wigworld
December 10, 2013, 11:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from gary_elton
I predicted 2,800 and something... what was the actual gate ???

2,400 and something.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 53
MarinersOnTheUp
December 10, 2013, 11:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Though we didn't play anyway near our best, I thaught the amount of boo's and getting on players backs from a small minority was disgusting. (Specifically some bloke in the upper Findus on row H around seat 100 who shouts abuse at players if they don't win the toss to decide who plays which way first!)
In my eyes fans should try and inspire and motivate a team to get back into a game and to do better when things aren't going well, not cause a fuss if someone dares pass backwards or overplays a pass. I understand it was fustrating to watch tonight but come on...

Other than that, poor game really, not helped by a shocking set of officials. Credit where due for fighting till the end!
UTM

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
StiggsGTFC
December 10, 2013, 11:22pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from moosey_club
Absolutely amazed we got an equaliser....we looked like a team that thought we could just turn up and claim three points....very evident they wanted the ball more, won most of the first and second challenges and we were awful in possession, very slack passing and far too many times players not communicating with each other and either going for the same ball both leaving it for the other.
Pearson, Macdonald, Thomas and Southwell only gain any credit with me after that.

However on the positive front...Hurst made the tactical switch which rescued a point, we keep the unbeaten run going and a late goal adds a little bit of steel to the team.

Oh and dont get me started on the ref....

Games like this and Hearns long term absence may tempt us to go for an unpredictable impact player in January as it was crying out for something a little different tonight.

UTM

You forgot Rodman, who was our only attacking threat likely to create a problem to their defence. The only time we looked like causing a problem when we ran at their defends and that was Rodman......he had a decent game......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
oldun
December 10, 2013, 11:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Les Brechin

Soccer!!!!

Yeah your right, wrong choice of word, sounds a bit poncy and American . Apologies to all my readers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
highcliff mariner
December 11, 2013, 12:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
OrogionL post sums it up   Welling came pRked the bus , grabbed. A some whT fortunate goL then proceeded to spoil And waste time for the rest of the the gAme aided and abetted superbly by what I think is one of the worst performances from a ref that I can remember , they were gutted with our last gasp goal being in the 97 th min but tbh 15 mins of added time would ov been about right , awful awful game but a hard earned point in the end.
Didn't understNd the neilson / coulbecks change or in deed the Lewis / cook change, oh and is Thomas the only one capable of putting a cross into the box , and rodman for me flatters to deceive , and on the other side coulbecks must soon be due one of his good games ?
UTM
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
Abdul19
December 11, 2013, 12:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Soccer's an English word.

The game was rubbish, can't blame Welling for exploiting the shitness of the ref. But credit to Town for keeping going, in seasons gone by we'd have got nothing out of that.

The lack of incisiveness is a worry, hopefully we'll have some fresh ideas next Thursday (Saturday can fuck off).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
Sigone
December 11, 2013, 12:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Gotta say there fair haired central defender played shop better than anyone so far this season. Disley had his poorest game for a while too. Thought we played too straight & didn't get round the back of them enough & when we did we didn't cross the ball, just worked it back out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
maxfox44
December 11, 2013, 10:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Well as others have said it wasn't a great night for us.  Looked like a game the team or the fans didn't really wanted.  I don't know whether the fact that they were looking to do the double over us had any effect, but we just didn't look right and this wasn't helped by the crowd, very flat atmosphere.

It will be interesting to see how the next few games pan-out, I suspect that teams might have found ways to combat us, I wouldn't go quite as far to say they have found us out.  But we need a little more variation.

Negatives
Disley is chasing shadows and is not a leader
Number of bookings
One tactic, hoofing into their centre backs (for most of the game)

Positives
Kerr is acting captain, looks to be positive (but does make a few mistakes) and drive the team on
We kept going and deserved a goal
Hurst has got the wide man working well, Scotty N, looks more like the player of last season
Southwell, not his greatest fan, but look at the goal tally
We got a point!

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
grimsby pete
December 11, 2013, 10:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,838
Gold Stars: 222
We are a non league team and will get some shite performances now and again,

I have watched 3 Man Utd games on the telly this last week,

AND

For all their stars and the fortune they pay them,

Well they were shite in all 3 games,

UTM.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 11, 2013, 10:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,784
Gold Stars: 82
Have to concur that last night was a very poor performance and you do wonder what part the poor crowd and very flat, nay non-existent, atmosphere, played in this. Catch 22 that crowd help motivate the players but players also need to lift the crowd.

I was shocked by low attendance, alarmed at 7.30pm when there seemed about 50 in the ground, but then looked up last night's other attendances to see Chimps had 1400 and Cambridge 2200 so clearly home night matches in December not good for raising income.

Thought Welling were poor but had two competitive centre backs who were excellent in the air and there number 10 was a bloody nuisance without offering much of a goal threat. One real positive were the two fantastic saves by our keeper which kept us in the game and fact that we salvaged a point, ok thats two real positives.

Even though we were very por they never really threatened but last night highlighted weaknesses we have mentioned previously and centre on our inability to dominate midfield on a regular basis. Disley had another shocker and is not having a great season whilst I thought Kerr gave is all but perhaps struggled to play two games in four days which affected his game. Up front LJL had probably most ineffective game of season and Hannah never showed for the ball or got in the channels to give our midfield or defence options to get the ball moving quickly. Our control of the ball was very poor meaning second touch was often a tackle and wingers, despite two or three excellent runs, never got past their man and created opportunities. Without Hearn to come on we look limited upfront and although Cook not played much he seems to have lost all aerial ability which was in main strength last year.

Bit concerned that the fixture list over Christmas will be too much for our squad and to be critical of Hurst last night not sure why he did not ring on Paddy just after half time given how Dis was playing and with hindsight, Thanoj on bench may have helped give us some legs in midfield.

Confident we will make the play offs but no more unless 2 or 3 reinforcements arrive in early Jan. Two midfielders and a striker for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.