sorting it.

When I used the term pay off I mean give an offer to a player to leave, not pay his entire contract! I assume most other s do too.

If player A is offered 50% of his contract he only has to find a team willing to pay him 51% of his contract and he has an immediate pay rise.

Yes there is a cost and we probably aren't going to be able to get rid of all who we would like to but equally, if you don't do this sort of thing your left with a shite squad of players your manager won't pick anyway.

Some paying off is going to have to be done. I dare say Rose is on a reasonable whack and he can't get picked ahead of a mid 30s players from NLN (coke) and a teenager with about 4 league starts who isn't really up to EFL standards (at least not yet) (spokes) ora utility player (clifton). We would be better off saving some of Rose's wages by coming to an arrangement and having them to put towards someone Hurst is willing to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 97
Rick12
April 21, 2021, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from DB
Depends on his budget. For me Macca, Hab, Clifton, Coke, LJL, Jackson.Kouri, and Adlard. If they can be persuaded Hendrie, Hewitt, Matete, and Menayese. We also need 2/3 strikers, LJL holds the ball week but we do need out and out strikers as the missed chances have shown.
Since Jackson Jr came to us I have always had a soft spot for him due to his attitude. Hope he does well next season in what is almost certain the conference now . His mindset appears to be  first class.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 97
Mariner_09
April 21, 2021, 3:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Whatever happens, we have to make sure we get off to a flying start next season in the Conference. Every single year in the previous time down there we were already out of the title fight by September, we can't be dropping points with last-minute equalisers at Kidderminster, failing to beat Nuneaton at home or losing at Altrincham in August again.

He'll keep Lenny almost certainly. I'd try and keep Macca, Hendrie, Menayese, Hewitt, Habergham, Matete and Coke. But honestly, I won't be bothered if we start next season with zero of this year's players. We need a complete clear-out and fresh start.

I hope our budget is at least moderately more competitive than it was the last time, bigger parachute payments, no Fentynomics so we should be better placed.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from forza ivano
Williams is a frustrating one. If Hurst could get a tune out of him he's got he ability & pedigree to be the best player in the division, but i wonder if the injuries have 'done for him' as much psychologically as physically

i'd be interested to know which players have already been told to look for pastures new

I'd take a guess that him and Hurst don't see eye to eye. Clearly has talent, better than most of Hurst's selections out wide or as an attacking midfielder, but even after his performance in the Mansfield game, Hurst hasn't used him. Something wasn't right for him not to be involved for such a long time beforehand or after that game. Maybe it's his his attitude or he wants away or even Hurst just doesn't rate him. Whatever it is, I was baffled that he hasn't been selected that often, because as you say, on his day he can be a world beater for this level of football..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 97
dapperz fun pub
April 21, 2021, 3:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be honest I don't really think Clifton has come on like some thought he might. In my opinion he is probably not good enough for a hopefully promotion winning team.

I was one who thought Harry would be a real influential player for us sadly not the case no one can deny his effort but just lacks that bit of quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 3:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I was one who thought Harry would be a real influential player for us sadly not the case no one can deny his effort but just lacks that bit of quality.

Highly dependable squad player in the Conference though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 97
Son of Cod
April 21, 2021, 3:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,351
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Bigdog

The players weren't up to standard true, but that same bunch of players had won at Cheltenham, Orient and Crawley and had just beaten Scunthorpe. After Hurst said that, we picked up two points in the next nine games and slid into the relegation places. I think it's logical to think that Hurst could have some ability in boosting the existing players' confidence to pick up more than two points. How often have we seen the new manager bounce elsewhere, better results with the same players? The disturbing fact is that Hurst has done even worse than Holloway this season on a points per game basis, even after signing eleven new players. I'm not saying Hurst is a poorer manager than Holloway, but his mistakes and record should not be brushed under the carpet and be ignored. Slagging off the squad he inherited publicly was a big mistake imho and seems logical enough when comparing results before he arrived to the ones directly after..

The Cheltenham and Orient games were frustrating anomalies. We looked great in both games. That was the type of football Holloway wanted us to be playing all the time, but we were severely lacking in leadership and experience at the attacking end of the pitch, other than Matt Green. We relied on young loanees way too much early doors, our transfer/recruitment/retained player policy was terrible in the summer and we furloughed the groundstaff while trying to play the ball on the deck. This astronomical balls up meant PH had an absolutely terrible chance of keeping us up. The damage was all but done before a ball was even kicked. Hurst's record hasn't been great, but we know what he's about. He doesn't come in and get results. He comes in and gets rid of the bad eggs and sorts the defence out and then he builds from there. We might be going down having had Hurst in charge for half the season, but if anyone thinks we have regressed  under Hurst they need their head testing. Last night aside, we've been one of the toughest sides to play against in the division for the last two months or so.

One thing I will say I'm not pleased about that PH has done, is handing an 18 month deal to LJL, I'd much rather keep Hanson than him but there's no point in having them both in the squad. It's mad that we've been playing those two together and it's absolutely mental that we played them in a three with Payne. Our attacking options have been dire all season, but if we'd have had Hanson fit all season and another striker who wasn't in that same mould and had some Football League experience under their belt we'd have had a much better chance at not going down.

I just pray to god that next season our top earners whoever they may be, are playing and in form. So much of our budgets in recent seasons have been on players that have done sodomist all. Scannell, Williams and Green. That's a big chunk of budget that has been largely useless and/or absent. Then going back since our return to the FL we've had Jordan Cook, Whitehouse, Kristian Dennis, JOHN flipping WELSH, Chris Clements, Simeon Jackson, Jamille Matt, McSheffrey, Scott Vernon...all complete pish and all stealing a decent living from us. It's quite impressive how incompetent our transfer record has been over the past few seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 97
dapperz fun pub
April 21, 2021, 4:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Bigdog

Perhaps .. was hoping his career would be better than that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 97
Son of Cod
April 21, 2021, 4:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,351
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with this, I wouldn't want him in League 2 but I'll have him in the Conference. He'll run his bottom into the ground for the cause, you can afford to have a couple of players like this down there. I feel harsh saying that, but he's probably not good enough for L2. I hope he kicks on in the Conference next season though. Could be a few players who might benefit from dropping down a division. Max Wright is another one if he can stay fit. Pollock too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 97
geir
April 21, 2021, 4:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

I hope that the new owners would like to make a push for league football as early as possible - investing in the clubs players to make that happen. Isn`t there also some sort of compensation package when you go down to the conference? So, some extra money available?

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.