5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
August 21, 2016, 9:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Actually I'm wrong, unfortunately. The results pages only go back to August 15th and not the start of the season. I just took the results showing. In fact they won 3 out of the 1st 4. 'Clutching at straws' is the expression I think. Doh!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
Mariner_09
August 21, 2016, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Either way, we could easily go on 8-10 game unbeaten run with 5 or 6 wins included and move nicely into the upper mid table by the end of September.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
eadiee1973
August 22, 2016, 10:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +176
Quoted from MarinerRob
It would have been good to have had a better start but with all the new players it was bound to take a while to find the best team and for them to get to know each other. However after 4 games at the start of last season Bristol Rovers had won one (their first game) and then lost 2 more at home and one away. So only 3 points having played three home games and one away. It wasn't until their seventh game at the end of September when they won again and they then won three on the trot.

And this was with a team who was far more established than Town. I wonder what happened to them at the end of the season!

Gas fan. Understand what you are saying about time but factually wrong. Lost to Northampton h in first match then had two away wins at Yeovil and Luton and then a win at home to Barnet, so won 3 of first 4 games. Then we started to lose!! Didn't win at home again until November but our away record, 4 straight away games kept us out of danger. But our team was the same as the Conference season, except Bodin for Monkhouse and knew exactly how they played, we didn't need to bed new players in or get used to new systems. And you're right in that we were more established insofar as the players knew each other.
Am sure you'll be fine, Davies and a few others are very good signings, though those York players! They were awful when we played them back in April. We had to get used to our manager changing systems after a winning match and he still does! Don't know if Hurst does that but don't think any league settles down until 8-10 matches are played. Then we all know a bit more. Unfortunately this year, the change in loan rules will not help us lower league sides if we do need to bring players in....because we will have to wait until January.
Anyway, good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
Mariner_09
August 22, 2016, 11:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Eediee, agree about the loan rules, don't get that idea. Smaller clubs don't have the financial capacity to carry larger squads and it is far better economically to get a one month loan deal when a player gets injured rather than pay one all year and they may only play 3 times in the JPT.

Our problem doesn't look deep rooted or fundamental but easily resolvable, we need to defend set pieces better and cut out individual errors. I agreed with Hursty that it's like last season, the good news is last year once we got a clean sheet we conceded 8 goals in the next 20 games. Once the side gels I am confident we will be ok as we can see very clearly the new players have talent, they just need understanding.

That said, a powerful and athletic centre half plus a goal scoring striker are required. In fairness Hursty tried to re-sign Podge and Toto but they went to Hartlepool. Sadly both of those players are rare breeds. Podge probably won't score as many anyway and who knows Omar and Jackson could become the most formidable partnership in the league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
Tangerine Chris
August 23, 2016, 8:39am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
My only concern is that PH is pinning everything on Bogle being like Podge last season.  A bit of deja vu if you ask me, he did the same with Lenny and he ended up with 14 goals for the season.  That will not be enough to keep us up

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
Abdul19
August 23, 2016, 11:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Will it not? Northampton's top scorer got 15 last season and they won the league by 206 points.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
Ipswin
August 23, 2016, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Abdul19
Will it not? Northampton's top scorer got 15 last season and they won the league by 206 points.

Bloody hell I didn't know they were that good!

Don't see our top scorer getting 15

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
chaos33
August 23, 2016, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,006
Gold Stars: 362
Bit early to be saying how many goals our top scorer might get with credibility I reckon.

Next two games are big opportunities for wins. 4 or even 6 points would probably propel us to a league position (mid/lower mid table)where we're all a little less anxious and doubtful. Trying to look at it like that  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
Mallyner
August 23, 2016, 4:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chaos33
Bit early to be saying how many goals our top scorer might get with credibility I reckon.

Next two games are big opportunities for wins. 4 or even 6 points would probably propel us to a league position (mid/lower mid table)where we're all a little less anxious and doubtful. Trying to look at it like that  

The tune 'Always look on the bright side of life' has just come into my head.  

I'm with you on that one.

Perhaps we haven't signed the top scorer yet?

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
easypeersy
August 23, 2016, 8:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Mariner_09
Either way, we could easily go on 8-10 game unbeaten run with 5 or 6 wins included and move nicely into the upper mid table by the end of September.

Dream on up there in Cloud Cuckoo land!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My concerns

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.