Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps Top.....Aghhhh
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 135 Guests

Gimps Top.....Aghhhh

This thread currently has 33,599 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Bigdog

Ah the 90s, when football attendances had a massive downturn. Can remember Sheff Utd getting less than 10k, Chelsea mid teens etc etc etc. Our upteenth Wembley visit when our club was at its lowest versus your first as a club on the rise. Our first visit we had 31k there, that shows our potential, as does for you the 26k that you took..

The thing is that the last few years have been Lincoln's best ever pretty much, so of course your fans have been flocking back. You're not massive and we aren't. We'll have our time again, hopefully soon, if Fenty gets his head out of his behind. You'll have a struggle again, not for while granted, we'll get our mojo back and roles will be reversed one day. It's football, forever cyclical, nothing lasts forever. Enjoy it while you can, your rise also gives us hope. A small club averaging 2k only a while back, building a fanbase and reaching the top of League One is admirable. Truth is, when we were there and much higher, we never thought about you, our rivals truly were Barnsley and the Sheffield clubs back then, and we certainly didn't ram it down your throats. I know the majority of Imps fans who actually have the brain space to think about us while you're doing so well are concerned about what's happening to our club, as we would you if roles were reversed. We're all part of the football family and the last thing we need is having someone else's success rammed down our throats right now. No one likes a gloater..

Some good points raised, but back then in your ‘Sir Alan’ days, t’internet was in its infancy so you never had the opportunity to ‘ram it down our throats’ although as our paths crossed some years later, you attempted to remind us I recall.

One thing I can assure you, is that fans of the Sheffield clubs in particular saw you as a day out on the coast on the pi$$, similar to a trip to Skegness, but with a game thrown in for good measure so please less of the delusion you were an actual ‘rival’ of either.

Football is though as you say ‘forever cyclical’ and post Covid we’ll see in which direction anything changes. At present due to no fans being allowed in stadiums, Fenty is getting away with things pretty much scot-free providing he doesn’t read The Fishy. Appleton on the other hand isn’t receiving the adulation from a packed ground that is pleading to be extended due to demand. Even under the Cowley’s there were Prem fans within the City who didn’t rate the style of play despite it getting  results .... not any more.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 199
FishOutOfWater
December 27, 2020, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Fair play to them... they've done well for a small(ish) club

I do wonder what happened to the advice that Fenty gave them a few years back on how to run their set up

I can only guess they heated their offices with all the hot air he'd have spouted?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 199
Marinerz93
December 27, 2020, 1:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
When we were in the championship I often thought wouldn't it be great for both the Gimps and Scunts to be up there with us. I always felt sorry for them, and other than that I didn't give them a second thought. Hull, Barnsley and Sheffield clubs were our rivals.

When I first started watching Town we were getting gates around 7,500 to 8,000 and the Osmond from memory wasn't full every home game as claimed by the gimp, at times half full at best and when we were getting gates of around 6,000 we were in relegation or poor performing teams at the foot of the table, the scunts saw similar but smaller gates in their relegation season form the Championship.

This is is the best performing period for a Lincoln side in living memory and it is off the back of great investment and good will generated by the Cowleys. It won't last nothing ever does so enjoy the ride you are on or are you the kind of person who gets more joy out of others watching you pretending your enjoying yourself.

You want to talk about potential what was our average gates in league 4 when McMenemy was here. A team that was backed and had a charismatic manager.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 199
arryarryarry
December 27, 2020, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,032
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Hard to accept but it’s the facts.......
There’s more to worry and think about at present but it still hurts......
I’ve still got all my match programmes........Drinkell,Donovan x 2,......the list goes on
Hope the good times come back before the lid goes on......lol
UTMM

How many Town fans actually give a toss?

We have far worse issues to worry about, I don't bother looking for their results.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 199
Lincs Iron man
December 27, 2020, 1:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -577
Cod heads never got massive gates even in their hey day.
Small coastal club.

As for rivals with Sheffield clubs and Barnsley 😂 Thats laughable.
My dad was a Blades fan from Sheffield and he always used to say it was just an easy trip to the seaside for a urine up.
They never saw you as rivals and your rivals next season will be York and Chesterfield 🙄🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 199
arryarryarry
December 27, 2020, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,032
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincs Iron man
Small coastal club.

My dad was a Blades fan from Sheffield and he always used to say it was just an easy trip to the seaside for a urine up.
They never saw you as rivals and your rivals next season will be York and Chesterfield 🙄🙄

You have made a real hobby of making yourself look a mindless twit so well done on that.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1589364134/s-0/
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 199
Limerick Mariner
December 27, 2020, 3:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,706
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Marinerz93
When we were in the championship I often thought wouldn't it be great for both the Gimps and Scunts to be up there with us. I always felt sorry for them, and other than that I didn't give them a second thought. Hull, Barnsley and Sheffield clubs were our rivals.

When I first started watching Town we were getting gates around 7,500 to 8,000 and the Osmond from memory wasn't full every home game as claimed by the gimp, at times half full at best and when we were getting gates of around 6,000 we were in relegation or poor performing teams at the foot of the table, the scunts saw similar but smaller gates in their relegation season form the Championship.

This is is the best performing period for a Lincoln side in living memory and it is off the back of great investment and good will generated by the Cowleys. It won't last nothing ever does so enjoy the ride you are on or are you the kind of person who gets more joy out of others watching you pretending your enjoying yourself.

You want to talk about potential what was our average gates in league 4 when McMenemy was here. A team that was backed and had a charismatic manager.

I would say to contrary and that away fan numbers at BP were probably one of the lowest in the League when we were in the second division - I went to nearly every home game in the early 80s we are talking a handful of games each season with more than 1k. Clubs filling the whole Osmond when it was standing I can remember these - Sheffield United in the Cup (1979) and Sheffield Wednesday on Boxing day when the club had to open the gates and let many in for free, Leeds first day of the season 1982 (total chaos), Chelsea's championship winning game (also chaos), Newcastle on Boxing Day in 1980 and their championship winning game, Derby first season up, Leicester, the Drinkell / Linekar 2-2, and that's it over 5 seasons or so. I don't know what the stated capacity of the Osmond was - circa 4 - 4.5k? For some of those it was definitely "overfilled" and also away fans went in the Cleethorpes corner as well - Leeds, Chelsea, Newcastle. Some big clubs were only given the Osmond corner -  West Ham, Chelsea - first season up, for the majority of games it was a couple of hundred in the Osmond corner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 3:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

When was this exactly?

I see you mention the Lawrie Mac days, that’s 50 years ago for goodness sake, but don’t worry we’ve got Sunderland fans eulogising over former glories now although I’m not sure many of them were around watching Stokoe lift the Cup?

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 199
Marinerz93
December 27, 2020, 3:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Lincs Iron man
Small coastal club.

Your dad,   and what's funnier is you pretending to have conversations with him, I bet you have a face drawn on a piece of wood you talk too  

Worst troll ever.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 2, 2021, 5:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Impish ‘Total Football’ overcomes typical Wimbledon hoofball and spoiling tactics.

4pts ahead of Hull, 9pts inside the Play-offs and a mahoosive 12pts clear of Sunderland .... what a time to be alive (well almost)  

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 199
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps Top.....Aghhhh

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.