WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 17, 2019, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,086
Gold Stars: 195
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Maybe 4 weeks ago he hadn't been approached by an EFL club in the Manchester area?

You mean he's gonna end up at Salford?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 82
GollyGTFC
May 17, 2019, 10:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,988
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

You mean he's gonna end up at Salford?

Not just Salford in Manchester area. Could be of interest to Oldham. Macclesfield, Crewe, Port Vale & Bradford are also within easy travelling distance of Manchester, although you could probably take Macc out of the equation given their record for late payment of wages and Crewe for obvious reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 82
VinnyGTFC
May 17, 2019, 11:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +143
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
OMG, 1 person has decided to leave (RHJ) and now potentially another one in davis, how the hell can we not keep all of our players, this is a disgrace from MJ

Our fans are shocking some times.

By the way, we extended his contract, so he won't be free of charge

If he's unsettled he'll go for free. He has no monetary value
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 82
forza ivano
May 17, 2019, 11:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,303
Gold Stars: 266
i could see him turning up at Morecambe (depending on where he lives)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 82
Maringer
May 17, 2019, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,709
Gold Stars: 189
You'd have to assume he's got something lined up if he is leaving.

I think there is potential there as he had some good spells last season as well as a good goal return for a central defender. Nothing spectacular, though. Plenty of other similarly half-decent central defenders around I expect. Who knows, perhaps we'll be lucky and sign a good one in his place?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 82
davmariner
May 17, 2019, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,985
Gold Stars: 79
Not the end of the world if he goes. Prone to making big mistakes, particularly in giving away penalties.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 82
GollyGTFC
May 17, 2019, 12:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,988
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from davmariner
Not the end of the world if he goes. Prone to making big mistakes, particularly in giving away penalties.

He conceded 1 penalty this season. away at Cheltenham. How exactly does that make him "prone to giving away penalties"? We conceded 5 penalties this season, Were Hall-Johnson, Dixon, Collins & McKeown also prone to giving away penalties too?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 82
TonySmith
May 17, 2019, 4:01pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +977
Gold Stars: 11
  I have noticed that people on here are very quick to talk down our players when there is even a hint that they may go somewhere else. "Well he was never that good, we'll get better" etc. etc. Except that we often end up with a player who is not as good as the one we persuaded ourselves would be no big loss.
  In my opinion, Harry Davis is the sort of player we need to be keeping. He is versatile, solid, and reliable and always works hard for the team. As a league two team the likelihood of just plucking a better player than Davis out of the air for nothing  is not great, in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 82
forza ivano
May 17, 2019, 4:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,303
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from TonySmith
  I have noticed that people on here are very quick to talk down our players when there is even a hint that they may go somewhere else. "Well he was never that good, we'll get better" etc. etc. Except that we often end up with a player who is not as good as the one we persuaded ourselves would be no big loss.
  In my opinion, Harry Davis is the sort of player we need to be keeping. He is versatile, solid, and reliable and always works hard for the team. As a league two team the likelihood of just plucking a better player than Davis out of the air for nothing  is not great, in my opinion.

can you give some examples please Tony, because when i see the team that started Jolley's first game and compare it to the team 12 months on i could only find 1 possible area where we had gone backwards?

this was his first line up (3-5-2)    
McKeown, Collins and Clifton were all regulars this season. Ben davies, clarke and suliman  not as good as hendrie, davies and rhj. Fox and ring, probably fox but probably fair to say that the jury's out. Berrett and Rose not as good as Hess and Embleton. Matt & Dembele up front. Difficult to say on this one as Matt didn't pull up any trees but has gone on to much better things; as has Dembele , although by this stage Dembele wasn't interested and was completely ineffectual. Whatever you say about Thomas he scored goals, generally worked hard and had  a bit of class. Dennis, Cardwell and Cook have all been as ineffectual as Matt was on so many occasions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 82
TonySmith
May 17, 2019, 5:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +977
Gold Stars: 11
  I agree that the team now is stronger than the team was when Jolley took over. My point was not about that. I just see that there are some regular posters on this site who immediately talk negatively about any player's abilities when there is a hint they may want a move. Davis is a good example, but I also saw it recently with comments about Thomas, Rose, RHJ, Matt certainly last year, and going back plenty more. I'm even seeing it currently with negative comments about James McKeown.
No player is perfect. They all make mistakes from time to time, but so do top level players and we are a League Two club paying, I suspect, less than even a number of other League Two clubs. It's the assumption that we will find better players if we just get rid of the ones we have now that I find a bit unrealistic. If the playing budget were to improve significantly, then that may be a whole different story, but often all that happens is that a different player of similar abilities comes in for a year or so until it's his turn to move on at which point posters will talk him down and the process starts again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry Davis

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.