5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Davec
August 21, 2016, 7:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I'm not getting worried yet, far far too early for that but I think if one person said that they don't have any slight concerns I would say you're lying. So I'm not writing the team off yet I'm just airing the slight concerns I have.

And these are contracts (looking beyond this season)

Mckeown is on a 2 year contract which in theory,  I agree on, but I would be very disappointed if he doesn't have a serious number 2 challenging him like he used to, remember when we had Greg Fleming pushing him, Mckeown was absolutely outstanding that season, but last season and this season he has proved he really does need a number 2 to push him for his place, to stop him getting complacent, he doesn't get complacent on purpose, it's just a natural mindset and it's very hard to get out of it once in it, Warrington is a more than capable stand in keeper yes, but is he a serious number 2? No he isn't. So I would like at some point him to have a proper number 2 pushing him but Paul Hurst told me at the open day that we can't afford one.

Andrew Boyce Luke Summerfield and James Berrett are all competent enough players in my opinion but that's all they are, remember Summerfield and Berrett came from relegated York! and Boyce wasn't exactly well fancied by Hartlepool or Notts County fans, so my question is, are these 3 worth 2 year contracts? I'm dubious on that one.

Scott Vernon I'll single him out because his circumstances are different, he joined us extremely late in pre season, and he offers us something different to Jackson and Bogle which I'm appreciative of but let's remember he's he's in his 30s so as such is he worth a 2 year deal? There is certainly a risk there, surely he's better on a one year deal with maybe a clause or a another years option?

So as I said not mass panic, just a few small concerns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mallyner
August 21, 2016, 8:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Personally I don't feel that Macca needs anybody to push him, he pushes himself.
It was a tragic mistake yesterday, which he will be devastated about and that and poor Shaun's Stevie Gerrard unfortunate step on the ball, cost us the game.

Apart from that we totally outplayed Orient for a lot of the game, without scoring until it was too late.
We fired in a barrage of shots though and their keeper made 2 excellent saves.

However, my main worry since the beginning of the friendlies has been, where are all the necessary goals going to come from this season?

I would like to see better corners and some kind of rehearsed signal system for a free kick. Such as the deadly one that Ben Davies whipped into the six yard box and out the other side, when everybody else seemed to be expecting a floater.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
MuddyWaters
August 21, 2016, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mallyner
Personally I don't feel that Macca needs anybody to push him, he pushes himself.
It was a tragic mistake yesterday, which he will be devastated about and that and poor Shaun's Stevie Gerrard unfortunate step on the ball, cost us the game.

Apart from that we totally outplayed Orient for a lot of the game, without scoring until it was too late.
We fired in a barrage of shots though and their keeper made 2 excellent saves.

However, my main worry since the beginning of the friendlies has been, where are all the necessary goals going to come from this season?

I would like to see better corners and some kind of rehearsed signal system for a free kick. Such as the deadly one that Ben Davies whipped into the six yard box and out the other side, when everybody else seemed to be expecting a floater.

Seems to me that every other club has two goalies, why don't we? He's made two mistakes in a week that you could argue have cost us points - how many more do we drop before we look at an alternative? Are we saying that he's such a good keeper that he's undroppable?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
Abdul19
August 21, 2016, 9:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Couldn't agree more about a second keeper - a 40 year old who's played one (meaningless) senior game in 3 years is not serious back up.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
denni266
August 21, 2016, 9:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Not been posting for a while. i thought it best to start with a clean sheet. as most know i am not a mr hurst fan , New league . new players and all that take time to adjust too, But to start the season again without a main striker with experiance , and basically a relegated midfield. and a stand out center back is asking to go back down again., We wont get away with it in the league. Keep this in mind, we are never too good to go down and pretty football dont win matches,, goals do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
Grim74
August 21, 2016, 9:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Davec
I'm not getting worried yet, far far too early for that but I think if one person said that they don't have any slight concerns I would say you're lying. So I'm not writing the team off yet I'm just airing the slight concerns I have.

And these are contracts (looking beyond this season)

Mckeown is on a 2 year contract which in theory,  I agree on, but I would be very disappointed if he doesn't have a serious number 2 challenging him like he used to, remember when we had Greg Fleming pushing him, Mckeown was absolutely outstanding that season, but last season and this season he has proved he really does need a number 2 to push him for his place, to stop him getting complacent, he doesn't get complacent on purpose, it's just a natural mindset and it's very hard to get out of it once in it, Warrington is a more than capable stand in keeper yes, but is he a serious number 2? No he isn't. So I would like at some point him to have a proper number 2 pushing him but Paul Hurst told me at the open day that we can't afford one.

Andrew Boyce Luke Summerfield and James Berrett are all competent enough players in my opinion but that's all they are, remember Summerfield and Berrett came from relegated York! and Boyce wasn't exactly well fancied by Hartlepool or Notts County fans, so my question is, are these 3 worth 2 year contracts? I'm dubious on that one.

Scott Vernon I'll single him out because his circumstances are different, he joined us extremely late in pre season, and he offers us something different to Jackson and Bogle which I'm appreciative of but let's remember he's he's in his 30s so as such is he worth a 2 year deal? There is certainly a risk there, surely he's better on a one year deal with maybe a clause or a another years option?

So as I said not mass panic, just a few small concerns.

It's crazy to think but what ever the circumstances Hurst should of been a bit more professional dropped his stubbornness and offered Amond a 2 year contract, instead we got a panick buy low scoring journeyman on a 2 year contract.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
Garth
August 21, 2016, 9:27am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Need another goalkeeper before the window closes, can`t believe Hurst saying we can`t afford one, (extra revenue through the gate) doing things on the cheap (Neil Woods as manager) means we are not ambitious enough in our thinking to sustain League football, in my opinion anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
Cloudy
August 21, 2016, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Garth
Need another goalkeeper before the window closes, can`t believe Hurst saying we can`t afford one, (extra revenue through the gate) doing things on the cheap (Neil Woods as manager) means we are not ambitious enough in our thinking to sustain League football, in my opinion anyway

No way did we do things on the cheap under Woods. Wasted huge sums? Yes, not spending? Certainly wasn't the case
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
ginnywings
August 21, 2016, 10:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
It's natural to have slight concerns when you lose 3 games out of 4, but it's a skewed situation because at this stage of the season, with so few games played, it seems very significant.

I can remember the last time we were in League 2 and struggling. Some games we barely created a chance or had a shot in anger and i'm not seeing that at the moment. We comfortably outplayed the league leaders and did the same to Orient yesterday with vastly differing outcomes. I think dropping into non league was a chastening experience and it's made us fans very wary, but to be questioning our league status after 4 games is just taking worries to the extreme. Hurst knows we need more quality and has said so himself. The problem being that wanting it doesn't mean that you can just go out and get it.

Last time we were in the league, we kept bringing in players constantly and we never actually progressed at all. One dead beat replaced another and the cycle continued. I expect that this week will see a concerted effort to redress the problems on the pitch and bring in some experience to the front and back lines.

I think Hurst has earned  the right to be given some leeway and lots of posters said that's what they would do this season, but already the rumblings are starting. Being a 1000 fans down already is a sign of that.

Give it time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 48
Garth
August 21, 2016, 10:22am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Cloudy

No way did we do things on the cheap under Woods. Wasted huge sums? Yes, not spending? Certainly wasn't the case

I was referring to NW himself, its easy to be wise after the event, but an experienced manager at that time would probably have staved off relegation, would have cost more though Hmm!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
cmackenzie4
August 21, 2016, 12:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Spot on again ginny.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
Mallyner
August 21, 2016, 12:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Seems to me that every other club has two goalies, why don't we? He's made two mistakes in a week that you could argue have cost us points - how many more do we drop before we look at an alternative? Are we saying that he's such a good keeper that he's undroppable?

Nobody should be undroppable, but generally Macca is a very reliable keeper and if he was playing yesterday and there were 10 other keepers in competition, I can't see that he would not have made the same mistake.

I haven't got Mariner player, but wasn't that goal straight after the normally superb Danny Andrew, easily outstripped by the Orient forward?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
MuddyWaters
August 21, 2016, 1:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mallyner

Nobody should be undroppable, but generally Macca is a very reliable keeper and if he was playing yesterday and there were 10 other keepers in competition, I can't see that he would not have made the same mistake.

I haven't got Mariner player, but wasn't that goal straight after the normally superb Danny Andrew, easily outstripped by the Orient forward?

That I don't deny, but you could have said the same about Joe Hart 3 months ago.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
Mallyner
August 21, 2016, 4:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That I don't deny, but you could have said the same about Joe Hart 3 months ago.

Touche my friend.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
Mrs Doyle
August 21, 2016, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Don't remember Buckley having large budgets but he did pretty good.

Then again his teams always started slowly also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
grimsby pete
August 21, 2016, 5:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
We always seem to start the season slowly under Hurst,

So no need to worry just yet,

Give it another 10 games and we might be on a long unbeaten run,

Lets hope so anyway.

I do agree we need 3 more players in before the transfer deadline though.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
golfer
August 21, 2016, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimsby pete
We always seem to start the season slowly under Hurst,

So no need to worry just yet,

Give it another 10 games and we might be on a long unbeaten run,

Lets hope so anyway.

I do agree we need 3 more players in before the transfer deadline though.

Didn't get 1 decent cross in from the wings, that said we don't have anybody who can head a ball in the middle. Bogle is getting a bit better though and starting to mature. I really like Jackson and when his woeful heading ability improves he will be a good player. It's still early days so giving them a bit more time , just hope it's not too long before things start to click.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
MarinerRob
August 21, 2016, 9:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
It would have been good to have had a better start but with all the new players it was bound to take a while to find the best team and for them to get to know each other. However after 4 games at the start of last season Bristol Rovers had won one (their first game) and then lost 2 more at home and one away. So only 3 points having played three home games and one away. It wasn't until their seventh game at the end of September when they won again and they then won three on the trot.

And this was with a team who was far more established than Town. I wonder what happened to them at the end of the season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
ginnywings
August 21, 2016, 9:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MarinerRob
It would have been good to have had a better start but with all the new players it was bound to take a while to find the best team and for them to get to know each other. However after 4 games at the start of last season Bristol Rovers had won one (their first game) and then lost 2 more at home and one away. So only 3 points having played three home games and one away. It wasn't until their seventh game at the end of September when they won again and they then won three on the trot.

And this was with a team who was far more established than Town. I wonder what happened to them at the end of the season!

Are you sure? Losing 3 out of the first 4 means certain relegation.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
MarinerRob
August 21, 2016, 9:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Yes that is correct. And after 6 games they only had 4 points.
Go to BBC web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bristol-rovers/results and scroll back to August 2015.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
MarinerRob
August 21, 2016, 9:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Actually I'm wrong, unfortunately. The results pages only go back to August 15th and not the start of the season. I just took the results showing. In fact they won 3 out of the 1st 4. 'Clutching at straws' is the expression I think. Doh!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
Mariner_09
August 21, 2016, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Either way, we could easily go on 8-10 game unbeaten run with 5 or 6 wins included and move nicely into the upper mid table by the end of September.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
eadiee1973
August 22, 2016, 10:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +176
Quoted from MarinerRob

Gas fan. Understand what you are saying about time but factually wrong. Lost to Northampton h in first match then had two away wins at Yeovil and Luton and then a win at home to Barnet, so won 3 of first 4 games. Then we started to lose!! Didn't win at home again until November but our away record, 4 straight away games kept us out of danger. But our team was the same as the Conference season, except Bodin for Monkhouse and knew exactly how they played, we didn't need to bed new players in or get used to new systems. And you're right in that we were more established insofar as the players knew each other.
Am sure you'll be fine, Davies and a few others are very good signings, though those York players! They were awful when we played them back in April. We had to get used to our manager changing systems after a winning match and he still does! Don't know if Hurst does that but don't think any league settles down until 8-10 matches are played. Then we all know a bit more. Unfortunately this year, the change in loan rules will not help us lower league sides if we do need to bring players in....because we will have to wait until January.
Anyway, good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
Mariner_09
August 22, 2016, 11:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Eediee, agree about the loan rules, don't get that idea. Smaller clubs don't have the financial capacity to carry larger squads and it is far better economically to get a one month loan deal when a player gets injured rather than pay one all year and they may only play 3 times in the JPT.

Our problem doesn't look deep rooted or fundamental but easily resolvable, we need to defend set pieces better and cut out individual errors. I agreed with Hursty that it's like last season, the good news is last year once we got a clean sheet we conceded 8 goals in the next 20 games. Once the side gels I am confident we will be ok as we can see very clearly the new players have talent, they just need understanding.

That said, a powerful and athletic centre half plus a goal scoring striker are required. In fairness Hursty tried to re-sign Podge and Toto but they went to Hartlepool. Sadly both of those players are rare breeds. Podge probably won't score as many anyway and who knows Omar and Jackson could become the most formidable partnership in the league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
Tangerine Chris
August 23, 2016, 8:39am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
My only concern is that PH is pinning everything on Bogle being like Podge last season.  A bit of deja vu if you ask me, he did the same with Lenny and he ended up with 14 goals for the season.  That will not be enough to keep us up

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
Abdul19
August 23, 2016, 11:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Will it not? Northampton's top scorer got 15 last season and they won the league by 206 points.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
Ipswin
August 23, 2016, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Abdul19
Will it not? Northampton's top scorer got 15 last season and they won the league by 206 points.

Bloody hell I didn't know they were that good!

Don't see our top scorer getting 15

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
chaos33
August 23, 2016, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,006
Gold Stars: 362
Bit early to be saying how many goals our top scorer might get with credibility I reckon.

Next two games are big opportunities for wins. 4 or even 6 points would probably propel us to a league position (mid/lower mid table)where we're all a little less anxious and doubtful. Trying to look at it like that  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
Mallyner
August 23, 2016, 4:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Bit early to be saying how many goals our top scorer might get with credibility I reckon.

Next two games are big opportunities for wins. 4 or even 6 points would probably propel us to a league position (mid/lower mid table)where we're all a little less anxious and doubtful. Trying to look at it like that  

The tune 'Always look on the bright side of life' has just come into my head.  

I'm with you on that one.

Perhaps we haven't signed the top scorer yet?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
easypeersy
August 23, 2016, 8:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Mariner_09
Either way, we could easily go on 8-10 game unbeaten run with 5 or 6 wins included and move nicely into the upper mid table by the end of September.

Dream on up there in Cloud Cuckoo land!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
rancido
August 24, 2016, 10:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,666
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Grim74

It's crazy to think but what ever the circumstances Hurst should of been a bit more professional dropped his stubbornness and offered Amond a 2 year contract, instead we got a panick buy low scoring journeyman on a 2 year contract.

PH offered Podge a 2 and a half year contract in January which he declined. If he had wanted to stay then he would have accepted that contract.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
lew chaterleys lover
August 24, 2016, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,803
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Mariner_09

ONE win would put us in mid table. The table is embryonic at best at this stage.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
arryarryarry
August 24, 2016, 10:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from rancido

PH offered Podge a 2 and a half year contract in January which he declined. If he had wanted to stay then he would have accepted that contract.

Why sign a contract in January when there was no promise of promotion at that point. Considering his scoring record he would have known that come the end of the season he would clearly be a wanted man.

I'm not saying we should have signed him but why offer him a 2.5 year contract then a few months later a one year contract?

PH does seem to have a history of falling out with strikers.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
chipsandgravy
August 24, 2016, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
From January maybe PH wasn't convinced that Podge was up to League Football and not value for money given the decent contract he would expect.
"Podge offers little" is a frequent comment on Hartlepool forum.  Maybe PH was right all along.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
Ipswin
August 24, 2016, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chipsandgravy

"Podge offers little" is a frequent comment on Hartlepool forum.  Maybe PH was right all along.

Maybe but he still offers far more than those we have got

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
Maringer
August 24, 2016, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Ipswin

Maybe but he still offers far more than those we have got

His one goal in 5 appearances so far this season certainly matches several of our players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
chaos33
August 24, 2016, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,006
Gold Stars: 362
Well we're not going to see who was right about what after 4 bleeding games are we?! Amond's ability to score goals in L2/Hurst's skills of judgement will be fairly self evident by The autumn and winter months. I was unhappy Podge left and we appear to have sanctioned this, but it's not as if he's smashed in 6 goals is it. All in good time. I'm more concerned that we sign another accomplished striker. Podge is the past. It's the present that matters.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
marinerjase
August 24, 2016, 6:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,695
Gold Stars: 155
Think however some don't like acknowledging - it is a step up this season. With a new team. Saw some comments yesterday 'good opportunity to get points'..etc etc - I honestly can't see what thats based on. Given we have never played Stevenage, or Notts C recently - plus we're still finding our settled side. Nor can anyone suggest 'we'll lose against them'..truth be known we dont know. It isnt negative thinking to accept we may not be top 6 or whatever, nor is it accepting mediocrity to be ok for retaining a League place. Expext nothing, each game as it comes, any success is a huge bonus in my eyes. We do need at least 3 in..striker, centre back, midfielder at least. But we also have potentially a pretty good side in time. Must remember its not just us who is learning things as we go..manager and players also.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
EY Mariner
August 24, 2016, 9:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Hurst said after the Wycombe game that he wanted to bring in two more players who could push for first team places straightaway. To me, it seems pretty obvious that the areas we are lightest in are at centre half and centre forward. That is not a criticism of the players we have, but an acknowledgement that we need more, preferably better, options in those areas.

Broadly speaking, however, I've been encouraged by what I've seen in the first four games. Apart from that horror first half at Colchester, we've been very competitive. With better finishing, and some better officiating, we could well be significantly better off than what we are. The next two games are important, and very winnable. But, whatever the results of those games, I think we've seen the potential of this team. I'm confident we'll be fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Kris2
August 25, 2016, 12:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
All we really need is an end product, We took it to Orient in that first half and created chances with nothing to show for it but a couple of penalty shouts. Set piece delivery was poor though dunno if the wind was catching them out but it also seemed like poor delivery. I'm just hoping for players to start becoming more dangerous in the box. It seemed like most chances didn't end up in a decent shot or header.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
Mrs Doyle
August 25, 2016, 4:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Grim74

Hurst probably only acts on instructions from above where money and contracts are concerned.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
A Brace Of Tees
August 25, 2016, 10:47am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry

Why sign a contract in January when there was no promise of promotion at that point. Considering his scoring record he would have known that come the end of the season he would clearly be a wanted man.

Yes, the stampede of clubs clamouring for his signature meant that he was catapulted to the heady heights of Hartlepool.

Er....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
rancido
August 25, 2016, 11:04am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,666
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not saying we should have signed him but why offer him a 2.5 year contract then a few months later a one year contract?

PH does seem to have a history of falling out with strikers.

He could have signed for job security but opted to wait for more money - greed. His bluff was called and now he is playing at the same level, possibly on more money ( ?) at a club that are perennial candidates for relegation. The proverb " a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush " springs to mind !
The final analysis will come at the end of the season when we see how many goals Podge has scored coupled with our position in the league compared to Hartlepool's .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
ginnywings
August 25, 2016, 11:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
He clearly went to a better club. Hartlepool fans said we were tinpot when we came back up. All 3500 of them.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
Ipswin
August 25, 2016, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

Yes, the stampede of clubs clamouring for his signature meant that he was catapulted to the heady heights of Hartlepool.

Er....

He got a longer contract and more money, sounds like a result to me irrespective of who it is with.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
1mickylyons
August 25, 2016, 1:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,392
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Ipswin

He got a longer contract and more money, sounds like a result to me irrespective of who it is with.

He also lied and tried to take the moral high ground to the fans of GTFC.He was great last season now he is irrelevant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
Ipswin
August 25, 2016, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

.He was great last season now he is irrelevant.

Why the fu(k are you posting about him then?

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
Mrbusdriver
August 25, 2016, 7:01pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from ginnywings
It's natural to have slight concerns when you lose 3 games out of 4, but it's a skewed situation because at this stage of the season, with so few games played, it seems very significant.

I can remember the last time we were in League 2 and struggling. Some games we barely created a chance or had a shot in anger and i'm not seeing that at the moment. We comfortably outplayed the league leaders and did the same to Orient yesterday with vastly differing outcomes. I think dropping into non league was a chastening experience and it's made us fans very wary, but to be questioning our league status after 4 games is just taking worries to the extreme. Hurst knows we need more quality and has said so himself. The problem being that wanting it doesn't mean that you can just go out and get it.

Last time we were in the league, we kept bringing in players constantly and we never actually progressed at all. One dead beat replaced another and the cycle continued. I expect that this week will see a concerted effort to redress the problems on the pitch and bring in some experience to the front and back lines.

I think Hurst has earned  the right to be given some leeway and lots of posters said that's what they would do this season, but already the rumblings are starting. Being a 1000 fans down already is a sign of that.

Give it time.

Thank you for your view  

This *****

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
ginnywings
August 25, 2016, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My concerns

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.