This thread currently has 5,885 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Tony_GTFC
May 29, 2015, 10:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
Player of the season at Barrow last year, 23 goals, only 24. We could do worse?

Ask any man what nationality he would prefer to be, and ninety nine out of a hundred will tell you that they would prefer to be Englishmen.

CECIL RHODES

Logged Offline
Private Message
nightrider
May 29, 2015, 10:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Andy Cook score goals.
Just not for Grimsby.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
LocalLadGTFC
May 29, 2015, 10:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,373
Gold Stars: 140
Quoted from nightrider
Andy Cook score goals.
Just not for Grimsby.

He did score goals, until we shoved him out of the club pretty much.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 25
blundellpork
May 29, 2015, 10:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,680
Gold Stars: 34
Have heard about some chap called Ross Hannah who can apparently score goals too!

Porky
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
RichMariner
May 29, 2015, 10:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
He was very clearly a confidence player but he needed 9 or 10 consecutive starts to find his rhythm.

It's a run of games we never quite gave him in his second season, but that was partly his fault for not starting it in the best of shape.

But let's not start up this debate again. He's a Barrow player, I think he's from those parts and has friends and family up there, so I think that plays a part too.

I'm 99% sure that we won't be signing him.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
LocalLadGTFC
May 29, 2015, 10:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from blundellpork
Have heard about some chap called Ross Hannah who can apparently score goals too!

Porky

That Dayle Southwell lad did well for Boston last year aswell, also heard of some fella up in Ireland banging them in called Danny North?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 25
Maringer
May 29, 2015, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,690
Gold Stars: 189
I rather hope that we try and sign some strikers who put a bit of effort in for the team (into both games and training). I'm not sure you could ever accuse Cook of this judging by his two seasons at the club.

On the other hand, I'd be happy enough to sign Southwell again or even Hannah, at a push. Not going to happen, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Nelly GTFC
May 29, 2015, 11:07pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,776
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Maringer
On the other hand, I'd be happy enough to sign Southwell again or even Hannah, at a push. Not going to happen, however.
Already signed a new deal with Boston United anyway.

Read yesterday that Southwell had been playing with a Hernia since around February, only got it operated on last week, after the playoffs.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
fiveallive
May 30, 2015, 1:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +230
Gold Stars: 5
If i was Barrow i would snap up Ross Hannah and Andy Cook would score goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
LocalLadGTFC
May 30, 2015, 2:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from fiveallive
If i was Barow i would snap up Ross Hannah and Andy Cook would score goals.

Good mate of mine is press officer at Bradford PA and says that Hannah will be signing there.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 25
May 30, 2015, 5:51am
Guest User
Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I got the impression Andy isn't suited to playing for a club where there is a pressure to deliver three points every week. You could question his fitness levels during his time at Town. Maybe this is a lad who is happy to be a big fish in a small pond.

Dayle Southwell is a different matter altogether, he never really had a chance at Town, he will have grown as a player with a couple of seasons and a bagful of goals under his belt. I'd expect PH will be looking for at least two forwards, I wouldn't rule Dayle out at all. Whether he would want to return to a club that didn't really give him a go is debatable but we're obviously a huge step up and logistically you would imagine we are an option. Is he under contract though as I can't see us paying fees and he's still under 24?
Reply: 10 - 25
DocTower
May 30, 2015, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
I don't think it's on our managers make up to re sign players he's got rid of .  We all feel that certain players haven't  been handled in the right way , but we don't see them day in day out .  I just hope we will see positive improvements in tactics on the field , something to get us out our seats .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Rick12
May 30, 2015, 8:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from DocTower
I don't think it's on our managers make up to re sign players he's got rid of .  We all feel that certain players haven't  been handled in the right way , but we don't see them day in day out .  I just hope we will see positive improvements in tactics on the field , something to get us out our seats .
Yes.Also I feel Hurst is the type of manager that is good at man management.Can see most players liking him and wanting to play for him.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Maringer
May 30, 2015, 8:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd imagine BPA might be a good move for Hannah as I assume he has friends in the area from his time with the Bantams.

I realise that others think differently, but I think the Conference Premier is perhaps just one level too high for him. Wouldn't surprise me to see him score a lot of goals in the Conference North, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
forza ivano
May 30, 2015, 8:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,289
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Good mate of mine is press officer at Bradford PA and says that Hannah will be signing there.

If true that says it all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
KingstonMariner
May 30, 2015, 8:34am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

If true that says it all

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
DocTower
May 30, 2015, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Yes.Also I feel Hurst is the type of manager that is good at man management.Can see most players liking him and wanting to play for him.

Agree with you Rick , think we can see that he is still learning  as a manager . It a slow progress ,  but think he has to be a bit more willey . These teams that try to con the ref , fall rather too easily . I don't like it at all , but they gain the advantage . Being honest all the time doesn't seem to count for much sometimes .
I would also like Disley to be more vocal in talking to the ref  , pointing things that have been missed or a challenge that went unnoticed . Again this is noticeable from other teams , unfortunately this attribute is too vociferous coming  from Pearson .  Hence the number of his bookings not being captain .
Just my opinion though  .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Rick12
May 30, 2015, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from DocTower

Agree with you Rick , think we can see that he is still learning  as a manager . It a slow progress ,  but think he has to be a bit more willey . These teams that try to con the ref , fall rather too easily . I don't like it at all , but they gain the advantage . Being honest all the time doesn't seem to count for much sometimes .
I would also like Disley to be more vocal in talking to the ref  , pointing things that have been missed or a challenge that went unnoticed . Again this is noticeable from other teams , unfortunately this attribute is too vociferous coming  from Pearson .  Hence the number of his bookings not being captain .
Just my opinion though  .
Yes.The FA should do something about that though. As for Pearson. Possible shout for captaincy?

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Maringer
May 30, 2015, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Pearson has actually gobbed off to the referee a lot less this season to the benefit of his game and the number of bookings he has received has dropped right off. Now he's less of a hot head, he might well be suited for the Captain's role. However, I can't see any way that Hurst will take the captaincy from Disley.

Disley has never been a vocal player as such but he does lead by example with his workrate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
moosey_club
May 30, 2015, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,326
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Read yesterday that Southwell had been playing with a Hernia since around February, only got it operated on last week, after the playoffs.

Southwell played up top with M.Jones most of last season not A.Hernia  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
bostonian
May 31, 2015, 4:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

The above is correct ,   Dayle missed a lot of  playing time by being subbed in matches because of his hernia in the last third of the season .   Otherwise I think he would have topped 35 goals for the season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Nelly GTFC
May 31, 2015, 4:32pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,776
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from bostonian
The above is correct ,   Dayle missed a lot of  playing time by being subbed in matches because of his hernia in the last third of the season .   Otherwise I think he would have topped 35 goals for the season .
Good that he's shown some loyalty to Boston, I say that because I woudn't be surprised if their was interest in our league for him, maybe higher with him being only 21.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Eastendmariner
May 31, 2015, 4:35pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Ross is a loss  hurst didn't play him enough  then let him go  the shop cleared off  so in my opinion a big mistake  letting Ross go

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
rancido
May 31, 2015, 4:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,662
Gold Stars: 102
The thing that Hannah, Cook and Southwell have in common is that most of their goals ( I emphasise the word most for all those picky ones on here ! ) have come at a lower level of football than ours. I'm not for a minute suggesting they couldn't do it at a higher level but the step up a league and the expectations of playing for a professional team with the short term goal of winning promotion back into the Football League is a big ask of some players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Maringer
May 31, 2015, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
To be fair to Cook, he did score 17 for Barrow in the Conference Premier in the season before he joined us.

One of the issues when he was here may have been that we tried to play him as a target man and he really didn't look up to this job much of the time. He played off Boyes (I think?) at Barrow when he scored those 17 goals.

Still not convinced by him, however. It seems he's happier back at Barrow nearer family and friends so we'll be looking elsewhere I'm certain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
DocTower
May 31, 2015, 5:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair to Cook, he did score 17 for Barrow in the Conference Premier in the season before he joined us.

One of the issues when he was here may have been that we tried to play him as a target man and he really didn't look up to this job much of the time. He played off Boyes (I think?) at Barrow when he scored those 17 goals.

Still not convinced by him, however. It seems he's happier back at Barrow nearer family and friends so we'll be looking elsewhere I'm certain.

I still feel that Hurst has and still will have his favorites,  to the detriment of others . We see players come and go , players who we feel like yourself could be better for an extended run , not just bit parts  . I did like Cook , but if he wasn't happy here , was best for both parties to go . Just wondering who will up front this coming season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Andy Cook

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.