Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 75 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 156,518 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Bawmariner
February 16, 2021, 10:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +336
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Poojah
So, having followed this thread a tiny bit, what are the potential scenarios assuming Town fail to climb out of the League Two relegation zone?

- NL clubs vote to complete the season, season completes: Town are relegated

- NL clubs vote to complete the season: season fails to complete by end of May: Town are reprieved

- NL clubs vote to end the season: Town are reprieved

Are there other scenarios, or is that simple?
I've seen it suggested on here that the EFL have already confirmed that they will not allow promotion / relegation to / from League Two in the event that it is able to complete but the NL cannot (i.e. PPG cannot be applied to a promotion scenario only) - is this definitely the case?

If I have it right (and adittedly there's every chance I don't!), you'd have to say that as we enter the second half of February with more than half the season to play for most sides, and the possibility of more postponements due to a combination of weather and Covid, it does look a tall order to get everything completed in time.

Town could finish outside the relegation zone. Actually on second thoughts I think those are the only three scenarios.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 690 - 899
moosey_club
February 16, 2021, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.69
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,345
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Poojah
So, having followed this thread a tiny bit, what are the potential scenarios assuming Town fail to climb out of the League Two relegation zone?

- NL clubs vote to complete the season: season fails to complete by end of May: Town are reprieved

Are there other scenarios, or is that simple? I've seen it suggested on here that the EFL have already confirmed that they will not allow promotion / relegation to / from League Two in the event that it is able to complete but the NL cannot (i.e. PPG cannot be applied to a promotion scenario only) - is this definitely the case?

If I have it right (and adittedly there's every chance I don't!), you'd have to say that as we enter the second half of February with more than half the season to play for most sides, and the possibility of more postponements due to a combination of weather and Covid, it does look a tall order to get everything completed in time.

We finish bottom , the EFL are gutted at the prospect that they may lose the best run club in the League to non league and come to a behind the scenes deal that if we just slip a couple of boxes of our finest smoked haddock into their HQ they will sort it for us to stay up, just like the old days.

Unfortunately as part of the consortiums takeover deal and dock plans the final smoke houses were demolished to make way for a vegan food and smoothie village , EFL arent too chipper about receiving a kale and butternut squash smoothie instead and relegate us after all.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 691 - 899
KingstonMariner
February 17, 2021, 12:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.01
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB
I think come the end of the month the vote will not matter. Clubs who stand no chance of promotion will think why carry on with a loan. If we do a Dover then the season will have to end.

Can any chairman justify taking a loan to have his club relegated. It will not matter what those at the top want, and vote for, they have to play those at the bottom end of the league. No match's means the league will fold, it's not a matter of if, but when.

That didn’t seem to trouble John Fenty!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 692 - 899
GollyGTFC
February 17, 2021, 6:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,953
Gold Stars: 373
Quoted from Poojah

Are there other scenarios, or is that simple? I've seen it suggested on here that the EFL have already confirmed that they will not allow promotion / relegation to / from League Two in the event that it is able to complete but the NL cannot (i.e. PPG cannot be applied to a promotion scenario only) - is this definitely the case?

Another scenario is they vote to continue, a few clubs follow Dover’s lead and threaten legal action and the league descends into chaos with so many games postponed that there is no possibility of the season finishing and the NL is null and void by default.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 693 - 899
GollyGTFC
February 17, 2021, 6:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,953
Gold Stars: 373
Worth considering the reports that a significant number of clubs haven’t voted yet and will only do so at the last moment including some who have voiced the opinion that they “want” to continue.

Why? If they were going to continue at all costs they would have voted already wouldn’t they? I am starting to think the vote will be a lot closer than some are predicting and might even be either 11-11 (with Wrexham abstaining) or a slender win for null and void.

Clubs waiting for a change of government policy suggests they will vote null and void when the government don’t back down (which they won’t).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 694 - 899
supertown
February 17, 2021, 7:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,489
Gold Stars: 53
There could be half a dozen who follow Wrexham’s lead
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 695 - 899
MarinerGaz
February 17, 2021, 8:05am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Quoted from supertown
There could be half a dozen who follow Wrexham’s lead

Wrexham are only abstaining as they do not qualify for the loans, all the other clubs are directly affected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 696 - 899
pen penfras
February 17, 2021, 8:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MarinerGaz

Wrexham are only abstaining as they do not qualify for the loans, all the other clubs are directly affected.

That's not a reason to abstain. I think they're doing it because they don't want to make an unpopular decision either way and their new owners will keep them going this season if they have to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 697 - 899
Marinerdeano
February 17, 2021, 9:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Worth considering the reports that a significant number of clubs haven’t voted yet and will only do so at the last moment including some who have voiced the opinion that they “want” to continue.

Why? If they were going to continue at all costs they would have voted already wouldn’t they? I am starting to think the vote will be a lot closer than some are predicting and might even be either 11-11 (with Wrexham abstaining) or a slender win for null and void.

Clubs waiting for a change of government policy suggests they will vote null and void when the government don’t back down (which they won’t).

Perhaps some are waiting to see how realistic a playoff bid really is and if some teams begin to pull away by end of February cast their vote then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 698 - 899
ginnywings
February 17, 2021, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
They are all waiting for the big Bojo roadmap announcement on Monday. Think there is zero chance fans will be allowed into grounds anytime soon, and the grant/loan situation isn't going to change either, so with the time to vote running out fast, we will know next week which way the vote goes.

If they vote to carry on, it won't end there because some will simply refuse to play or put out weakened sides.

I cannot see a way that the league will continue as a full and fair competition, so it will then be down to the powers that be to decide what is, or is not, acceptable regarding promotion and relegation to and from the NL.

There could also be legal challenges from both NL and EFL teams.

It's a complete mess, and to my mind, without fans, it's pointless to carry on, just so 2 teams from about 6 or 7 have a shot at promotion to the detriment of everybody else who can't afford to carry on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 699 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.