Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scotland  v  England.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 152 Guests

Scotland  v  England.

This thread currently has 6,885 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
November 19, 2014, 3:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
When the Scots were going for independence they said they would still have the Queen as head of state,

So why did they boo the national anthem ?

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
jock dock tower
November 19, 2014, 4:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The SNP government said that they wanted to keep the queen as a sop to try and win over middle ground votes. The vast majority of the independence campaigners, certainly that I know, wanted to be become a republic and have the money spent on Scottish infrastructure and services rather than the royals. I think it has almost become the norm nowadays to boo certain national anthems it? Anyway, the bit in it about wanting to vanquish the Scots might have had something to do with it.

The whole thing about independence isn't simply going to go away now though Peter, and these are still exciting times politically up here.

Anyway, back to the fitba. Didn't watch the game as I was otherwise engaged in training for some voluntary work, but it sounded as if the defeat was well merited. Looking at it from Strachan's view I suppose it's good to get those kind of results out of the way in friendly games. He'll certainly have plenty to do to ensure it doesn't happen again in a competitive match, luckily it's Gibraltar at home! I know a good number of fitba friends of mine who refused to go because of the ridiculous price asking for a ticket (£60) Twice what it was to watch Scotland in Dortmund play the world champions!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
mariner91
November 19, 2014, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from jock dock tower
The SNP government said that they wanted to keep the queen as a sop to try and win over middle ground votes. The vast majority of the independence campaigners, certainly that I know, wanted to be become a republic and have the money spent on Scottish infrastructure and services rather than the royals. I think it has almost become the norm nowadays to boo certain national anthems it? Anyway, the bit in it about wanting to vanquish the Scots might have had something to do with it.

No. It hasn't. No matter how you try and dress it up Jock it was puerile and a bit pathetic. If you all hate England so much you should have all voted yes but you didn't, you bottled it like you bottled the football. The Scots showed a complete lack of class for booing the anthem and then had the nerve to complain about some (equally moronic) England fans singing anti-IRA songs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
jock dock tower
November 19, 2014, 6:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Steady on old boy, I suggested that it had become something of the norm - with a question mark against that - and I've heard it with other countries and with other sports as well.

Nobody's saying that Scotland "hates England" that was rubbish put about by the media who had their own agenda to follow.

May I suggest you remove the chips off both of your shoulders and have a wee dram or two and settle down.

The English chanting the anti IRA songs was probably predictable, given that they were playing at Parkhead. It's not just those singing  though as the England band were playing the music for them to sing along to according to the report in the Guardian today. It's really water off a duck's back in Glasgow though where sectarianism and bigotry are still, very sadly, prevalent at both Rangers and Celtic.

BTW, I'm Welsh.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
grimsby pete
November 19, 2014, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
I would bet there will be another vote for independence in the next 10 years and this time it will result in a yes,

Then the Scots can moan about their own government instead of the London one,

The SNP are saying they could hold the balance of power at the next elections,

Now who would you like to be in partnership with,

SNP or UKIP  ?

What a thought.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
psgmariner
November 19, 2014, 7:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Booing anthems is the norm. Everyone does it. I couldn't care less. Don't know why they bother playing them at all.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
mariner91
November 19, 2014, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
Steady on old boy, I suggested that it had become something of the norm - with a question mark against that - and I've heard it with other countries and with other sports as well.

Nobody's saying that Scotland "hates England" that was rubbish put about by the media who had their own agenda to follow.

May I suggest you remove the chips off both of your shoulders and have a wee dram or two and settle down.

The English chanting the anti IRA songs was probably predictable, given that they were playing at Parkhead. It's not just those singing  though as the England band were playing the music for them to sing along to according to the report in the Guardian today. It's really water off a duck's back in Glasgow though where sectarianism and bigotry are still, very sadly, prevalent at both Rangers and Celtic.

BTW, I'm Welsh.

Apologies, was a bit over the top. It just really irked me that it was booed. As far as I'm concerned, we're still one country and are better together and have done great things together. So whilst we're still one country a bit of respect towards the other's national anthem wouldn't go amiss in my opinion. And she's still the Scottish queen as well!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
psgmariner
November 19, 2014, 7:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We would boo the argies wouldn't we? It's pantomime stuff.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
mariner91
November 19, 2014, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
We would boo the argies wouldn't we? It's pantomime stuff.

I don't know if we would for certain.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
jock dock tower
November 19, 2014, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
I do

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scotland  v  England.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.