RichMariner
August 1, 2014, 10:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,171
Gold Stars: 212
Quoted from Abdul19

Also Menno Willems! Weird how people only remember (sweet!) left footed set piece takers.

I was saying this to my mate just the other day - left footed set piece takers are seen as a luxury. They're always described as having "a great left peg" but I very rarely hear anyone being described as having "a great right peg".

Similarly, no one says "he's got a poor touch for a small man".

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
arryarryarry
August 1, 2014, 3:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Suprise suprise, someone who has played the game at a decent level and understands it rates LJL.
Here comes the crosses, but, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anyone who doesn't rate Lenny at this level doesn't understand the game.

As someone who goes to just about every game home and away so has seen enough performances by LJL, it's my opinion that Cilla Black has a better understanding of the game than you.

Surprise Surprise.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
pontoonlew
August 1, 2014, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Suprise suprise, someone who has played the game at a decent level and understands it rates LJL.
Here comes the crosses, but, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anyone who doesn't rate Lenny at this level doesn't understand the game.

Pretty ignorant comment. Firstly I don't think you'll find many that don't see what he brings, it's whether or not that warrants a start every season. It's a common misconception amongst people who have a go at anybody that questions LJL. I want him in the squad, but you look at most target men in football in general, a high proportion don't play every game I'd they aren't a goalscorer. They are rotated in when suited and when a game requires them. I think a frustration is that we seem to do it the other way round.

I'll probably get loads of negatives yet again because people will blindly see that as 'abuse' but I'd like to think I've offered a different opinion. The people who want LJL away from the side all together are very few and far between.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
tarka
August 1, 2014, 8:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Problem with being one of the younger fans!! Think Tees and Brace would have achieved this in 71:72 season with Hickman and Lewis in double figures as well.

Back into hibernation now until season starts but would say still not satisfied with our central strike force for coming season but time will tell if I am wrong.

The interesting thing here is that Lawrie McMenemy was a centre half (and a non league centre half at that!)....so much for the theories that you need to be a striker to coach strikers!!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
brad_gtfc
August 2, 2014, 1:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from pontoonlew

Pretty ignorant comment. Firstly I don't think you'll find many that don't see what he brings, it's whether or not that warrants a start every season. It's a common misconception amongst people who have a go at anybody that questions LJL. I want him in the squad, but you look at most target men in football in general, a high proportion don't play every game I'd they aren't a goalscorer. They are rotated in when suited and when a game requires them. I think a frustration is that we seem to do it the other way round.

I'll probably get loads of negatives yet again because people will blindly see that as 'abuse' but I'd like to think I've offered a different opinion. The people who want LJL away from the side all together are very few and far between.

Your right it was a pretty arrogant comment, do apologise, just fed up of the constant slagging off he gets to be honest. As Hurst has said if you ask anybody in the squad if they want him in the team, they say yes & I'd bet any defender would rather play against Hannah, Southwell, Cook than LJL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
davmariner
August 2, 2014, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from brad_gtfc

Your right it was a pretty arrogant comment, do apologise, just fed up of the constant slagging off he gets to be honest. As Hurst has said if you ask anybody in the squad if they want him in the team, they say yes & I'd bet any defender would rather play against Hannah, Southwell, Cook than LJL.

People do understand what he brings to the team, just that they don't think it's enough. It isn't like he didn't get the chances to score, but his composure is so poor that he fluffed many 'sitters'.

We didn't score nearly enough goals up front last seasons so you can't expect people to not question Hurst's logic of him being the first name on the team sheet. The teams that win leagues have players that can do a similar job to the Shop, but also score goals.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 2, 2014, 11:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,784
Gold Stars: 82
Interesting in a way that LJL is the subject of so much debate and I believe Pontoon Lew's most recent comment is pretty much how most of us see it, he is  great man to have in the squad but should he be automatically the first choice. My other point is that with LJL taking up so much of the debate Hannah's performances often slip under the radar. For me since his permanent signing he has been disappointing particularly how often he is caught offside, his inability to hold the ball and what I would regard as a lack of good movement both off the ball & when looking for some through passes from midfield. Appreciate his supply from out wide and from midfield has not always been of the best quality however, I recall some real quality crosses going in, particularly from Thomas, towards the end of the season which nobody got near. Maybe if LJL had played a whole season with Hearn we would be happier with his contribution, anyway that is speculation but I would like to see a quality striker for this level on our books sooner rather than later, and I expect I am not alone in that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
davmariner
August 2, 2014, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Interesting in a way that LJL is the subject of so much debate and I believe Pontoon Lew's most recent comment is pretty much how most of us see it, he is  great man to have in the squad but should he be automatically the first choice. My other point is that with LJL taking up so much of the debate Hannah's performances often slip under the radar. For me since his permanent signing he has been disappointing particularly how often he is caught offside, his inability to hold the ball and what I would regard as a lack of good movement both off the ball & when looking for some through passes from midfield. Appreciate his supply from out wide and from midfield has not always been of the best quality however, I recall some real quality crosses going in, particularly from Thomas, towards the end of the season which nobody got near. Maybe if LJL had played a whole season with Hearn we would be happier with his contribution, anyway that is speculation but I would like to see a quality striker for this level on our books sooner rather than later, and I expect I am not alone in that.

Definitely agree about Hannah, been very disappointed with him.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
Madeleymariner
August 2, 2014, 11:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,074
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from davmariner

People do understand what he brings to the team, just that they don't think it's enough. It isn't like he didn't get the chances to score, but his composure is so poor that he fluffed many 'sitters'.

We didn't score nearly enough goals up front last seasons so you can't expect people to not question Hurst's logic of him being the first name on the team sheet. The teams that win leagues have players that can do a similar job to the Shop, but also score goals.

He didn't fluff as many sitters as Hannah, I got to about 12 games last season and saw him miss 4 one on ones when clean through with time to pick his spot and that goal at Alfreton was a pure fluke as he totally mishit it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca on LJL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.