3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
March 16, 2013, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,973
Gold Stars: 79
Fairly obvious that teams have worked out how to play against and playing a 442 with deep central midfielders and a reliance on wingers does not work anymore. Teams can just get their full-backs tight on our wingers, have 3 in central midfield and push our central midfield very deep. Hope the managers realise that Devitt and Marshall are not effective enough; Marshall is too ineffective, too lightweight, reluctant to tackle and doesn't know when and how to cross whereas Devitt does not have enough urgency about his play and his crossing has been below par. I've said this for a while, that we miss Scott Neilson. He may be a complete helmet, but his work rate, delivery, strength is greater than both Devitt and Marshall's put together.

A lot of people were giving Brodie so much abuse, yet Cook had a very poor game. Brodie won his headers only for no-one to run onto his flick ons and at times had to single handedly try to make something out of nothing due to a lack of support. He had a couple of attempts that maybe he could have scored but certainly didn't deserve the abuse he received. There were other players who were significantly poorer than Brodie but I'll reserve the criticisms for the just back thread. It's clear that the managers haven't got an effective alternative for when things aren't working out. Well anyway, what's my solution? Here goes:

A 433. We need to take control of the central midfield area in matches; there's no point in having wingers if you cannot get the ball to them. Niven breaking up opposition play with Disley and Naylor pulling the strings and feeding balls for the strikers to run onto. We should play with 3 strikers, the two wide forwards can run the channels, receiving balls from Cook's flick ons or running onto balls threaded through to them. Brodie plays best on the right of a forward 3 as he likes to cut inside and distribute the ball/shoot. Hearn also played this role at Alfreton, and I certainly think that he can feed off Cook and play on the shoulder of the defender. Hannah can also be effective in this position. Either full back can support attacking phases, with Niven tucking in behind them in order to combat counter attacks.

Thoughts?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
March 16, 2013, 8:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from davmariner
Fairly obvious that teams have worked out how to play against and playing a 442 with deep central midfielders and a reliance on wingers does not work anymore. Teams can just get their full-backs tight on our wingers, have 3 in central midfield and push our central midfield very deep. Hope the managers realise that Devitt and Marshall are not effective enough; Marshall is too ineffective, too lightweight, reluctant to tackle and doesn't know when and how to cross whereas Devitt does not have enough urgency about his play and his crossing has been below par. I've said this for a while, that we miss Scott Neilson. He may be a complete helmet, but his work rate, delivery, strength is greater than both Devitt and Marshall's put together.

A lot of people were giving Brodie so much abuse, yet Cook had a very poor game. Brodie won his headers only for no-one to run onto his flick ons and at times had to single handedly try to make something out of nothing due to a lack of support. He had a couple of attempts that maybe he could have scored but certainly didn't deserve the abuse he received. There were other players who were significantly poorer than Brodie but I'll reserve the criticisms for the just back thread. It's clear that the managers haven't got an effective alternative for when things aren't working out. Well anyway, what's my solution? Here goes:

A 433. We need to take control of the central midfield area in matches; there's no point in having wingers if you cannot get the ball to them. Niven breaking up opposition play with Disley and Naylor pulling the strings and feeding balls for the strikers to run onto. We should play with 3 strikers, the two wide forwards can run the channels, receiving balls from Cook's flick ons or running onto balls threaded through to them. Brodie plays best on the right of a forward 3 as he likes to cut inside and distribute the ball/shoot. Hearn also played this role at Alfreton, and I certainly think that he can feed off Cook and play on the shoulder of the defender. Hannah can also be effective in this position. Either full back can support attacking phases, with Niven tucking in behind them in order to combat counter attacks.

Thoughts?

I have some sympathy with this idea.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
brad_gtfc
March 16, 2013, 8:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I definitely think a change of formation is need, im not a fan of 4-3-3. But somethings got to change and we can't swap the personel that much so for me it should be the formation.

McKeown

Wood      Miller     Pearson    Thomas

Naylor

Disley       Artus

Brodie           Hannah      Devitt

If people are fit, thats my team for Tuesday. It wont happen like but y'know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
oldun
March 16, 2013, 8:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I don't think Pearson will be fit for Tuesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
Maringer
March 16, 2013, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
I think Naylor, Niven and Disley have the pace and ability to play together as a central 3 in midfield. The problem, of course, is that two of them are currently injured and Naylor will be deputising in defence until Pearson recovers!

Other than that, playing 3 in the middle is a great idea.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
aaron rattray
March 16, 2013, 8:40pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I agree, its all one plan, not a very good plan, are scott and hurst clever enough to realise this?,if they are why arnt they acting?

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
davmariner
March 17, 2013, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,973
Gold Stars: 79
Some of their substitutions have puzzled me and it seems that they don't really know what to do to change a game for the better when things aren't going our way. What is clear to me is that these two still have a lot to learn as managers.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
aaron rattray
March 17, 2013, 1:19pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from davmariner
Some of their substitutions have puzzled me and it seems that they don't really know what to do to change a game for the better when things aren't going our way. What is clear to me is that these two still have a lot to learn as managers.

Agree

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
MuddyWaters
March 17, 2013, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

Thoughts?

Agree totally. We've looked very one dimensional particularly since Nielson went & even in games where we've played OK (Wrexham, Luton, Dartford), there have been long periods where we haven't had the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
TWAreaTownSupporter
March 17, 2013, 2:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Buggering about with formations late in a season is only for really good sides - and by that I exclude most teams in the British leagues.  Formations dont win matches. Players do. 442, 433, 451 means nothing if the players don't know their role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumbled

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.