Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Dean
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

Matt Dean

This thread currently has 35,169 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMal
December 22, 2017, 10:59am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Grim74

FACT Matt Dean made a false report on a twitter! This false report caused mayhem and he still stubbornly has not even apologised why are you in denial?
To try and compare Slade and Fenty with total inaccuracies is very childish,why not try and side with the club you supposedly support and not some discredited reporter who works for a biased organisation.

Trying to compare

What caused the most mayhem? Matt Deans tweet or the subsequent way the club handled their response?

Others in this thread have already mentioned much better ways this could have been dealt with. The club has been and continue to be very amateurish about how they've handled this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 219
LeeVanCleef
December 22, 2017, 11:16am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +180
Quoted from Grim74

To try and compare Slade and Fenty with total inaccuracies is very childish,why not try and side with the club you supposedly support and not some discredited reporter who works for a biased organisation.

Maybe we should talk about the contradictory statements made by both Fenty and Slade then.

After Matt's first tweet the club put this out...

'At the request of Curtis, he was welcomed to Cheapside to witness a First Team training session to gain an insight and experience to help progress his own career.'

The club then went further and did an video interview with Slade 3 days later where Slade says, "Curtis text me and said that he wanted to come here and have a little chat"

So the FACT is that twice the club have said Curtis was INVITED to the club (at his own request), so that he could gain further insight to progress his own coaching skills. The players would of known that was the reason he was there. I find it hard to believe that the players then wouldn't of laughed off the tweet at the time, that's if they where even aware at the time as they would of been in training.

For Fenty and Slade to the lie, to excuse their abuse of Matt in the way they did at the forum was an utter disgrace.

It should also be noted that Matt had met with Phil in the days leading up to the forum to put the matter to bed, so Matt was of the opinion that it was then all water under the bridge.

Then Fenty said in the interview a few days after the forum that Slade (and the players thought) he was being sacked. Which of course contradicts the clubs official statement, and the statement from RS that Curtis had asked if he could come along to observe training.

So when you talk about inaccuracies and childishness, perhaps you want to remind yourself of the FACTS.

The clubs continuing behaviour on this matter is an embarrassment. And Slade is just showing himself to be a moody little girl.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 219
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 22, 2017, 11:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Every club needs good PR but not at any cost. Social media has made a huge difference to the way reporters work. In effect anyone can now make the news without anyone else actually doing or saying anything. Is this not what Dean did? At best reported a misunderstanding as fact, at worst he put 2 and 2 and made 22. Neither was he prepared to either admit his error or apologise. As far as Dean is concerned being a reporter of high standing makes him better than the people he reports on.

As far as I can see as a completely unbiased observer, the club (ie JF & RS) made a mistake in the first place by not making the Woodhouse situation crystal clear to all the participants from the off. JF then made catastrophic error number 2 by allowing Dean to chair the fans’ meeting and to take the moral high ground there and make the club look foolish.

Dean is not a friend of the club. Whatever he says about being a supporter can be taken with a large pinch of the proverbial. Dean is a friend of Dean. All reporters are like that because they have to be. None are to be trusted especially these days when they can start a story anonymously and then report on it.

The club is definitely at fault too but, while it may be bad PR, it must be remembered that the club has no obligation to do any PR at all or make any announcements. It would be stupid to do it but that is a fact.

Someone like Dean makes his reputation and his living out out publishing what amounts to gossip and fact is not important to him. You have only to look at the fabrications on the sports pages of the tabloids and even some broadsheets to see what journalists aspire to today. Only the other day  the Independent ran a fabrication about a player revolt at Norwich. I have nothing against Dean as a person, I don’t know him any more than I know JF, but I do know reporters and how they operate. The days of Roy Line, Charlie Eckberg and John Kirkby have gone and JF is very naive if he thinks the modern breed have the same sort of journalistic ethics.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 219
chicaneuk
December 22, 2017, 11:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Grim74

FACT Matt Dean made a false report on a twitter! This false report caused mayhem and he still stubbornly has not even apologised why are you in denial?

Trying to compare

I just don't know how you can side with the club over this incident. They are the only party out of this whole debacle to have come out looking badly. I mean, are you seriously suggesting that all those in the football club are so  thin skinned that a simple piece of speculative journalism (which, honestly, I still have no complaints over frankly) has upset the apple cart so much, that they've closed ranks and are acting like pouty children who've been told they can't have any pudding before they finish their main meal?

No one disputes that Matt Dean screwed up - but it's his job, as a journalist, to try and get the scoop on stories. Sometimes journalists get it wrong, and they get rebuked. But then the club even made a complete hash of that rebuke, and lost all credibility in the process.

I can't even believe that it's come to this frankly, and for Matt Dean to continue to be ostracised by the club and the manager is pathetic. The club needs to grow up, and do it's job, and stop acting like spoiled brats. It's gone beyond embarrassment at this point.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 219
MuddyWaters
December 22, 2017, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Every club needs good PR but not at any cost. Social media has made a huge difference to the way reporters work. In effect anyone can now make the news without anyone else actually doing or saying anything. Is this not what Dean did? At best reported a misunderstanding as fact, at worst he put 2 and 2 and made 22. Neither was he prepared to either admit his error or apologise. As far as Dean is concerned being a reporter of high standing makes him better than the people he reports on.

As far as I can see as a completely unbiased observer, the club (ie JF & RS) made a mistake in the first place by not making the Woodhouse situation crystal clear to all the participants from the off. JF then made catastrophic error number 2 by allowing Dean to chair the fans’ meeting and to take the moral high ground there and make the club look foolish.

Dean is not a friend of the club. Whatever he says about being a supporter can be taken with a large pinch of the proverbial. Dean is a friend of Dean. All reporters are like that because they have to be. None are to be trusted especially these days when they can start a story anonymously and then report on it.

The club is definitely at fault too but, while it may be bad PR, it must be remembered that the club has no obligation to do any PR at all or make any announcements. It would be stupid to do it but that is a fact.

Someone like Dean makes his reputation and his living out out publishing what amounts to gossip and fact is not important to him. You have only to look at the fabrications on the sports pages of the tabloids and even some broadsheets to see what journalists aspire to today. Only the other day  the Independent ran a fabrication about a player revolt at Norwich. I have nothing against Dean as a person, I don’t know him any more than I know JF, but I do know reporters and how they operate. The days of Roy Line, Charlie Eckberg and John Kirkby have gone and JF is very naive if he thinks the modern breed have the same sort of journalistic ethics.

All well & good BUT Slade put out a press release saying that he knew Woodhouse was coming and then said that he thought he was being sacked. It seems that there are one or two with very selective memories.

If you want to go back slightly further, don't forget how Nigel Lowther was treated when he dared to ask about Slade's departure at his re-appointment press conference.
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 219
mariner91
December 22, 2017, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
Good old Grim74. If you're ever unsure about what stance to take over an issue, wait to see which side he goes with and then take the opposite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 219
golfer
December 22, 2017, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
We have got the performers,all we need now for the Jeremy Kyle Show is the lie detector
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 219
Les Brechin
December 22, 2017, 11:47am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
In the words of Mr Spooner....Datt Mean.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 219
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 22, 2017, 11:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

All well & good BUT Slade put out a press release saying that he knew Woodhouse was coming and then said that he thought he was being sacked. It seems that there are one or two with very selective memories.

If you want to go back slightly further, don't forget how Nigel Lowther was treated when he dared to ask about Slade's departure at his re-appointment press conference.

I’m not arguing with anyone over details. Everyone can bring their own set of facts to the table and as far as I can see RS and JF have not coverered themselves with glory OC.

My point has nothing to do with that. It is simply this - there is no moral high ground in this spat. Several people appear to be delighted to have another stick with which to beat JF and fair enough if that is what floats their boat. But it isn’t mine and I suspect I am in the majority of supporters who couldn’t give a monkeys about the business.

But I do say beware of believing anything a digitally based reporter like Dean says. It has about as much credence as a poster on the Fishy quoting a tweet from a player. Just look at what happened this time last year in the Bogle will he, won’t he saga and what happens every summer over transfer possibilities.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 219
MuddyWaters
December 22, 2017, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236

I’m not arguing with anyone over details. Everyone can bring their own set of facts to the table and as far as I can see RS and JF have not coverered themselves with glory OC.

My point has nothing to do with that. It is simply this - there is no moral high ground in this spat. Several people appear to be delighted to have another stick with which to beat JF and fair enough if that is what floats their boat. But it isn’t mine and I suspect I am in the majority of supporters who couldn’t give a monkeys about the business.

But I do say beware of believing anything a digitally based reporter like Dean says. It has about as much credence as a poster on the Fishy quoting a tweet from a player. Just look at what happened this time last year in the Bogle will he, won’t he saga and what happens every summer over transfer possibilities.

Two things - Matt Dean, as you say, is doing his job. JF asks everyone to move on, this after a meeting between Dean and Phil Day and Dean's public humiliation at the forum. Isn't that enough or did he really need Slade to stick the boot in?
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Dean

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.