dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2018, 7:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

To be honest, all the Yorkshire sides have been tasty,Scunny was always ..........interesting but Stoke was the worst I have witnessed here.

Remember some idiot with a machete came charging across the pitch towards the Pontoon end.

Before the police got him a handful of town fans intercepted him and gave him a right kick in lol.

Late 70s and 80s were bad got pelted with coins and metal kung fu stars. Urinated from above at Wolves two-tier stand got a good belting at Liverpool when they put us in the kop stupid prats.

Remember going to scunny as a fresh faced teenager in the cup early 80s , town all over the town centre drunk up by mid morning going in all 4 sides of the old show ground creating havoc before/during the game. Always interesting encounters like you say but always more aggro with the sheff clubs Leeds Barnsley etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
TownSNAFU5
February 9, 2018, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
The Leeds game in 1982 was a perfect storm for everything that could go wrong.  I remember feeling that the police never had control of the very large number of Leeds fans.  I don't remember them trying to get in the Pontoon before the game.

I did see Leeds fans trying to get into the Pontoon after the game.  They were vicious with it.  Not very bright really trying to get in the Pontoon when everyone else is going the other way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
LH
February 9, 2018, 8:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,613
Gold Stars: 177
My mum’s from Leeds originally and one of her (estranged) cousins was one of their lads in the 70s/80s. He did a very long stretch for slashing someone numerous times with a stanley knife across the back after jumping on them and pinning them down. He wasn’t out long before he was returned to prison for holding up a bookies with a sawn-off. As I say: estranged.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Ipswin
February 9, 2018, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pontoon442
The 1982 game was first time Leeds visited for years & years and the opening of the Findus stand & 1st game of the season. Att 16,137 but alot of the so called Leeds fans where from other clubs & towns just there for a scrap, Kilmore scored for Town & Lorimer equalised late on. Next season was Tuesday night & only 7,797 attended, but Drinkell scored cracker as town won 2-0. Horrible in Clee Friday night, they came into the Toby from Willys, staff came round & said we're closing as soon as the cops get here, come back in half an hour through the back door, so that was it back in the Toby with the curtains closed. Note to younger fans "The Toby" was the best pub in Cleethorpes if you had a scooter, beer was crap though. No where like that now...
Chelsea visited 4 times during that period 80 to 84 att 14,708 first time for Trevor Wymarks debut as town won 2-0 loads of trouble Friday & Saturday att went well down for next 2 visits then 13,000 for last game of the season as Chelsea needed to win to beat Wednesday for the title, Town finished 5th equal on points with Man City in 4th. Chelsea may well have outnumbered Town that day in the ground, huge pitch invasion at the end, but a fair few Town steamed into them though.
Town had a great team of locals then but crowds were quite low, the fishing was almost over, youth unemployment very high, little money about during Tory Margaret Thatchers recession plus people put off by the trouble, decaying stadiums & high caged fences all over.

Great days indeed

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
chaos33
February 9, 2018, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 362
I wasn't allowed to go. I was 10.
The stories recounted here are the stuff of legend (for my generation of Town fan).

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
arryarryarry
February 9, 2018, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,019
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from pontoon442
The 1982 game was first time Leeds visited for years & years and the opening of the Findus stand & 1st game of the season. Att 16,137 but alot of the so called Leeds fans where from other clubs & towns just there for a scrap, Kilmore scored for Town & Lorimer equalised late on. Next season was Tuesday night & only 7,797 attended, but Drinkell scored cracker as town won 2-0. Horrible in Clee Friday night, they came into the Toby from Willys, staff came round & said we're closing as soon as the cops get here, come back in half an hour through the back door, so that was it back in the Toby with the curtains closed. Note to younger fans "The Toby" was the best pub in Cleethorpes if you had a scooter, beer was crap though. No where like that now...
Chelsea visited 4 times during that period 80 to 84 att 14,708 first time for Trevor Wymarks debut as town won 2-0 loads of trouble Friday & Saturday att went well down for next 2 visits then 13,000 for last game of the season as Chelsea needed to win to beat Wednesday for the title, Town finished 5th equal on points with Man City in 4th. Chelsea may well have outnumbered Town that day in the ground, huge pitch invasion at the end, but a fair few Town steamed into them though.
Town had a great team of locals then but crowds were quite low, the fishing was almost over, youth unemployment very high, little money about during Tory Margaret Thatchers recession plus people put off by the trouble, decaying stadiums & high caged fences all over.

After having a season ticket for the Ponny for many years that game was my first with a season ticket at the back of the Findus Stand.

I knew there was plenty of bother but cannot remember any in the Findus Stand.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
February 9, 2018, 9:36pm
Guest User
I was there!  I recall driving into Cleethorpes marketplace at around 9pm and having bottles and kicks at my car.  To be honest I was terrified but as a 20 year old taxi driver I just wanted the money.  Stopped and picked up 2 x scum, ‘tekus tooo larfbert’.  twit started pulling my hair halfway so I slammed the brakes on, rear child locks on.  Got out, Yanked open the rear passenger door and when his leg came out I slammed the fornicator shut.  Dragged him out and gave him a kiss (ish).  His mate was only too pleased to pay.

Despite my love for most things human I have a deep dislike of anything Yorkshire.
Reply: 36 - 67
February 9, 2018, 10:05pm
Guest User
Strange thing, I never involved myself in football hooliganism, it started in the early 70’s which as a 10 year old was before my time.  Through my teens and into early 20’s it was the ‘norm’.  If you were a football fan then you were a hooligan.  I get what it was about, the rivalry, the weekend release, the whole being a young bloke thing and being in the pack.  I suppose oddly it never appealed to me, I just didn’t get the ‘why’ aspect.  I understood as a Healing lad piling into a load of townies in Bunnies, being hopelessly outnumbered but what the intercourse.  I just didn’t get football violence as an addiction.  
Reply: 37 - 67
chaos33
February 9, 2018, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from 139914
I was there!  I recall driving into Cleethorpes marketplace at around 9pm and having bottles and kicks at my car.  To be honest I was terrified but as a 20 year old taxi driver I just wanted the money.  Stopped and picked up 2 x scum, ‘tekus tooo larfbert’.  twit started pulling my hair halfway so I slammed the brakes on, rear child locks on.  Got out, Yanked open the rear passenger door and when his leg came out I slammed the fornicator shut.  Dragged him out and gave him a kiss (ish).  His mate was only too pleased to pay.

Despite my love for most things human I have a deep dislike of anything Yorkshire.

Really?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
February 9, 2018, 10:14pm
Guest User
Yes really, in 1981 I was the youngest Hackney Carriage driver in the country.  It was near impossible to get insured as a sub 25 year old.  It took 60 drivers (that was the total number of plates in those days) threatening to change insurance providers to finally get a quote.  I ended up paying nearly £750 a quarter for FC plus public liability insurance.

I guess you wouldn’t get that because your a patronising no mark internet twit.  But hey, let’s not allow the truth to cloud our friendship
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leeds@ Grimsby 1982

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.