Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tony_GTFC, May 29, 2015, 10:36pm
Player of the season at Barrow last year, 23 goals, only 24. We could do worse?
Posted by: nightrider, May 29, 2015, 10:41pm; Reply: 1
Andy Cook score goals.
Just not for Grimsby.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 29, 2015, 10:43pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from nightrider
Andy Cook score goals.
Just not for Grimsby.

He did score goals, until we shoved him out of the club pretty much.

Posted by: blundellpork, May 29, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 3
Have heard about some chap called Ross Hannah who can apparently score goals too!

Porky
Posted by: RichMariner, May 29, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 4
He was very clearly a confidence player but he needed 9 or 10 consecutive starts to find his rhythm.

It's a run of games we never quite gave him in his second season, but that was partly his fault for not starting it in the best of shape.

But let's not start up this debate again. He's a Barrow player, I think he's from those parts and has friends and family up there, so I think that plays a part too.

I'm 99% sure that we won't be signing him.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 29, 2015, 10:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from blundellpork
Have heard about some chap called Ross Hannah who can apparently score goals too!

Porky

That Dayle Southwell lad did well for Boston last year aswell, also heard of some fella up in Ireland banging them in called Danny North?
Posted by: Maringer, May 29, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 6
I rather hope that we try and sign some strikers who put a bit of effort in for the team (into both games and training). I'm not sure you could ever accuse Cook of this judging by his two seasons at the club.

On the other hand, I'd be happy enough to sign Southwell again or even Hannah, at a push. Not going to happen, however.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 29, 2015, 11:07pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Maringer
On the other hand, I'd be happy enough to sign Southwell again or even Hannah, at a push. Not going to happen, however.
Already signed a new deal with Boston United anyway.

Read yesterday that Southwell had been playing with a Hernia since around February, only got it operated on last week, after the playoffs.
Posted by: fiveallive, May 30, 2015, 1:36am; Reply: 8
If i was Barrow i would snap up Ross Hannah and Andy Cook would score goals.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 30, 2015, 2:31am; Reply: 9
Quoted from fiveallive
If i was Barow i would snap up Ross Hannah and Andy Cook would score goals.

Good mate of mine is press officer at Bradford PA and says that Hannah will be signing there.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 30, 2015, 5:51am; Reply: 10
Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I got the impression Andy isn't suited to playing for a club where there is a pressure to deliver three points every week. You could question his fitness levels during his time at Town. Maybe this is a lad who is happy to be a big fish in a small pond.

Dayle Southwell is a different matter altogether, he never really had a chance at Town, he will have grown as a player with a couple of seasons and a bagful of goals under his belt. I'd expect PH will be looking for at least two forwards, I wouldn't rule Dayle out at all. Whether he would want to return to a club that didn't really give him a go is debatable but we're obviously a huge step up and logistically you would imagine we are an option. Is he under contract though as I can't see us paying fees and he's still under 24?
Posted by: DocTower, May 30, 2015, 7:47am; Reply: 11
I don't think it's on our managers make up to re sign players he's got rid of .  We all feel that certain players haven't  been handled in the right way , but we don't see them day in day out .  I just hope we will see positive improvements in tactics on the field , something to get us out our seats .
Posted by: Rick12, May 30, 2015, 8:03am; Reply: 12
Quoted from DocTower
I don't think it's on our managers make up to re sign players he's got rid of .  We all feel that certain players haven't  been handled in the right way , but we don't see them day in day out .  I just hope we will see positive improvements in tactics on the field , something to get us out our seats .
Yes.Also I feel Hurst is the type of manager that is good at man management.Can see most players liking him and wanting to play for him.
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 8:11am; Reply: 13
I'd imagine BPA might be a good move for Hannah as I assume he has friends in the area from his time with the Bantams.

I realise that others think differently, but I think the Conference Premier is perhaps just one level too high for him. Wouldn't surprise me to see him score a lot of goals in the Conference North, however.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2015, 8:24am; Reply: 14
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Good mate of mine is press officer at Bradford PA and says that Hannah will be signing there.

If true that says it all
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2015, 8:34am; Reply: 15
Quoted from forza ivano

If true that says it all

;D
Posted by: DocTower, May 30, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Rick12
Yes.Also I feel Hurst is the type of manager that is good at man management.Can see most players liking him and wanting to play for him.

Agree with you Rick , think we can see that he is still learning  as a manager . It a slow progress ,  but think he has to be a bit more willey . These teams that try to con the ref , fall rather too easily . I don't like it at all , but they gain the advantage . Being honest all the time doesn't seem to count for much sometimes .
I would also like Disley to be more vocal in talking to the ref  , pointing things that have been missed or a challenge that went unnoticed . Again this is noticeable from other teams , unfortunately this attribute is too vociferous coming  from Pearson .  Hence the number of his bookings not being captain .
Just my opinion though  .
Posted by: Rick12, May 30, 2015, 10:07am; Reply: 17
Quoted from DocTower

Agree with you Rick , think we can see that he is still learning  as a manager . It a slow progress ,  but think he has to be a bit more willey . These teams that try to con the ref , fall rather too easily . I don't like it at all , but they gain the advantage . Being honest all the time doesn't seem to count for much sometimes .
I would also like Disley to be more vocal in talking to the ref  , pointing things that have been missed or a challenge that went unnoticed . Again this is noticeable from other teams , unfortunately this attribute is too vociferous coming  from Pearson .  Hence the number of his bookings not being captain .
Just my opinion though  .
Yes.The FA should do something about that though. As for Pearson. Possible shout for captaincy?

Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 18
Pearson has actually gobbed off to the referee a lot less this season to the benefit of his game and the number of bookings he has received has dropped right off. Now he's less of a hot head, he might well be suited for the Captain's role. However, I can't see any way that Hurst will take the captaincy from Disley.

Disley has never been a vocal player as such but he does lead by example with his workrate.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 30, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Read yesterday that Southwell had been playing with a Hernia since around February, only got it operated on last week, after the playoffs.

Southwell played up top with M.Jones most of last season not A.Hernia  ;)
Posted by: bostonian, May 31, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

The above is correct ,   Dayle missed a lot of  playing time by being subbed in matches because of his hernia in the last third of the season .   Otherwise I think he would have topped 35 goals for the season .
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 31, 2015, 4:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from bostonian
The above is correct ,   Dayle missed a lot of  playing time by being subbed in matches because of his hernia in the last third of the season .   Otherwise I think he would have topped 35 goals for the season .
Good that he's shown some loyalty to Boston, I say that because I woudn't be surprised if their was interest in our league for him, maybe higher with him being only 21.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, May 31, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 22
Ross is a loss  hurst didn't play him enough  then let him go  the shop cleared off  so in my opinion a big mistake  letting Ross go
Posted by: rancido, May 31, 2015, 4:55pm; Reply: 23
The thing that Hannah, Cook and Southwell have in common is that most of their goals ( I emphasise the word most for all those picky ones on here ! ) have come at a lower level of football than ours. I'm not for a minute suggesting they couldn't do it at a higher level but the step up a league and the expectations of playing for a professional team with the short term goal of winning promotion back into the Football League is a big ask of some players.
Posted by: Maringer, May 31, 2015, 5:07pm; Reply: 24
To be fair to Cook, he did score 17 for Barrow in the Conference Premier in the season before he joined us.

One of the issues when he was here may have been that we tried to play him as a target man and he really didn't look up to this job much of the time. He played off Boyes (I think?) at Barrow when he scored those 17 goals.

Still not convinced by him, however. It seems he's happier back at Barrow nearer family and friends so we'll be looking elsewhere I'm certain.
Posted by: DocTower, May 31, 2015, 5:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair to Cook, he did score 17 for Barrow in the Conference Premier in the season before he joined us.

One of the issues when he was here may have been that we tried to play him as a target man and he really didn't look up to this job much of the time. He played off Boyes (I think?) at Barrow when he scored those 17 goals.

Still not convinced by him, however. It seems he's happier back at Barrow nearer family and friends so we'll be looking elsewhere I'm certain.

I still feel that Hurst has and still will have his favorites,  to the detriment of others . We see players come and go , players who we feel like yourself could be better for an extended run , not just bit parts  . I did like Cook , but if he wasn't happy here , was best for both parties to go . Just wondering who will up front this coming season .
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 11:13am